First time bike owner of a 1985 GS 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time bike owner of a 1985 GS 700

Just bought my first bike a 1985 GS 700 for cheap only paying 300 for the bike. Well I will say it is not pretty and it is a project for me to learn on. I already have a list of what I would like to do to the bike besides paint.
    1. Clip on handle bars for a more aggressive street fighter stance.
    2. move the foot controls farther back instead of straight down.
    3. Replace the factory rear shock with a non adjustable coil shock.
    4. Shorten the sear to the passenger strap along with building a custom rear fairing. With led brake and downsized turn signals.
    5. Remove factory air box and use 4 47mm air filters.
    6. Run a 1987 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 4-2-1 header and performance muffler.
    7. Hide majority of wiring inside bike frame, tucking electronic components out of sight.
    8. Down size 8in headlight to a 4 led high output light, along with smaller streamline led turn signals.
    9. Custom fabricate side fairings to streamline sides and blend in fuel tank, seat and frame.
    10. Polish or paint the engine and transmission, to remove scratches and wear marks.
    11. Simplify the gauges to smaller company gauges.
    12. Repaint the bike to matte black and military green.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Decon View Post
    Just bought my first bike a 1985 GS 700 for cheap only paying 300 for the bike. Well I will say it is not pretty and it is a project for me to learn on. I already have a list of what I would like to do to the bike besides paint.
    1. Clip on handle bars for a more aggressive street fighter stance.
    2. move the foot controls farther back instead of straight down.
    3. Replace the factory rear shock with a non adjustable coil shock.
    4. Shorten the sear to the passenger strap along with building a custom rear fairing. With led brake and downsized turn signals.
    5. Remove factory air box and use 4 47mm air filters.
    6. Run a 1987 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 4-2-1 header and performance muffler.
    7. Hide majority of wiring inside bike frame, tucking electronic components out of sight.
    8. Down size 8in headlight to a 4 led high output light, along with smaller streamline led turn signals.
    9. Custom fabricate side fairings to streamline sides and blend in fuel tank, seat and frame.
    10. Polish or paint the engine and transmission, to remove scratches and wear marks.
    11. Simplify the gauges to smaller company gauges.
    12. Repaint the bike to matte black and military green.
    As many parts that are missing, you should get too many complaints from the purest crowd. Good luck those sound like some lofty plans. Have you done these mods before?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have performed those types of mods but on a large scale with cars and trucks, and I am really not to worried about the purest crowed since I live 100 miles from the nearest big city, Also we have a half dozen paved roads in and out of town and the rest is dirt roads so I don't have many people here to worry about.

Comment

Good luck.
        DONT trash the headlight / brackets. The train light is becoming a valuable item these days. Especially a complete unit.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Good luck.
          DONT trash the headlight / brackets. The train light is becoming a valuable item these days. Especially a complete unit.
          Good eye Glen. That's definitely not what came on it.
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Decon View Post
            I have performed those types of mods but on a large scale with cars and trucks, and I am really not to worried about the purest crowed since I live 100 miles from the nearest big city, Also we have a half dozen paved roads in and out of town and the rest is dirt roads so I don't have many people here to worry about.
            I meant the ones here.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

The only issue with the front headlight currently is the left side of the bezel is kinked out a bit. And with the parts I am removing I don't plan to chop them up so the rear fairing, factory taillights and turn signals are already off and setting inside a box and and now the front headlight and factory turn signals will be next along with the gauges and handlebarss, so that other people that are looking for parts can use them for a cheap price.

Comment

I understand people's opinions when it comes to a 32 year old motorcycle and that sometimes changing and modifying it it to suit my needs and style maybe looked down upon by others, but honestly what is the difference when people turn them into cafe racers, bobbers or ratfighters, even adding a root style supercharger. those people are modifying the bike from its original purpose. Granted the only thing that is going to get cut and truly modified is the seat. The rear fairing is going to be custom fiberglass and sheet metal mounting back to the original location. Every factory part I have and will remove from the rear tail fairing all the he way to the front nose of the bike is being carefully removed and saved so if other people want or need those parts then they will be available. I am sorry if I offended anybody. I just look at everything as an expression of personality and I looked over everything seeing where I could adjust the bike fit my style,

Comment

That one is a perfect candidate for hopefully well-done customization.
                  It is your bike, so do it your way.
                  Welcome to the site.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I wouldn't worry what others think. It's yours, make it what you want it to be.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                    X