New kid on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kid on the block

Just picked up my first GS a few hours ago. She's a 1979 GS1000E with 33k on the clock. Previous owners turned her into a cafe, I'll upload some pictures once I figure out how to do it from my phone. Bike has clip-on bars, rearsets, open header, and a custom seat and tail fairing. I went and looked at it over the weekend and was told it was only running on 3 cylinders. Thanks to my stupidity and worry, I gave the kid some tips from this site to see if it fixed the problem. It did. Bargaining chip went out the window. The ride home was interesting. Found out the back part of the seat was attached with velcro after a pat on the back and a 1/4 mile jog. Found out the petcock in the ON position means OFF. And found out clip-ons, with comically large grips, on a tall 550lb classic in bumper to bumper traffic is NOT comfortable. Also found out it feels a little gutless in anything other than first gear, and it seems to have something crooked in front, as idling forward in traffic felt like it didn't want to track straight. Any ideas would be appreciated.

So far the plans are a basic tune up (previous owner had it 3 years and put 300 miles on it) and possibly swap out the front end for something inverted. The latter requires more specific research as I haven't found anything confidence inspiring yet. I greatly look forward to being a part of this community.

Welcome to the site.
    After the "tune-up"[valve adjustment and carb clean] i doubt it will feel so "gutless".
    As for not tracking in a straight line it could be a bunch of things....steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, tires?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

None of those would surprise me but I'm leaning towards the front tire. It looks fairly new, but only being ridden 300 miles over a 3 year span has me concerned with a flat spot. I'll give the bike a good look this weekend. I'll have a couple extra days of downtime due to carpal tunnel surgery, so I'm going to try to get the valve shims checked and ordered before then.

Comment

image.jpg

Obligatory picture, finally.

Comment

TJ

Go back up to the New Members, Click Here! sticky and read everything there.

It will provide you a factory service manual, a carb cleaning tutorial and much, much more
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have. Now I'm just trying to find a way to print it all without spending fortune.

Comment

Working...
            X