hello i would like to introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello i would like to introduce myself

Hello im david im a 26 yrold automotive tech from upstate new york. I aquired my fathers 1980gs850l when he passed away 3 winters ago that he draged in stock class in the early 90s and sat indoor stored till 2014. I pulled it out of the shed it was in their was holes in the exhaust , tank was rusted brakes didnt work at all and the no power at all exept to the dash. so first i tore everything apart the tank whent into a acid bath till bare metel then primed. Went though the fuse box and eltrical sytem, all continuties checked all switches and plugs tore apart cleaned and dialected greased. All without a manual. Tore the carbs apart completly rebuilt other than slides all oem other than o-rings i had a 1000 peice set. put new plugs in it and non-ethinol fuel and it fired right up after i figued out u have to prime the carbs. Then started on the brakes the lines wrere luckly not imploded and calipers and pads were good i ordered oem seals for the mater a bleed the system clean for a week . Then i rode itrode good but had to get it home to sync the carbs got them synced in then re rode rode good . Road it like that all last year. This year i replaced the brakes they were spongey. I put another regulator in it, and changed out the drag bars, and ordered new tires yesterday the old ones were new they were put on right before stored. Great bike once all the work was done. I do have one queston dose anywere on the transmissiontake gear oil and if so were is the drain so i can change it the dealership said no but why would their be a fill and cheak port.

The 850 motor has the gearbox filler just behind the starter motor cover, and has a small bolt head in the casing on the same side for the fill level.
    in this photo you can just see the filler bolt head, behind the starter.

Comment

yes i know that where do i drain the fluid at

Comment

Originally posted by davebgs850l View Post
        dose anywere on the transmissiontake gear oil and if so were is the drain so i can change it the dealership said no but why would their be a fill and cheak port.
        Not sure we are on the same page but I believe your answer is that the engine and transmission oil are one in the same. Usually a gallon covers both through the engine oil fill hole. The final drives on shaft driven MCs have separate lubrication. A shaft drive expert will be along to describe that.....
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

so iwhat is the fill plug on the transmission for i just want to get the metal shavings out and the moistior from sitting for 20 yrs out so is there any hypoid gear oil there ive torn apart and repaired honda big red engines and have a understanding of shaft drive systems or dose the spot on the transmission that says use hypoid gear oil refering to the differential
          Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Well I can't imagine that an 850GL is any good whatsoever as a drag bike, but I know it's a great rider anyway since I have one myself.

These shaft-drive bikes have a secondary drive in the engine case and a final drive at the wheel. Both take 90 weight hypoid gear oil, which is available at any auto parts store, probably even Walmart. Look for API GL-5 somewhere on the label.

Also, check out the mega-welcome in my signature below. If you do enough clicking, it will lead you to the factory service manual for your bike, which will tell you (almost!) everything you need to know about maintaining the bike including how to change the shaft drive gear oil.

Welcome!
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

There is a drain for the secondary drive. Remove the shifter lever, then the cover behind it. You will see a large round panel attached to the engine with four bolts, that is part of the bevel gear assembly that is the secondary drive. Just below that is the drain bolt for the secondary drive. Use hypoid gear oil when you refill.

If you have a factory service manual, it is on page 3-14.

If you don't have a factory service manual, go to our library and get a copy. Look at the bottom of the first section, just above the words "Service Manuals".

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok thank you thats what i was wondering not the transmission is calledthe secondary drive i dont think my dad did win i he just tryied to beat his own time i know i had to change almost everything to get to a street rider
                Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

You'll find a Suzuki micro fiche attached, the g/box on a 1981 GS850 has a separate chamber in the lower and upper cases for the gearbox. You have two numbers on the picture, 60 & 61. These are the drain plug and washer for the G/box oil.
                  to get the correct fill level you have to take off the side cover, and again on the micro fiche you will see a M6 bolt & washer no's: 62 & 63. These are the fill level bolt & washer. Filling from the top use the recommended gear oil, not engine oil for the g/box.

Comment

Working...
                  X