Hello from Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Sweden

I realized i havnt introduced myself and my 'new' bike yet.
    Only asking for help... shame on me

I used to be seen on the streets in Stockholm on a 1981 year model of a Kawaaaki Z500 B3, which I have renovated myself. I got an interest in rwo wheelers about 4 years ago, started of with an old 50cc dirtbike to learn operating a 2 wheel motorized vehicle, and got a 125 cc 3 years ago when I decided it was timw to get serious and get my license.

One year later, i had failed the license tests twice and god an offer i didnt want to refuse.
    To swap my 125 cc Yamaha DT LC for a Kawasaki Z 500, which worked but needed some love.

During the winter I took the bike apart and began working on the engine. Never having worked on an engine, except for my 50cc 2 stroke, it was a great leap but I was determined not having to spend a fortune having the
    mechanics do it for me.
    I succeeded! Last year I had many miles with it and was determined not to let it go for anything. I had spend too much time and money on it!

Winter came and it got to rest during the winter.
    When spring 2016 came and it was time to get back on the roads again, i I found it was horribly had to even start it without half a spraycan of ether.

After some time I found out my compression was horrible. I had to take the engine apart again. Something I was not willing to do. I wanted back on the roads, so the Z500 is for sale to anyone who would want to break the engine apart and change the piston rings (and possibly also the pistons, since they were not too beautiful but deemed to be OK when I had the engine apart last time).

Now I found my new bike. An old 1982 model GS850 G with fairings and, topbox and panniers! In perfect time for a long planned trip across the country.

The PO told me that it had one problem.
    If left parked and the headlight switch wasnt turned off, it would drain the battery completely.

I found this forum and began asking questions.
    Now I am waiting for a new stator and an SH775 r/r, thanks to the help from posplayr and a hanfull of others whos names i cant remember.

So who am I?

My name is Rickard, I am 32 and, as stated before, i live in Stockholm (Sweden).
    I am a computer technician, who, after having worked at an observatory in Germany, was apparently overqualified for any job i applied for when I got back to Sweden, found my way to social psychiatry and are now trying to help people with mental hardships either have an ordinary and meaningful day, or, when and if they want, try to find a way to deal with their issues and find ways around their hardships to be able to either continue or start an education, or find a job.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM.

Welcome Rickard, glad to have you here with us sounds like you found a great ride I enjoy my 850 very much.I am sure you will have lots of enjoyment from yours as well. Ride safe.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Rickard! You came to the right place to find a treasure trove of information in BassCliff's archive (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/) as well as many members who know all there is to know about these fine motorcycles!

In your introduction you said that: ...The PO told me that it had one problem. If left parked and the headlight switch wasnt turned off, it would drain the battery completely.

Are you turning the ignition key all the way clockwise, after pushing it down, when you park? That will switch on the parking bulb in the headlight and it will drain the battery if left in that position for long enough. If you are turning the ignition key anti-clockwise to "Off" and the headlight does not go off as well, there is a problem with the wiring.

Look at the wiring diagram in the service manual for your bike on BassCliff's site.

I hope you have many happy rides on your 850!
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Hi 2BRacing, and thank you.
        I mean counter-clockwise turn of the key to the off position.
        The headlight DOES go off (no lights on at all), yet the battery is dead 10 hours later.

Funny thing is, I recognized someone else seemed to have the same problem, reading about the "Yellow frank project".

If the stator and regulator change does not help this problem, I will during next winter try to source a new wireing harness and remove the old one, as well as taking care of the headlight bypass that I have read about in this forum.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2016, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. This place us a wealth of knowledge.
          1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X