New GS Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner

Hello from San Antonio, Texas! New to the forum but not motorcycles. I'm a frequent poster on KZ650.info. I'm am an old fogie that rode a lot when young but put aside when I got married and had kids. Fast forward to a new cable show about Cafe Racers and the fire is re-ignited! I found a basket case 79 Kawasaki KZ650 SR. Only 17k on the clock but clearly had been sitting out side for awhile. Ponied up $650 and brought it home. Took me a while to ge my feet wet again so I took my time. Pulled the plugs and looked at the piston tops. They were nice and clear. Pulled the pan and it was pristine so I knew it would run. Tore it down to the frame and built myself a very nice cafe racer!

A year and half build and approximately 3000 miles I got my riding wings back and needed more power. I reluctantly sold her and purchased a 95 Honda CB1000 (Big One). Still own that bike today and only did cosmetic changes. Great riding bike! But.....I missed my Cafe Racer! That bike drew a crowd! In the Texas Hill Country there's well, a sea of Harley's. So lucky me, I came across a 83 Suzuki GS1100ES! It's been stored in a shed for 20 years. Clock is broke and shows 2513 miles. PO said no more than 2k more. It's a little rough on the outside but original tires are holding are. Peg rubber looks good. Dent in top of tank where something dropped on it and scrape on right side of fairing and seat hump. Very solid bike and @ $300 how could I resist! I don't have a lot of knowledge about these bikes but a retired Colonel who sold me the Honda is a Suzuki guy. Told me it was the one to have! Plan is to Cafe this Rocket and have the best of both worlds! At 58 I probably should be riding a Harley but these are what I loved as a kid and young man. 1st bike was a Honda Trail 70, then CB350 Twin, and last was Z900. Never was a Cruiser guy. Although almost everyone I ride with is!new bike 1.jpg

Hi Rwinn and Welcome.
    This if you haven't yet found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Had Z650 SR myself back in the day. D3 model 1980 iirc.
    Great looking find. Hanger rash only to be expected. You are going to ditch those tyres before they ditch you ....
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

20141209_152925.jpgMy 79 Z

Comment

For sure! 1st I need to make sure it runs. Then I'll start pulling things off to get a clean slate and start the build. I'll document everything but it seems I can only 1 pic at a time?

Comment

Re Done 5.jpgMy CB1000

Comment

Tank, sidecovers, brakes and motor are the only things I recognise on there. How big is the back wheel ? Looks a bit more than 16"
            97 R1100R
            Previous

Comment

Originally posted by rwinn View Post
              For sure! 1st I need to make sure it runs. Then I'll start pulling things off to get a clean slate and start the build. I'll document everything but it seems I can only 1 pic at a time?
              You got to go through photobucket to load more. There is some info about the procedure in the link I posted earlier.
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                Hi Rwinn and Welcome.
                This if you haven't yet found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                Had Z650 SR myself back in the day. D3 model 1980 iirc.
                Great looking find. Hanger rash only to be expected. You are going to ditch those tyres before they ditch you ....
                Thanks for the Link!

Comment

Tank, sidecovers, brakes and motor are the only things I recognise on there. How big is the back wheel ? Looks a bit more than 16"
                  It has a 19" front and 17" rear

Comment

The 79 KZ looks like it could go back to stock on a few hours with the right bits. Nice looking job btw.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Howdy and welcome. Lived in S.A. most of my life, but now live in Mission. My son and brother still live there.

I had an SR 650 as well. A little too small to ride to New Braunfels every day for work, so I sold it to a guy that worked in New Braunfels.

Here's mine:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                        Howdy and welcome. Lived in S.A. most of my life, but now live in Mission. My son and brother still live there.

I had an SR 650 as well. A little too small to ride to New Braunfels every day for work, so I sold it to a guy that worked in New Braunfels.

Here's mine:

Thank you! It was solid bike!

Comment

The 79 KZ looks like it could go back to stock on a few hours with the right bits. Nice looking job btw.
                          Thank you very much! It was a labor of love and my 1st attempt. I love creating almost as much as riding!

Comment

Welcome to the site, rwinn.
                            Never seen a fairing on a Big One but i like the look of that.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Welcome to the site, rwinn.
                              Never seen a fairing on a Big One but i like the look of that.
                              Thanks Steve. Simple EBAY Venom unit. Cheap! I've since trimmed it back a bit, added mini blinkers, and cut the the rear fender back. The picture doesn't show it but there's a racing stripe down the middle of the tank and tail piece that is vinyl wrap material and looks like brush stainless or aluminum. The KZ has the same stripe but in Red.20141209_153016.jpg
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X