78 gs 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs 1000

G'day all I recently did a bike swap and now have a 78 GS1000 to play with. Bike has 43 k on the clock and is in fairly good condition. I have done a few tests etc compression Ok , shims Ok , replaced the points with a dyna. Bike came to me with pods fitted ( not jetted properly )and standard air box in a box of spare parts. I want to re-fit the standard air box but the rubber boots are a problem ( hard ) so I will see what's available or where to look on this site once I work that out ? Other bikes I have are HD42 , 76 gs750B , suzuki 1500 intruder and aprilia rsv4r. thanks bob

78 GS1000.jpg

Hey Bob , you can use a hot air gun to warm up the airbox rubbers .
    It softens them till they cool down .
    They can be a bit of a bugger to get in place and I've found this helps . Abit of lube spray doesn't hurt either .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

New carb boots are still available. Also the old ones can be renewed with a 12 hr. soak in wintergreen oil and xylene mixture.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I think my bike is a 79 from what others have said and looking at other pics even thou the name plate says 78. I want to put new boots air box to carbs. Can someone direct me in the right direction to get boots also I see a metal band on the inside of the boot is there a way of removing and do I reuse it ? thanks

air box boots- ring.jpg

Comment

I purchased new boots from Z1. They were not listed for the 79 1000 engine but they were listed for the 79 750 and 850 engines. All three were fitted with vm26 carbs which worked out great.
          Hope this helps you.

Larry
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

You don't reuse that metal band, the new ones do not have a groove for it, at least not the ones I've order from Z1. You can buy them from your favorite OEM dealer as well (for the 750/850) but I'm not sure if they come with a new metal band or not. Simple enough to get the old one out. It is split at one point, find that point and pry up one side and let it over lap and then pull it out with needle nose pliers, it will get bend but you can easily bend it back to shape in case you need them again. I believe Z1 Enterprises is still shut down so you'll have to find another supplier somewhere, not sure what you guys on the Island are using. Welcome to the nut house. Oh ya, lets see some pics of the other bikes
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Other bikes ( I can only post one pic per message why ? )
              76 GS 750B brought new
              GS 750B 1 - Copy.jpg

Comment

I just chunked an old airbox for mine last week or so, and they were on it. They look the same as yours. However, shipping to Down Under might have made it cost prohibitive.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

With the help from members thanks I'm well on the way with air box boots etc.

Comment

other bikes 2 HD 42 reclaimed from farm shed + restored

hd 42.jpg

Comment

other bikes 3 2010 aprilia rsv4r for the need for speed

aprilia rsv4r.jpg

Comment

worked out I should album pics

Comment

Beautiful bikes, Bob.
                          I love the sound of the Aprilia even with the stock exhaust. In the summer I got to follow a guy with an Akropovic, what great music.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great looking bikes, thanks for posting. You can post more than one, and directly to the thread by copying and pasting the URL address when using the "insert image" button and having your image hosted online on some sort of cloud. There are some directions on Cliffs site about it all.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

95.00 for a set of 4 ( new ).

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X