Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner gs1000

Hi All,
    i am a new member of this board having just bought a 79 GS1000 with less than 15k on the clock. It has been 15 yr since I owned a bike, I have owned 2 GS750s back in the day and am really looking forward to much riding enjoyment on my new toy.

I'll be looking for advice and suggestions as I make this bike my own. It runs great and the PO made several appearance mods that I hope to improve on. My first project will be the seat. As I am not very tall, I am looking for ways to cut down the front of the seat foam and recover the seat as my cover is staring to wear.

i am also thinking about changing the tail section to one from a 78 gs750. Does anyone know it it will fit?

Hi Zak, Welcome to the GSR and congratulations on the new bike. I don't have a clue about the tail piece swap, but I suspect it might work. The only suggestion I would offer, go through the bike doing all the suggested checks and pm. Especially, the valve clearances, many stories about poor starting, performance, etc. Good luck and have fun with it. Ray

Originally posted by zakdaddy99 View Post
    Hi All,
    i am a new member of this board having just bought a 79 GS1000 with less than 15k on the clock. It has been 15 yr since I owned a bike, I have owned 2 GS750s back in the day and am really looking forward to much riding enjoyment on my new toy.

I'll be looking for advice and suggestions as I make this bike my own. It runs great and the PO made several appearance mods that I hope to improve on. My first project will be the seat. As I am not very tall, I am looking for ways to cut down the front of the seat foam and recover the seat as my cover is staring to wear.

i am also thinking about changing the tail section to one from a 78 gs750. Does anyone know it it will fit?
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Welcome Zak,

You'll enjoy it here - nice group and knowledgeable.

USA MAP SMALL.jpg

Comment

If the foam is still good on the seat, I have used an electric carving knife to trim the seat. If your short legged, you could narrow it which should make it easier to touch the ground but still leave leg room while on the pegs. With a new cover, pull it tight, but keep in mind if it has seams running along edges, they may not line up.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

If the seat is in good shape leave it alone and buy some shorter shocks.
          Hopefully you have already found this page with tons of info for your GS.
          Welcome to the site.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the fam. If you're wanting to throw the 79' tailpiece from a GS750 on your bike let me know. I've got one I don't mind getting rid of

Comment

Welcome to the site. Pics of your ride are a requirement .
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Welcome to the funhouse. Good luc5h with the bike.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks guys. No riding lately since I hurt my back. As to the seat, will a seat from a 78 GS750 bolt on? I thing the 1000 seat looks a little bulky and the 750 seat is a little more attractive to the eye and maybe my backside as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X