Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member returning to a GS550EN after 30 years

Hi all,

Well as the title says I've returned to a GS550EN after 35 years. Marriage and kids meant that my original one went (reluctantly) on to the market but the hankering for another never went away.

Now that the kids have grown I've taken the plunge and bought an identical one plus a GS550EX as a donor for when I start some restoration works.

Anyhow, here's the EN:

2016-09-03 12.22.54.jpg

It is pretty tidy and just needs a few jobs sorting before the MoT; fork seals, valve seals, and brake bleeding. Then it should be good to go. A decent seat, original grab rail, and chrome mudguard will follow as and when I can locate them.

The EX donor is missing tank and seat, is a bit tatty but otherwise complete. Who knows, it may even become a project in its own right...
    There are 10 types of people - those that understand binary and those that don't.

I did the same thing but it was only 20 years. I may leave a widow but no orphans.
    That hankering for a bike never went away.
    It looks like you found a very nice bike to work with. Welcome to the forum.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Hi ya, SJ.
      They are all projects not parts bikes.
      If you haven't already seen it you will be able to find how-to tutorials and manuals for your bike here.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Here's my original GS550EN from 1979, taken in '81:

2014-03-13 14.10.17.jpg

The twin Cibie's on the front were essential for the lanes I used to ride at night.
        There are 10 types of people - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. It's interesting to see the photo of your original 550.

As for your plans for the current one, you might find it hard to locate a front mudguard in good shape. I'm sure you'll recall that the chrome was poor 37 years ago, so it's a case of get lucky on E-bay, or find some NOS somewhere. Can't see how bad your seat is, but there are some good covers on the market. There's a guy down in Plymouth who has made some reproduction grab rails from stainless, and they're good. I believe I paid around £45, which was cheaper than having mine re-chromed. Let me know if you want me to search out his details.
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Yes the original chrome mudguards were pony. I remember the original starting to go after barely two years so couldn't imagine any surviving. The copies available on eBay don't look too bad but they appeared too squared in profile, the sides that bolt to the forks are far too deep, and they have to be drilled in the correct position revealing unplated steel. I have one on my donor / project EX and it is not quite good enough to go on the EN.
            The seat has a tear on the left side but that is a recovered one anyway. I have two other seats, one a brown(!) two-four seat, and the other a much thicker seat that still has the correct side strips. I think the two black seats could end up as a mix and match with the strips along the side.
            I like the idea of the stainless steel grab-rail though. Stainless polishes up almost like chrome so may invest in one if they're still available? If you can PM me his details that would be great, thanks.

Here's the worst for wear EX that could well be finding itself as a project:

gs550ex-02.jpg

I'm still wondering which way to go with it as I don't know whether it even runs...

Comment

Working...
            X