Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New happy GS850G owner

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I haven't really had time yet to read all the interesting things here, but I will.

A little about myself : I'm 33 years old, live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but originally came from France. I've been riding for 14 years, many kinds of bike, first in Europe, then in North America.

2 years ago, i discovered myself a passion for vintage bikes, and bought a 1981 Honda CX500D, and drove it from Toronto to Vancouver. It was a beautiful ride, and I really loved this bike. Unfortunately, she met a violent end last April when a car cut 3 lanes without looking right in front of me, leaving me with a damaged wrist and a broken bike.

A few months later, my wrist mostly healed, and desperate for a bike, I decided to buy myself a 2007 BMW F650GS, which I am still riding today. It is not a bad bike, but too fancy and modern for my taste. So as the riding season ended, I started looking for good deals on older bikes. There were several models I was interested in, mostly twins, as it has always been the kind of bike I feel best.
    I didn't care much for thumpers, and the 4 cylinders I tried had always left me with a bad impression, either because they were too aggressive, or even downright unreliable and disappointing, as the two CB550s I tried were.

So, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki T500 and the like were on top of my list. I didn't want another CX500, not because I didn't like the bike, but it would just have been heartbreaking. Still, I was always open to options...
    Then on Craigslist popped that GS850G, running a bit rough, looking ok, and with a price tag nothing short of irresistible ($900). I had heard tons of good things about the GS850, the only 2 downsides I could see were the weight and the fact that it is a 4 cylinders, and the CB550s left me with a very bad opinion of vintage 4s. But the price, and the shape, and the fact that it was a 79, with the kickstart, and even the color I liked, decided me to give it a try.

So I went there to see and try the bike. She did run a bit rough, took a good 15min to get the idle right. And she sure was heavy as I had to back out of the alley before I could take her for a spin.
    2 blocks later, I was in love. Everything about this bike resonated with me. I found back everything I loved with my CX500 (the comfort, the shaft, the easy acceleration...) and much more (excellent braking, great sound, no shortage of power). It had the same comfortable low RPM torque as a twin, but as soon as you revved it up, it turned into another beast entirely. It was everything I had ever hoped from a 4 cylinders but never found. But most importantly, it had a soul, unlike my BMW. It was simply amazing.

After my little spin, I tried very hard to find a reason not to take it, but failed. The carbs most likely need a bit of help, but the engine looks good otherwise, the frame has a few rusty spots, nothing bad, the tank however doesn't show any sign of rust and the exhausts are ok. It sure will need some cleanup and a few parts to put it back to original (which is my goal), but the heart of the machine is definitely there, and kicking.

So, sure enough, I bought it, and there she is:

Isn't she a beauty (already)? <3

Now, it's time to get her back to shape, and find the parts I need to put it all back to original. What bothers me most is the rear of the bike, the previous owner cut a big piece of the mudguard, I wonder how hard it will be to get that... I will also obviously need another saddle and handlebars, as well as the chrome covers on the side. Also necessary will be a new front light, as it is damaged, and the tachometer doesn't work, so I'll have to see if it is repairable or has to be replaced. I do already have the original mirrors and turning lights. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Anyway, glad to be here, and I hope to get that beast back on the road for 2016, because every time I climb on my BMW now, it just makes me cringe, that machine has no soul...

Cadwallader.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2015, 01:47 AM.

