Hello From Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stu78 View Post
    To be honest, anything bigger than a 400 or 450 would require me to really modify the bike. I'm 5 feet 3 inches with boots on. I am quite comfortable with my 400. I am somewhat limited to the smaller engines. I'm happy now, but i'm sure i'll want something bigger in a year or two. I'm keeping this one forever though. It's alot of fun to ride.
    Leg length/Inseam becomes important when stopping at traffic lights, etc. and centre of gravity for the bike is also important, especially when stopped, but when in motion it is not really noticed.

I am a few inches taller than you and found the GS1100s, all models, were my leg limit when stopped as they are both heavy and top-heavy and when they go over more than a few degrees from vertical my leg length does not permit my feet to to move far enough away from the bike to support it without increasing strain, then, there is the point where it is no longer possible to restrain it, and it will go over.

On the occasions my feet have hit gravel or sand on pavement and the feet slip, the bike just went down. I learned to hop off while it was in that final moment and, except once, it has been embarrassing, but no other concerns.

The once I went down with it was on snow, actually when I hit a patch of very dirty snow that I did not see when turning into a gas station at night. At a higher speed it may have just gone over it, but I was just at walking speed when the front wheel slipped sideways and the bike went down so quickly I could not get away from it before it hit the ground. No damage at all, (aside from embarrassment) and I was able to get out and stand it up right away.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      Leg length/Inseam becomes important when stopping at traffic lights, etc. and centre of gravity for the bike is also important, especially when stopped, but when in motion it is not really noticed.

I am a few inches taller than you and found the GS1100s, all models, were my leg limit when stopped as they are both heavy and top-heavy and when they go over more than a few degrees from vertical my leg length does not permit my feet to to move far enough away from the bike to support it without increasing strain, then, there is the point where it is no longer possible to restrain it, and it will go over.
      It would be interesting to find other GS's and try to sit on them to see how they feel. Are these bikes naturally top heavy? My 400 is about 425lbs wet.....i'm guessing. Honestly, I don't have very much trouble controlling it at a stoplight or intersection. How much heavier are the 600's? 750's? 1000's? I have never sat on a cruiser but would that be easier, because of the lower center of gravity, to manage at a stop?

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about getting a larger displacement if you are comfy enough on yours. It will do fine on the highway.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I would definitely agree that it has limitations on the highway. The revs are a little higher than I like while doing a buck ten down the highway. I have been calculating the last three gas tanks to be about 45-50 mpg...really not bad. [Quote]

You should be turning almost 6K at 110kmph. The sweet spot for cruising on these motors is between 5 and 6k; they'll run indefinitely at that speed. The power [such as it is] kicks in between 6500 and 9500, so you're one shift away from passing or steep hills on the highway.

When you consider the short 56mm stroke, the piston is travelling at the same speed as a typical 80mm stroke at about 4000 rpm. The valves are tiny and low lift so they aren't a factor below 10k. What IS a limitation on these motors is heat; I'd say the limit is constant operation above 120 kmph in hot weather - but then there is a speed limit anyway.

The other limitation is fuel. Because of the 10:1 compression ratio you need to run 92 octane gas. Mine would always ping on mid grade and regular was hopeless. In cold weather you can get away with it at low speeds. The best option is the 94 ethanol free from Chevron or Shell. Ethanol will make the mixture leaner which makes it burn hotter; not a problem on fuel injected bikes with a compensating feedback loop, but anything air cooled with a carb really shouldn't run ethanol. Even my lawnmower agrees. Sure, it works, but it wash't designed for it.

I would strongly recommend checking the valve adjustment as soon as practical. It's easy; the forum will be there to assist, and the cost is minimal at a valve cover gasket. On these motors, the consequences of not doing it could be seriously expensive so ignoring it isn't logical.

The fuel tap should be checked for leakage - super easy - and of course the oil should have been changed recently with the right stuff. With fresh appropriate oil and the valves adjusted you can wail away with no worries.

My experience is that you should be getting about 65 -70mpg CDN - not that the Imperial gallon really exists any more. I prefer km/L instead of that silly l/100km brainfart; in which case you should be getting about 23 km/L.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

How much heavier are the 600's? 750's? 1000's?
            My 650 is top heavy compared to our 400s. Top heavy turns into an advantage ... can be really easy to U turn from a full stop. You don't have to hold it in a turn-you just drop it and run the throttle...(am I describing it right?)
            I have never sat on a cruiser but would that be easier, because of the lower center of gravity, to manage at a stop?
            On your bike, you are a large part of the "gravity".It's therefore "balance", not gravity.. I'm no gymnast and maybe too old but still, I strive to"grace" .... Watch some videos of good bike handlers and it's grace which follows from skill whichever bike they ride and however tall or short they are.

