I am back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back!

It has been years since I bought my 1980 GS1000 and became part of this forum - 6 years to be exact. I bought it as a mini project to fix and daily rider, took the carbs out and then my little boy got sick and had to deal with that, and medical bills, he is almost 6 years old now and a healthy child. A lot has happened since then, more kids and moving, so I have not touched it ever since, but kept it with me and brought it across the country from Utah to Florida. The bike has a sentimental value to me, things have changed and life has gotten pretty normal, I have decided to do a mild restoration of the bike. I will keep you all posted on everything I do. I will appreciate advice from those experienced members because this is my first time ever doing a motorcycle restoration. Thank you all for your support and help years back when I was in the forum, I am excited to be part of your group again.

Cheers,

Felix Guzman

You happen to be in the right state for Rick to help you out.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Welcome back Felix.

I'm happy for you that things have turned for the better, and that you are getting the opportunity to enjoy some of the little things in life.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

- Derrick
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Welcome back!

And here I am at nearly 3 years with not working on my bike...well, if you don't include removing the tank and carbs in April of this year.

I hope everything is going smoothly for you...if not, I won't get mad at you for taking time off! (That's a joke)

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Felix, Welcome to GSR. Good that you are getting back with the bike.

Good to hear of improvment with your son and other things.

WHen you say "restoration", are you referring to recovering from its 6 years of sitting..?
          One concern there will be the carbs and the tank relative to the old gas in them having turned into gunk.

Or are you refereing the the prior 30 years.....?

DO tell us more of your adventures with the bike. And maybe post one or a few pictures along the way.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Welcome back. Life can have a tendency to put our 2 wheeled passion on hold at times. Always good to hear of someone getting to the good side of medical issues though.
            Good luck and enjoy.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just started with the tank last night. It was a little rusty on the inside, so used metal rescue to clean it out is going to soak until tonight, then to painting the tank. Does any one have any idea on how to take the Suzuki decals of the side of the tank? I tried prying them out but one of them started to crack. Pictures later

Comment

I want to restore it from sitting all these years, however when I bought the bike it was running but needed some work, so I am planning to get that fixed. I am also planning on the restoring the cosmetics, paint, polish, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fefrank View Post
                  Just started with the tank last night. It was a little rusty on the inside, so used metal rescue to clean it out is going to soak until tonight, then to painting the tank. Does any one have any idea on how to take the Suzuki decals of the side of the tank? I tried prying them out but one of them started to crack. Pictures later
                  There are two little bitty screws that hold them in place
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                  X