Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS450T owner from NZ

Hi guys,

Just purchased an '82 GS450T that had been imported down here a couple of years ago. Lovely bike and looking forward to riding and tinkering with it.

Interested if any other 450T owners have any sage advice? Otherwise look forward to being a part of the GS community.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the site! Be sure to look around for Bass cliffs links for info - there is a ton of info there. Including all the known issues with electrical gremlins on these older Suzukis.

Comment

Another "T" owner

Welcome fellow "T" owner. We like to showcase our model bikes and yours is quite nice!

Yep, Basscliff's link is around here somewhere. Looks like a fun bike.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Nice bike,alright!
        Tips? These bikes only Original major weakness is the Charging system so I would keep an eye on that. Buy a cheapo multimeter.

The First thing is to check the electrolyte level in the battery. If your battery dries up, you will hurt the system.
        The second thing is just to check the voltage across + and - when bike is running....anywhere convenenient under the left sidecover is good.
        The third thing to check is the dipstick oil level. Keep it on the mark with clean oil as the stator somewhat relies on the oil to cool it.

GOTO electrical section on this site and BassCliff's site here:
        http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and read up. There are manuals there too. You want the one called: "GS 400-450 '77-'87"
        If your battery fails, don't buy a new one until you are sure the charging system is ok or you'll be wasting $.
        Your previous owner may have already "refreshed" the system(yes, I see those turn signals!) but it'll pay you to know about it...especially an extra ground post where the regulator can get a good and direct taste of battery's negative ....don't rely on the frame/engine "earth" ... and of course you want clean connections throughout But it's all here somewhere

Might seem a bit of Snobbery, but I see it's missing the seat rail around the back of the seat - (so was my very-similar-looking '81 400T). I see a lot of these T's missing this rail. It's handy for lots of things, not least of which is getting the bike onto Centre stand.

Comment

Working...
        X