Great bike those 850, especially cool with the kickstarter. If you do all the proper maintenance to her she'll be as dependable as your 650 or more so. By the looks of it you need a rear fender, stock airbox (throw out those crappy pods), stock turns signals and the things you've mentioned. Modern motorcycle in Van can a place for parts although pricey, but really the for the forum might be your cheapest/safest place to buy parts. There's lots of local GS guys in Vancouver and a ton of us over here in Victoria. Good luck with the repairs,everything you need to know is here on the site and welcome.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Kickstart 79 is a good one, and those carbs are preferable to the CVs in some ways - you never have to worry about diaphragms tearing, for example.
      European 850s came with bars that were very similar to those, and the higher North American bars were only really of much use if you intended to mount a screen or fairing, as the lower bars came into their own by dropping the rider's torso slightly into the wind force, helping to counteract it.
      Depending on how you value your neck over appearance - give serious consideration to ditching the 79 front calipers and fitting '80-on ones. Much improved braking, and still look quite stock. Or, have a look at the Salty Monk conversion, which still looks reasonably period but is even better in braking effect. The solid front discs can be kept if you really want, and in truth, I've found no real downside to them even in the wet - it was the crappy calipers and pads that were the biggest fault. 80-on slotted discs fit right on, though; so if you find a set, grab them.
      Last edited by Grimly; 11-01-2015, 06:08 AM.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have an airbox for an 82 850. Am not sure if it will fit or not. I think one of the chrome side covers is missing. I bought 3 boxes of parts a few years ago when putting my bike together. Maybe someone will chime in as to whether it will fit yours. I don't have a tach or light but if interested you can PM me.

Comment

The rear fender comes in two sections, I've seen a few second hand ones around on the web. The indicators you can get new off Evilbay, just watch the wiring doesn't foul the rear frame and short out. If it runs with pods, leave it. It means someone has done all the hard work of getting it tuned to run right.
          And yes, get rid of those pizza cutters, the drilled discs and S/S lines look most amounts of betterer. My GS is a 1981 model but the photo will give you an idea of what they look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
            I have an airbox for an 82 850. Am not sure if it will fit or not.
            I don't know about any difference in the inlet of the VM vs BS series carbs ('79 vs '82), but the rest of the box will fit.

It will look a bit goofy as the lines don't match, but you can look at this '81 850 (same body panels as your '79, but different carbs) and see how it looks with an '82 airbox.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My '79 with Salty Monk brake conversion among other mods....
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

great looking bikes! guys, i need some help and cant figure this forum out. i need carb help with my GS850 and cant seem to find where to begin. help me out here, please...

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Knock yourself out !
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Amen to that. Follow the carb rebuilt tutorial and get the o ring kit from cycleorings.com and have confidence your carbs will be tip top and rebuilt properly.
                    Nice introduction, it made me want to go ride my 850. (Currently in project status)
                    Get to know the Canadian guys on here.....they are some good fellas and do lots of riding and wrenching.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I haven't been answering, but a lot of things happened recently, including a crash with my BMW F650GS that left me pretty banged up, and the bike badly damaged.

Anyway, still working on that GS850, things have been going slowly, but my friends at the garage told me she needed carbs cleaned, valves changed and the rear caliper replaced, but everything else is fine. Not so bad, so I'm getting that done and I'm looking for parts as well to fix the minor stuff.
                      I put an ad in the wanted section of the forum, please take a look and contact me if you have anything like that: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...63#post2254163

Also, while I'm at it, might as well tell you what my plan is: In the spring, I intend to ship this bike to Japan, and then cross all the way to France through China, Mongolia, Russia, northern Europe... Planning on 6 to 8 months, and depending how it goes, that may just be the start of my trip.
                      So, I clearly intend to push this bike on long distances through potentially rough terrain, and I'd be happy to get any advice on what to do, what not to do, what I should be aware of, doing that on a 37 year old bike... Or simply your opinion.

There is a guy who went around the world on a GS850 (http://www.motorcyclememoir.com/motorcycle), but his was heavily modified, as he intended to do some offroading. I'd like to keep my bike as stock as possible and do not intend anything more serious than a bad gravel road, so my idea is quite different, but it still gives me a base to start from.

Merry Xmas all.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and get some decent back shocks, I have Icons on the back and they tend to stiffen up the ride and handle the bad mean old potholes a lot better. I also got the seat redone with a non slip section added onto the top, and maybe look at an oil cooler for those longer trips.

Comment

Every seal and gasket needs to be replaced for a start. You can bet your bahookey something will let go if you don't. Hell, even with a rebuild, something might, but the chances are much reduced if done properly. Use only OEM parts.
                          This is not so important for a local runabout, or even a more long-distance machine on home territory, but if you intend long trips in furrin lands, you need to stack the odds in your favour.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                          X