New owner of a '82 GS650L with problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of a '82 GS650L with problems

Hey guys, my name is Jake and in June of this year I picked up an '82 GS650L. It is in nice shape cosmetically and when I bought it it was running perfectly...for 34 miles. I came to a stop sign and the bike died and barely restarted. It wouldn't run unless the choke was on full and had very little power. While cleaning the carbs I found that one of my idle screws is completely seized in the carb body and can't be removed, so that's not helping matters. It's a great bike, and I'm trying not to let this dampen my opinion of the bike, but this carb situation is making things difficult. Anyway, here's a picture of the bike and I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM.

Well,

the good news is that once you have the carbs sorted out, you'll have a wonderful ride.

The bad news is you have to do something about that one carb. Either PB Blast the heck out of it, drill it, or some other finessing it out, or replace the one carb body. I hate to be the one to say it, but there are a tonne of threads on here on how to go about doing it.

The search feature does take some getting used to, but some quality time with it will reveal some useful information.

You can search a specific forum, and use the "Titles Only" feature to help narrow the results
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'd love to be able to replace a single carb body, the trouble is finding someone willing to sell just one and not the whole rack. I'm sure the classifieds could help me with that though. I do love the bike and the power was great while it was running, I just have to get it back up and running over this winter. I'd also like to do a few custom cafe style touches to it and run pod filters, so that's on the to do list as well before I bother tuning the carbs.

Comment

If you're serious about accepting advice, the absolute best advice I have seen on here was make sure you get it tuned properly with the airbox before moving into pods. It will make your garage life much easier.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeofalltrades View Post
          ... and I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me.
          My advice?

1. Updated your profile or at least tell us where you are.

2. Tell us which carb you need, they are all different.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So stay away from pods until I get it running as-is. Got it. The carb that has a seized air screw is the farthest right carb on the rack if you are sitting on the bike. It would be number 4 cylinder I assume. I'll tell you guys a little about myself,so we can get properly acquainted. I am from Ebensburg PA which is
            about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh (Steeler Country) and I work full time as an engineer, part time as a self-employed handyman and I rent out 2 duplexes in the area. This GS is my second motorcycle, my first was a heavily modified Kawasaki KLX250S dual sport, which was a blast, but wasn't much good on the street or when riding with my friends on their cruisers and sportbikes.

Comment

Working...
            X