My mid-life crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mid-life crisis

So I figured since I will be 50 this fall, I might as well at least pretend to have a mid-life crisis. Not having enough toys despite the cars, truck, RCs, cameras, skibobs, computers, and more tools than most small shops, I figured it all needed augmenting by adding a motorcycle.

I've been watching for something small and interesting for a couple of years, and finally got around to asking a friend of mine about a GS400L that he bought 20+ years ago and never did anything with. After dumping fresh fuel in it and having it fire right up, I decided to $200 price tag was probably worth it. 30,000kms, and stored for the whole time he has had it (I think closer to 25 years than 20). Front shocks were rebuilt just before he got it, and looks like the chain and gear was replaced as well.

So, plans are to do something like cafe racer / scrambler / brat. Figure I'll go through it and get it road worthy this season, and put some miles on it. Then over winter, I'll tear it down and make the changes.... Any and all suggestions or advice is welcome....
    Attached Files

Welcome to the site, Ray.
    A mid-life crisis for $200.00?
    Yeah, i would say you made out alright.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Welcome to the site, Ray.
      A mid-life crisis for $200.00?
      Yeah, i would say you made out alright.
      Well, the final bill remains to be seen... :P As of yet, the wife is all for it. We'll see if that changes once I start buying stuff for it... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Henry View Post
        Well, the final bill remains to be seen... :P As of yet, the wife is all for it. We'll see if that changes once I start buying stuff for it... :P
        Welcome to the forum.

Of course the wife is all in, the midlife crisis could be much worse.... and she knows that. Good luck on your project!
        1978 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E
        1982 GS1000SZ
        1983 GS1100ED
        1983 GS1100ESD
        1978 Honda CB750K
        1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Henry View Post
          Well, the final bill remains to be seen...
          Yup, my $500. morphed into $2000.+ Welcome to the site Ray!
          Dave, from near the land of Tyndalstone.
          1979 GS1000
          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Welcome Ray Henry!

Can't go wrong with a $200 bike that runs. Look for the required maintenance thread to keep your bike going this riding season.

I've been riding since 2011 so you could say my MLC started five years ago(lol). It's my birthday month and turning 50 as well.

Enjoy the ride!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Working...
            X