My 2nd Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2nd Suzuki

A few years ago I briefly owned a GS650G Katana, it was a bit rough and not what I was after at that time so I sold it after about 2 months.

On Wednesday I took possession of my 2nd Zook: a 1986 GS1100G. The PO had owned it since 1988 and bought it when it had 5000km on it. So practically the first owner!
    It now has 136000km on it. It's been very well cared for and is in immaculate condition, esp considering the age and km. I've always had 80s bikes, but of varying types, the only air cooled in line four was a CBX750, a bit different from the GS. The rest have mostly been twins and Honda V4s.

I wanted to get a big air cooled, in line four, 2V, shaft drive. This fits the bill!

I bought it with the big fairing and panniers, the PO did alot of touring. Not my style, although the panniers will easily bolt back on for trip. So this photo shows the naked look. I like it! I hope I don't need the technical section of this site much, I'm hoping for the bulletproof beast to only need regular maintenance!

Regards from New Zealand!
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard. Like others have said I really like that paint scheme, looks great. If the bike runs as good as it looks your should have years of use, especially if someone has already done a ring and seal job to the top end.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome. Great looking bike. I suspect that it must have been well cared for to look that hood with that many KMs on it.
      Another member from Aus. who has since left here had a bike with the same paint. Very classy looking.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Funny you should comment about the rings azr, because the PO pulled it down not so long ago and did the rings and a valve grind. Didn't do anything else because he said that's all it needed!

I'm not exactly sure when it was built, it was registered new in March 1987 here in NZ. But any info about this model only mentions 1982-1984 as the manufacturing years and don't depict this colour scheme. There are some 850s around with the same scheme from the same era. Perhaps they were only sold in NZ and Aus? I really like the colours anyway.

I have a bikini fairing that I may put on at a later date, although I'll have to figure out how to paint it to match the rest of the bike. That would also give me some space to mount the voltmeter and oil temp gauges. On the run home the oil temp seemed to run at about 210F, the PO said that was about normal although it was right on the redline. Does that sound ok? (of course it should have been in celsius, lol!)

Comment

Originally posted by Diggers View Post
          Funny you should comment about the rings azr, because the PO pulled it down not so long ago and did the rings and a valve grind. Didn't do anything else because he said that's all it needed!
          If the rings were needing replacement it probably done 236,000 or maybe 336,000. 136,000km they should still be very tight unless something odd happened.
          Doesn't matter really if he's been maintaining everything as he went along. I like that paint scheme too, we never got it up here.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A valve check is needed, due to the recent valve grind. Make sure the shims are not too thin

Welcome aboard
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X