Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me GS1000GT

Hi all,

First post from a forum lurker, and new owner of an 80 GS1000G (album link). I'd been on the hunt for the ideal (for me) bike for quite a while now, with the goal of having a tall-guy-friendly, faired commuting/touring bike. As much as a Wee-strom probably would have been ideal, I really wanted a UJM for my own reasons (I'm a kid of the 70s). I had recently narrowed down the selection to the GS1000G, a KZ1000ST, and a DOHC CB (either 750K or 900C), decent examples of which were all locally available. What tipped the scales for me (in addition to the GS's all-around good reputation) was the amazing wealth of resources and support available for the GSes, both on this forum and on Cliff's site. Also, the overwhelmingly positive attitude I've seen here really contrasted to what I'd found on some other forums.

The bike itself appears to be in very good mechanical condition (to the best of my ability to check so far). I have no way to know if the 15K on the odo is honest, but compared to my previous bike (an 82 750E with unknown mileage, probably around 50K), she shows a lot less mechanical wear in the expected spots (pedal, shifter, etc). The PO was honest and detailed about what had been done to it in the 10 years he owned it, including the fact that he had never inspected or adjusted the valves, so a full overhaul is definitely on my winter to-do list.

The bike is basically stock, including exhaust, suspension, carb guts (I'm told), paint, and pinstripes. I intend to keep it that way, though I may upgrade the suspension, and I'm debating on keeping the paint/pinstriping, or replacing. I tend to be a purist when it comes to classic bikes, but the original paint has been touched up in spots, and there's one rust spot on the tank directly beneath a pinstripe which needs to be addressed. There are also noticeable flaws with the matching striping tape on the fairing and hard bag. I have not had luck finding the original gold pinstripe kit for the 80 (tape code 764). I'm considering doing a full repaint with the original black, and then perhaps adding the striping back on over the clearcoat if I eventually find the kit. On the other hand, I might just decide to repaint the whole thing in something non-stock... the end result will be "mine", and in any event, this is meant to be a rider, not a showpiece.

The Suzuki / Calafia fairing needs some TLC, but that's a subject for another post after I research plastic welding. Hopefully there are others on the forum with the same fairing, but I've had very little luck finding any discussions about it (here or elsewhere).

Thanks in advance for all of your future advice! (And yes, I'm working my way through the newbie info before asking too many questions ) Every time I look at my GS sitting in the garage, I'll know I have a great group to folks to fall back on for advice!

Chris
    80 GS1000GT
    Past bikes:
    82 GS750E
    92 VFR750
    85 CB650

Welcome. Nice bike. Yes, that is a Calafia fairing. Suzuki offered them as a dealer-installed option.

The trunk appears to be a Wixom. Looks a lot like the one on my wife's 850L.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice looking bike! Welcome aboard!
      Jedz Moto
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2002 Honda Reflex 250
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hi ya, Chris.
        Excellent intro!
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks guys!

Steve - the hard case is actually an Arthur Fulmer, which I assume was not a dealer option due to the pinstriping on the case being painted on (as opposed to the Suzuki pinstripe tape on the bike and fairing). Given that it's not really "correct" for the bike, I won't feel too bad if/when I eventually find a matching set of Vetter (or other) hard cases with GS mounting hardware
          80 GS1000GT
          Past bikes:
          82 GS750E
          92 VFR750
          85 CB650

Comment

Great bike you have there, the best work horse of the GS series in a many minds. Some nice sonic springs up front and new shocks in the back it's will be one plush ride. Welcome to the nut house.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Chris, welcome to GSR. Nice looking bike. Good luck and enjoy.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking 1000G! I am very partial to those.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                X