New guy with an old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with an old bike

Looks like you guys have a nice site here. I'm glad there's a community like this. I just picked up a 79 GS850. My father's friend was tired of seeing it sitting, so I volunteered to take it off his hands. Overall it's in decent condition. Turns over, but seems low on compression. I'm hoping it's just stuck valves from sitting. It has a large fairing on the front that I'm contemplating removing. I'm hoping to get it running and use it for my 100 mile daily commute to work.

Here's a picture of it before I cleaned her up:
    20150801_191105_HDR.jpg

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
    Looks like you guys have a nice site here. I'm glad there's a community like this. I just picked up a 79 GS850. My father's friend was tired of seeing it sitting, so I volunteered to take it off his hands. Overall it's in decent condition. Turns over, but seems low on compression. I'm hoping it's just stuck valves from sitting. It has a large fairing on the front that I'm contemplating removing. I'm hoping to get it running and use it for my 100 mile daily commute to work.

Here's a picture of it before I cleaned her up:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41285[/ATTACH]
    Welcome to the site. You've got a good bike there and if your doing 100 miles a day, I'd rethink taking off the fairing.
    You've got the good one from Fuller, not the Vetter that looks like a Cyclops to me. Where are you located? There may be a local that can help you with troubles.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

No matter what, though, jettison the throne room saddle.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        Welcome to the site. You've got a good bike there and if your doing 100 miles a day, I'd rethink taking off the fairing.
        You've got the good one from Fuller, not the Vetter that looks like a Cyclops to me. Where are you located? There may be a local that can help you with troubles.
        We'll see. I was thinking of swapping it with something smaller. It's just a little too big for my liking I think. Also wouldn't mind adding some saddle bags to it.

As for the seat, I haven't had much time on it to see how comfy it is. But I thought the wife might like it...if I can ever talk her into riding that is :-P

Comment

I just noticed - that's a hardtail, isn't it? You're going to need that cushy seat.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Where are you located? From your background foliage, Southeast?

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Welcome. Good luck with the bike.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm in central FL on the east cost. The previous owner replaced the rear shocks with bar to lower it. I'm definitely putting shocks back on it; will a set from an 83 GS850 fit it?

Comment

LOL I was going to say, first order of business: Rear suspension.
                  Welcome aboard! I didn't think 850's got the VM carbs... I thought they all uses Mikuni CV's...

Enjoy the bike! Good luck on your project!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2002 Honda Reflex 250
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                  2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                  Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                    LOL I was going to say, first order of business: Rear suspension.
                    Welcome aboard! I didn't think 850's got the VM carbs... I thought they all uses Mikuni CV's...

Enjoy the bike! Good luck on your project!
                    Any idea if a set from an 83 Will fit? And I couldn't tell you a thing about the carbs...yet :-P. It does look like the tank may have been repainted. Is it supposed to have saddle bags or a trunk?

Comment

I had the feeling you were in Fl. If you deside to toss the fairing and rear struts to the curb, PM me with a curb alert. I have an '80 850 parts bike if you need some parts.

"I didn't think 850's got the VM carbs... I thought they all uses Mikuni CV's..."

'79 was the first year for the 850. It still has the left over VM carbs and a kick starter from the 750.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                        I had the feeling you were in Fl. If you deside to toss the fairing and rear struts to the curb, PM me with a curb alert. I have an '80 850 parts bike if you need some parts.

"I didn't think 850's got the VM carbs... I thought they all uses Mikuni CV's..."

'79 was the first year for the 850. It still has the left over VM carbs and a kick starter from the 750.
                        I don't have the rear shocks. If you want the solid bars it has, I'll gladly trade for a set of shocks from your parts bike! Still unsure on the fairing. Might see if I can find something smaller. My last bike didn't have one and I did fine, but it definitely wasn't a comfort bike.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                          I don't have the rear shocks. If you want the solid bars it has, I'll gladly trade for a set of shocks from your parts bike! Still unsure on the fairing. Might see if I can find something smaller. My last bike didn't have one and I did fine, but it definitely wasn't a comfort bike.
                          Sure, send me a PM with your contact info and I'll see what I can do. I'm just north of Orlando.
                          I've been wanting to do a bobber or chopper with a springer solo seat.

Now if I just can get back a certain green 79 750L I know of....

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            Nope. '80 and later were CV carbs. '79 was VM's.

Comment

Working...
                            X