New owner from Denver, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner from Denver, CO

Hello all, my name is Dez and I finally am home from Korea and can ride my 1980 GS1000G! Great bike, I got it locally and it has the full Arthur Fulmer fairing and bags. I plan to keep it as is and only make a new windscreen to replace the super tall touring screen on there. The bike has 37k on it. All it "needs" is a reupholstered seat. Looking forward to gaining a lot of knowledge here.
    Attached Files

Welcome!!!!!

Comment

Some of the best riding ever in the foothills.

Bike looks like it will be lots of fun.

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the GSR. These are great bikes and this is the place to learn more about them. If these are properly maintained, they will run for a very long time. Enjoy the new bike. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Let's do some riding.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm jealous, I miss Colorado quite a bit! Please check the age /condition of those tires before you get going on any major road trips

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! The bike has been running great. I've done routine maintenance and precautionary stuff to be sure. I appreciate the heads up on the tire. I have since changed the front tire and will change the rear next week. I've taken the windscreen off so I can get it shortened because of my height. the turbulence gets directed directly at my helmet and it is loud. So I am going to use it just to keep the wind off my chest and to look cool . The riding weather has only permitted me some early day riding but I use the nights to my advantage.
              I am currently modding the rear lights on the bags to accept some LED running/brake lights to account for the fact that they stick out way farther than the actual tail/brake light does.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                Thanks for the warm welcome! The bike has been running great. I've done routine maintenance and precautionary stuff to be sure. I appreciate the heads up on the tire. I have since changed the front tire and will change the rear next week. I've taken the windscreen off so I can get it shortened because of my height. the turbulence gets directed directly at my helmet and it is loud. So I am going to use it just to keep the wind off my chest and to look cool . The riding weather has only permitted me some early day riding but I use the nights to my advantage.
                I am currently modding the rear lights on the bags to accept some LED running/brake lights to account for the fact that they stick out way farther than the actual tail/brake light does.
                Welcome to GSR!

If you want to keep the windshield and just look cool with it, then cutting may be OK, but if you want both full functionality and to gain a longer riding season, (as well as better weather protection,) you might consider replacing it with a taller one.

For me, it has been ideal to keep the height just under eye level. The present one is a bit lower than that and I get turbulence across the top of the helmet, but it is easy to duck under it on long rides.

Choosing a height that suits you allows you to see over it while it deflects air and rain, etc.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I decided to keep the windshield the size it is for when I do longer rides. I ended up making a small bikini type of windscreen and I just ride like that for my short commute and around town stuff. I can put the big screen back on with the small extension I made for it that works well to kick the turbulence over my head.

Comment

here is a little updated pic of the mini shield I made. It's made of polycarbonate at about an 1/8" thick. It works well but scratches easily
                    Attached Files

Comment

Incredible work horse you've got there, welcome to the site. Looks like you've got an old school set of SW strokers for rear shocks. I've never heard of your fairing brand, would love to see a side shot of the bike with the bags.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                      X