New Member- Just Bought GS450A Suzukimatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member- Just Bought GS450A Suzukimatic

Hello everyone! I am excited to be on this forum after lurking for a little while. I just purchased a '83 Suzukimatic last Thursday and just say that I am very pleased so far. I just dropped it off today to have it completely looked over since I am no where near mechanically inclined and want to make sure that it is safe to ride. The brakes were squeaking quite a bit, and it is leaking a small amount of oil from somewhere. Also since it is an '83 and I am coming off of selling my 2009 Aprilia Mana which definitely felt quite a bit different from the Suzuki. I personally love the automatic and know that a lot of people dislike them, but it is great to just twist and go and not have to do a lot while enjoying the ride. I also like that the bike doesn't weigh a whole lot and is not too tall either. I like to flat foot my bikes, and since I am only 5'3 most bikes are too tall for me. I usually go for the sport type bikes but felt like the Suzuki was made for me.

It is all stock right now, but was wondering if I made some changes would that make the resale price go down at all? I am not looking to sell it anytime soon but down the line would it be better to keep it stock? I see a lot of people totally changing it to a bobber or caf� and wanted to ask opinions on that. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2015, 09:30 PM.

Congrats! It looks like it's in really nice shape for its' age. The Suzukimatics are incredibly rare and whoever owned this one looks like they took care of it.

Comment

Hi Straighted4lif.

Welcome to the forum.

A beautiful bike you have. Simply gorgeous.
      It's obvious to me that someone loved that bike.

Do NOT café or bob it.

Quite apart from the fact that they are ugly as hell you will kill the resale value. IMO.
      Daniel

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ine=1539562056

1973 Honda ST90
      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
        Hi Straighted4lif.

Welcome to the forum.

A beautiful bike you have. Simply gorgeous.
        It's obvious to me that someone loved that bike.

Do NOT café or bob it.

Quite apart from the fact that they are ugly as hell you will kill the resale value. IMO.

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment on my bike. I thought leaving it stock would be best so thanks for your opinion. I plan to leave it alone, and just enjoy it. I bought it off of the original owner that bought it back it '87. It was stored indoors at all times, and has just shy of 9,000 miles on it. I am waiting to hear back from my mechanic what it needs done to it to get it in tip top shape. I will keep everyone updated on it. I am hoping that whatever it needs isn't too costly since although rare these bikes aren't worth a whole lot and I already paid what I think is a fair price for it.

What do you think these are worth in the shape mine is in? Just want a comparison for the amount I spent and what people think they are worth. I know they are worth what someone is willing to pay but just wanted to get an idea what you would pay for it?

Comment

Welcome. Definitely a well looked after cycle. Enjoy!
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

A real beauty there,Straightedg

It is all stock right now, but was wondering if I made some changes would that make the resale price go down at all? I am not looking to sell it anytime soon but down the line would it be better to keep it stock? I see a lot of people totally changing it to a bobber or caf� and wanted to ask opinions on that.
            IF you are so worried about resale? Mileage is a big factor on a bike given it's "Collectable" so don't ride it and don't change it.
            BUT since you want to ride it and make changes to suit yourself....handlebars and seats and shocks and fenders and mufflers and pipes and more can all be changed as easy swaps to make the bike feel very different- JUST don't cut anything and keep all the original parts to bolt back on. for instance, If you want a new colour, you get another tank, sidecovers, fenders or whatever off other scrap bikes and paint em. New seat? get an old seatpan and put the original away in proper storage etc etc.
            ez.

What do you think these are worth in the shape mine is in? Just want a comparison for the amount I spent and what people think they are worth.
            If I guess High, do I make you feel good? If I guess low, do I hurt your feelings? I am just going to guess anyways.
            near here, on Craigslist Vancouver I would not laugh if it first appeared at $2350.
            but just wanted to get an idea what you would pay for it?
            haha. ...but I wouldn't. I have 3 bikes and let 'way better deals flutter past me all the time. I'm guessing what some imaginary other person would pay for it.
            but local Markets are very particular and if "EVERYONE Has-To-Have-a-Harley" where you live, it may never sell in your neighbourhood at any price. You were the only existing buyer.
            So, in that situation, you must advertise a rareish bike in a w-i-d-e market. and several forums too. Even to Japan, Europe etc. for a better dollar

Comment

That's a really nice looking bike. A friend used to own one of those and I did a bit of maintenance for him occasionally. They are rock solid mechanically, but his had the typical old GS charging system problems. A replacement r/r and some wiring connection cleaning fixed that right up. Oil leaks are pretty common on an old bike, but usually not hard to eliminate. Might be oil filter cover, cam cover or drain plug or ? Enjoy getting her freshened up and happy riding. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                A real beauty there,Straightedg

If I guess High, do I make you feel good? If I guess low, do I hurt your feelings? I am just going to guess anyways.
                near here, on Craigslist Vancouver I would not laugh if it first appeared at $2350.

haha. ...but I wouldn't. I have 3 bikes and let 'way better deals flutter past me all the time. I'm guessing what some imaginary other person would pay for it.
                but local Markets are very particular and if "EVERYONE Has-To-Have-a-Harley" where you live, it may never sell in your neighbourhood at any price. You were the only existing buyer.
                So, in that situation, you must advertise a rareish bike in a w-i-d-e market. and several forums too. Even to Japan, Europe etc. for a better dollar.
                Thanks for your input and seeing as you wouldn't laugh at $2350 I feel pretty good about what I paid.

I understand that a very specific buyer would only buy this and not the masses. I just again was curious since I do not plan to sell it anytime soon but if the situation arose I wanted to see what someone else may think it was worth (more a hypothetical, than an actual buyer).
                Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Good! that's a relief! then I think you got a nice and interesting bike for your dollar! I love my 400's -perfect for country roads and town trips.If you do later get a behemoth for cross country freeways, be sure to keep this one.

Comment

Welcome.

Handlebars are a personal choice but a set of Daytona bars might give the bike a personalty you may find is much closer to what you like.

Auto trans bikes are very interesting. But then I like auto trans cars too.

good riding.

Comment

Working...
                    X