New GS owner, 79 Terry Vance GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner, 79 Terry Vance GS1000

Hey all, I'm new to the GS world but not new to old bikes. I have quite a collection and am pleased to ad this 79 Terry Vance edition gs1000 to my collection. I'm looking for more information about the bike. From what I have found out so far, it was a contest giveaway bike and they only made 10 of them. I found the ad from April of 79 for the contest, and have the original documentation from the contest give away. Can anyone tell me anymore info? This bike needs quite a bit of work, but it seems like it will be a worthwhile project. I've heard good things about this group and look forward to all your help and advice!
    Attached Files

Welcome. Cant really help, but definitely an interesting bike, and great that its documented. Good luck with it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the site! That is a very cool bike. I do recall a couple of threads on this site over the years regarding the Terry Vance bikes and the contest. I seem to remember a thread about one being crashed and totaled. So, I think you may have 1 of 9.

What's the plan for the bike?

Comment

Welcome to the site.
        That one sure wasn't on CL very long.
        There have been a couple of them through the site over the years.
        One of them was BOTM http://thegsresources.com/botm.php?year=2010&month=7
        Good luck with the resto.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Does anyone know if the ten contest bikes could be identified by a VIN or was this simply a paint swap without documentation?

Comment

It was a contest prize touting Terry Vance's 1978 IDBA Pro Stock Title. Basically a bone stock GS1000N painted to resemble the Vance and Hines bike. I think they were still racing for R.C. Engineering at the time. This is the ONLY factory replica bike based on the GS1000.

Comment

What I really need is a lower engine case. The clutch came apart and blew out the case. That's why the bike got parked in 82 with only 4200 miles on it. I'm looking for 78-79 cases correct? Tanks rusty inside, haven't pulled the carbs yet, but can't imagine they look too good.

Comment

Post in the Parts Wanted Forum and also browse the Parts For Sale Forum. There's lots of stuff out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BAchvytrk View Post
                  What I really need is a lower engine case. The clutch came apart and blew out the case. That's why the bike got parked in 82 with only 4200 miles on it. I'm looking for 78-79 cases correct? Tanks rusty inside, haven't pulled the carbs yet, but can't imagine they look too good.
                  Get the top case too. They are machined as a set. Or if there is value in the engine number you may be able to get the case welded up and remachined.
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                    Get the top case too. They are machined as a set. Or if there is value in the engine number you may be able to get the case welded up and remachined.
                    I'm not sure if there's value in the engine number or not. I'm more concerned with getting her running again. Do you know what year range cases will work? 78-79 is what appears to be the only ones o can use.

Comment

78-80 are the same
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        78-80 are the same
                        What Ed said

Just be sure that, if it's an 80, it's not an 80 1000G, which has different cases

You might want to contact V&H on the serial number issue, but, since GS engine and VINs don't match, may not be an issue. The VIN should be the deciding factor
                        Last edited by Big T; 04-14-2016, 09:29 PM.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          What Ed said

Just be sure that, if it's an 80, it's not an 80 1000G, which has different cases
                          Thanks guys. I'm assuming the 80 1000g was shaft drive, correct?

Comment

I sent an email to Vance and Hines this morning, waiting on a reply.

Comment

Except I think the GL was chain that year, one year at least
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X