X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 GSX1100G - New owner

preview.jpg

New (to me, obviously) 1991 GSX1100G.

75,000 miles - super clean. Rides great.

First bike was a GS1100, loved it - but this thing is amazing. So much bigger.

I'd like a big windshield for it, and some highway pegs, but I think otherwise I'm going to leave it as-is.

Looking forward to getting back out there!

Congrats on the new ride. I have a '93 and love it. Very strong bike.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

What's the best site to buy spare parts for it from? Amazon actually seems to be completely devoid of any OEM listings for this model. Bikebandit was always my go-to, but if there's better/newer ones I'd love to know.

Comment

Unfortunately you are about to find that the GSX1100G was a "parts" bin project by Suzuki and a lot of parts aren't even obtainable new. That said, the motor is the GSXR engine tuned for torque instead of top end and mated to a shaft drive from the Cavalcade bikes. A lot of used parts still around. The big problem is the somewhat unique Carb system . I had a 91 and loved it but you need to know the realities of owning a 3 year run bike that ended it's run in the states about 25 years ago. They continued to sell in Europe a while longer. Ebay is your friend.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

heh, damn it.

Any good resources on common issues or things like that? The guy I bought it from gave me a MOUNTAIN of paperwork with it, and I think there's even a bootleg chiltons manual in there. But I sure miss having a specific site like I did with KZriders

And yeah, those carbs look like a nightmare. I've done some carb rebuilds before, but I hate wrenching 4bangers out of their frame... and getting them back in again. I'm hoping this one runs well, or I'll just drop it off at the suzi shop and hope they don't charge me for a "chain lube" like the last place I went with a shaftie...
          Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

This very active group is as good as it gets.
            Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Believe me, you don't want most dealerships touching that machine even if they are willing. If you can't do it yourself, seek out an old school independent shop that has a clue and better yet cares.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                Believe me, you don't want most dealerships touching that machine even if they are willing. If you can't do it yourself, seek out an old school independent shop that has a clue and better yet cares.
                I cannot imagine there being better advice available than that.

Dealerships are often called STEALerships for a very good reason.....as is implied by the negative connotation.

Many dealerships will quietly refuse bikes older than ten years and, with these ones being more than twice that, you will find that very few have staff on hand that know anything about the older bikes. They may have good staff, but they are likely to be unable to do any better than you would do yourself....but will charge MUCH more.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

An owners manual and some elbow grease is your best friend.

Good thing for you these bikes are relatively bullet proof.

I know allot of the Bandit 1200 bits can be used to limp it along.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2002 Honda Reflex 250
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                  2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                  Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X