New Member in KC area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member in KC area

I have been a listed owner on here for a few years but for some reason not a member. I got the old girl in a trade for a copy of Microsoft office in the fall of 2011. It had a 1995 license plate on it. It rolled but did not run and about 1/2 of it was in boxes. At some point there had been a faring on it and the harness was cut up. It turned over but everything was dry. I started by pull it at all the way down and start over at the frame. The first year (2012) I got it back to mainly to gather and after rebuilding the carbs 2 times, then the fuel petcock. It was running, I had replaced the front tire to start with, I think it was OEM had to cut it up to get it off the rim. The tank was in primer and no head light, no mounts or anything but it ran. Side covers were also missing. turn signal gone seat was torn but it ran. E bay is a great thing! By mid summer I it passed inspection and was legal. Still in primer but it was complete and I got 3000 miles on it.

During the winter of I got the tank and side covers painted and scored a NOS center bezel that you could read. I chased oil leaks and charging problem till I found the stator pages and added a cute little BI Color LED that glows green when the charging system is working as best as it can. I also replaced all the running lights with LED's. the turn signal bulbs have to stay stock for the load to be right to flash. I also added a delay relay to the head light giving you 15 seconds to start it. only got to drive it 1500 miles that summer because of the charging problems. The more I drive it the better it runs.

the summer of 2014 I ordered a replacement seat cover, the old one was gone and I did not want to tear up the foam, yea it was ordered in march and showed up in August.

More later

Welcome to the site and I am sure you have heard this before but this thread is worthless without pictures. Also give us a little description of you model and year bike.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Welcome aboard; there have been some updates to the stator pages since you were last here. A Quick test is always a good starting place.

You are lucky you did not switch out more lights for LED's. You did not mention a R/R swap so I assume it is still SHUNT and with too many LED's you can burn your stator out even faster.

Comment

I was trying to get as much of a load off the charging system as I could! As for photos there are a lot of them just need to get the posting of them down. And yes I missed the little key thing she is a a981 GS1000GL I got it with 24000 miles on it. shes at 32000 now. I some photos on here today.

The charging system is just plane dumb. All i have down at this point is swap out the bulb in the tail light and the gauge cluster to LEDs and ad the simple tri-coloured led to use to monitor the voltage some what. And i make sure its a wet-cell battery not a glassmatt one.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Welcome. I'm in overland park and will be moving to peculiar at the end of October.

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I would highly recommend looking over all the information provided by posplayr. If you are removing electrical load from your bike, it will work against you by the design of the old charging systems. The fix is to convert to a Series R/R that actually turns on and off depending on demand and allows things like LED lights without fooling the old charging system into overcharging and damaging your charging system. Good luck with your project. Traded for MS Office, interesting, where I used to live I used to trade computer work for motorcycle repair. Now I'm doing it myself and a lot better off for it.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I'm try to find a Series R/R now to do that change it looks like the right fix finally. I have always planed on replacing of the charging system at some point the wires out of the side cover have been cooked I think that when PO tried to put the fairing on it they cooked the wiring by running it with no headlamp or gauges and gave it away for junk. I also have been looking at the big bore kits to take it to 1100CC don't know why but I am

Comment

Working...
              X