1978 suzuki gs1000c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 suzuki gs1000c

Hey guys im going to look at this bike. http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/5027489339.html

It is a 78 suzuki gs1000c and i am just wondering when i go and test ride it and look it
    Over what do i need to do to make sure it is a good running and riding bike?

List:
    Check compression
    Listen for noises
    Check tanks
    Check brake lines and all rubber lines
    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2015, 08:55 PM.

With 10,500 on the clock I would assume that this bike has been sitting a long long time. If it does fire up I would imagine that it would be making some strange noises all right. It definitely needs a once over, carbs cleaned and valve shims likely never adjusted. Brake lines are definitely overdue for replacement. May be worth taking a look in the tank with a scope or a good flashlight to see what it looks like in there. Keep in mind that there is likely a points ignition on this one as well. Low mileage though and if you don't mind a bit of work could be worth it. There must be a story behind why it has been sitting for so long. Check it out and let us know.

Comment

Ive been talking to the guy for the last week. He got it 5 years ago and he went threw and got it running and has been riding it and put about 2000 miles on it in that time

Ok so it most likely will need the valves adjusted and ill add check tank to the list

Comment

That's a pretty thrown together bike. It has a 750 tank, not sure what those pipes are but they're not the stock ones that's for sure. Those look like the crappy Emgo pods, I'd be worried the valves have been heated up too much and damaged. I wouldn't believe that is 10'000 miles in a heart beat, not with all the parts that have been replaced and the shape it's in, most likely either it has 110'000 miles or that is not the orginal gauge cluster. No headlight, no fender, everything painted black. I'm pretty sure you can find better deals out there than this. It looks like $700 bike tops. Just so you know, you'll have a VERY hard time finding an original 78' tank. Do a craigslist search within 6-8 hrs driving from you and see what's out there. Even for the older 8 valve 750's, I bet you'll find a better deal.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Basically you want to look for things that are going to be expensive or a humongous pain to replace, like the motor, or something deep inside it like the transmission. Because when you get the bike, you're going to forget everything the seller said and go through it top to bottom, pretending the whole way that it hasn't seen any maintenance whatsoever in the past 37 years. That's going to mean a full fluid swap, some new gaskets, probably new brake seals, pistons, and lines, maybe a new chain and tires, probably a new R/R and/or stator, carb rebuild, fork rebuild, etc. So if it runs without any funny noises and goes through the gears, then you're pretty much good to go.

I hope you're getting a steep discount. That price is pretty optimistic. Since it's a runner, its about a $750 bike to me and that's being a little generous. Common rule of thumb around here is you spend a minimum of about $1000 in maintenance alone the first year you own it. If you paid the seller's full price, that would put you at about a $2300 bike. There are a lot better (and newer) bikes available for that money if you keep your eyes open.

If the mileage is accurate, then the inside of that engine should be like new still. At 10k miles, it's hardly even broken in.

Things that turn me off about it are:

- rattle-can matte black spray paint job over 90% of the bike
          - pod air filters and free-flowing exhaust (PO says it has been rejetted but tuning a bike for such drastic modifications is more art than science so he likely didn't do it right)
          - missing front fender, which means front end rigidity is compromised
          - those LED headlights don't look too bad but I'd be surprised if they work worth a damn

But that's just, like, my opinion, man. If it tickles your fancy and you've got the cash, go for it.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thank you charles and he said the exhaust was the stock and he took the baffles out and lost them. The black paint doesnt bother me, and he seems to know his stuff or atleast knows more then me. He currently rides the bike and says it rides fine.

Thank yall for your imput but the point of this post was to learn what all to look at and what all other owners have run into when they were looking for there bikes.

And the bike is going to be a cafe racer project so the exhaust doesnt bother me and thats why the paint doesnt bother me
            Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

If the engine is good to go, then it's a fine base for a project. (Except for the price.)
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Ok thanks charles so theres no problem areas on these old bikes that i should look at other then the obvious stuff that wears out with age

Comment

Working...
                X