Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought a 1981 GS450E and will learn to ride...again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a 1981 GS450E and will learn to ride...again.

Hello all,
    I picked up a, less than pristine, 1981 GS450E for a few hundred bucks in July. I know you get what you pay for and I should have just gotten something in better shape for a bucks more.
    I figured I like to tinker and take things apart and that, ultimately, I would have been less happy getting something that was in perfect shape or too perfect to want to modify.

So I had a 1991 GSXR 750 for a brief period when I was in college because I wanted to learn to ride. I had friends who raced on the local track and it was a good deal but the front tire lifted almost every time I shifted and it made me reconsider the wisdom of the whole endeavor. I sold it and went back to cars and hot rodding. I moved to Washington, DC and picked up bicycling again for my short work commute but wanted to get back into motorcycles for fun.

So I have started taking the bike apart and cleaning things as I go. Limited by the fact that I don't have a garage so everything is basically back yard mechanic level. The bike was mostly complete but missing some turn signals and the PO had slapped on pods and mini mufflers and said it runs like crap now. It had been laid down and the tank has some small dents. I'll get them fixed when it it is time for paint but I need to think about the color for a while.
    My current plan is to re-jet a pair of GS500 carbs to trade out the stock ones and put on a MAC 2-1 exhaust. Get all the brakes and electricals sorted out and then I am signing up for an the MSF class and hope to get ridding here in the fall.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2016, 11:41 AM. Reason: Add photo

Welcome to the site, Max.
    Good on ya for having the MSF course in your plans.
    Looks like you need some lower bars as well.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yes, there were some missing parts and things poorly done by PO's. I'll start a Build thread of my own poor decisions shortly and for some more feedback and suggestions as I move forward. Collective knowledge and experience is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Welcome. The 450e is a cool ride. Good luck.
        What was / is your car hot rodding preference? Im still suffering occasional car withdraw symptoms 14 years later.....
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I tried a lot of cars, small ones and big ones. I ran the gamut of eurotrash from MGB, Peugeots, Audi and Maseratis to American Mustangs, Camaros and Jeeps. There was also a Land Rover in the mix until that unfortunate engine fire issue... I brought the GS home in the back of my Honda Element. It is actually the only car that has remained stock since I got it. Not sure if that says I have grown more complacent or boring.

Comment

I love the 450e and 450s...they come up for sale rarely here, and one would be stuck with whatever shape you could find one. The good news is that they are relatively easy to work on, so I'm sure you'll have a sweet little ride in no time.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

love my 450, you will too. Don't skimp, update the charging system and wheel bearings, without question. I ride my little dude everywhere when it's not tore down.

Comment

The 450E is a cool bike. Even though the stock seat is part of the persona it is awful for 2up riding and marginal for longer solo rides.

Comment

Seat Musings

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  The 450E is a cool bike. Even though the stock seat is part of the persona it is awful for 2up riding and marginal for longer solo rides.
                  My plan was/is to keep the original seat for the near future while I worked on other things but I was also thinking I would shape and thin down the foam a little and recover the seat with some more satisfying material. I also liked the idea of keeping the locking latch but these are still early days on the project and I also contemplated one of those brat seats from China on EBay.

Comment

Nice, have fun!
                    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Working...
                    X