That said, if you (meaning note-to-self!) pack a load, bias it ever so slightly to your "leg down" side until you learn to remember that there IS a load up high. I hate those top-cases because I know I would fill it so I won't allow one aboard.

as to low-riders, I am surmising based on limited experience and the general assumption that bikes are made for the median population....and they are still made to suit the normal leg length (30-32"?) so riding them might involve another "get-used to it" stretch. and don't Your legs move further from "foot forward" to the ground? Certainly the posture is different. Your "leg down" may still have to get around a wider seat, which can make a bit of difference as well. Roughly, I'm really saying that bikes for shorter legs is just a matter of research. Some suit shorter people better than others whatever the style.
            Just avoiding parking on slopes won't be hard to learn. I've a friend same height as you. He was thinking shorter shocks, narrowing the seat, low bikes and while he has slightly narrowed a seat on one bike, he rides a pretty tall bikes and it's pretty much just avoid parking on slopes.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-29-2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

The other limitation is fuel. Because of the 10:1 compression ratio you need to run 92 octane gas. Mine would always ping on mid grade and regular was hopeless.
              I cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Certainly no pinging that I am aware of on two bikes. ...a slower burn is said to be good for higher mileage engines and hitest won't do any harm but when I see the price of it and that the pump does not get much used...well, I confess, I can't yet "see it".
              But I'm open to argument- not saying you're wrong. We should probably revisit the thread on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                I cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Certainly no pinging that I am aware of on two bikes. ...a slower burn is said to be good for higher mileage engines and hitest won't do any harm but when I see the price of it and that the pump does not get much used...well, I confess, I can't yet "see it".
                But I'm open to argument- not saying you're wrong. We should probably revisit the thread on it...
                The factory recommended 92 as I recall. The pinging only occurs when you get it hot going hard up a hill, which is hard to avoid up here in the Okanagan. 92 is always enough; lower grades are mostly enough. There will be minor variations depending upon engine tune and condition, as always. If you can get by with less than premium then by all means don't bother. I could, when the weather was cool, but it will hit 35 here today…..

The two valve 450 at 9:1 seems pretty tolerant and ping proof, but…. I had to use ethanol 92 a few days ago and I could feel and hear the difference when I put the 94 'real' gas in again. It's not a big difference, but the motor was more enthusiastic - almost louder. Maybe that's why the Harley guys like it.
                '82 GS450T

Comment

I don't get any pinging on the lower grades, but I noticed a big change in mpg when running the premium fuels at the PNW rally. Even the higher octane, E10 gained me about 10 mpg. Of course, that could have been the continuous riding, rather than the stop and go riding of the city accounting for that.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The factory recommended 92 as I recall.
                    I don't have an "owners manual" which is where it would easily be... but in the shop manual for gsX250 says "85-95 pump octane (R+M)/2 or 89 octane or higher rated by the Research Method" which pretty much says higher octane I suppose!
                    I guess I get away with it because I'm mostly on coastal road or benchland here on VI...unless I cross the island there's suprisingly few hills

Comment

It would be interesting to find other GS's and try to sit on them to see how they feel. Are these bikes naturally top heavy? My 400 is about 425lbs wet.....i'm guessing. Honestly, I don't have very much trouble controlling it at a stoplight or intersection. How much heavier are the 600's? 750's? 1000's? I have never sat on a cruiser but would that be easier, because of the lower center of gravity, to manage at a stop?
                      Are they naturally top-heavy? Yes.

It was one of the biggest differences I noticed between riding a Moto Guzzi and a GS, or even a Honda in-line 4.
                      I often stop momentarily on the Suzukis, with feet on pegs, but only momentarily. Not just early GS models, but also Bandits. The Guzzis I rode all had a very low centre of gravity and were MUCH easier to deal with when stopped. On my V7 I frequently did not bother to put my feet down at traffic lights or stop signs. It would just stand upright. .

That led to several embarrassing moments, as I just grew to accept that balance. They occurred when I stopped the bike in parking lots, turned off key and gas, then dismounted and walked away......usually I got about fifteen feet....before hearing the bike go over behind me I had forgotten to put down the side stand.

Weights on GS vary somewhat, as more support material is added to the bike along with the larger engine itself, when you increase engine size.

I have only been on 1100s, those being E, G, and GK models, the G and GK being shaft drives, which weigh more then the chain drives.

The G and GK check in at more than 600 pounds.....629 comes to mind for the G, and the GK has added crash bars, fairing and bags.
                      Last edited by argonsagas; 06-30-2016, 10:16 AM.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        I don't have an "owners manual" which is where it would easily be... but in the shop manual for gsX250 says "85-95 pump octane (R+M)/2 or 89 octane or higher rated by the Research Method" which pretty much says higher octane I suppose!
                        I guess I get away with it because I'm mostly on coastal road or benchland here on VI...unless I cross the island there's suprisingly few hills

My original owners manual reads that I should be putting 91 Octane in it. FWIW

Comment

The G and GK check in at more than 600 pounds.....629 comes to mind for the G, and the GK has added crash bars, fairing and bags.
                          Holy Macarel....That's heavy. I would crumble under something like that.

Comment

Are they naturally top-heavy? Yes.

It was one of the biggest differences I noticed between riding a Moto Guzzi and a GS, or even a Honda in-line 4.
                            A Guzzi, any Guzzi, is on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                              Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about getting a larger displacement if you are comfy enough on yours. It will do fine on the highway.
                              I totally agree. It has been good enough for what I do. It certainly does go well enough to keep up with traffic.

Comment

Holy Macarel....That's heavy. I would crumble under something like that.
                                You're welcome to test fit mine to see what it feels like.

My brother, who is somewhere around 5' 7" (he says) and an inseam around 29 inches found it a tad discomfitting the first time he did. He had a Honda Hawk, Honda CX650E, and more recently a NS250R, all of which he found way easier to maneuver on tip toes.
                                '83 GS650G
                                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                                X