Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential GS850

Hello everyone.
    I might be getting an 83 GS850 next Tuesday. This will be my first bike. I've wanted one all my life, just never been in a position to get one. I figured I might as well start doing some research on it, and everything keeps bringing me back here, so I figured I might as well join.
    I've been lurking for a couple days, and already planning on checking the valve timing, doing a full strip and dip carb cleaning w/ o-rings, and checking/replacing ALL the rubber. She runs (started rough) but she wreaks of varnish, and has a slow fuel leak.
    Not much else I can tell you about it right now. The guy wants $500 for her. My question is this. Is she worth it? I'm not planning on trying to make money off of her. Just want one to teach me the ins and outs, and what to do to make her a reliable ride.

Hey Trilug.

The 850 is a great bike. It was my 2nd (after a Honda Rebel 250) many years ago and consequently my 6th and 7th as well. It's a heavy bike but handles well, is tough enough to take a few spills, and reliable enough with proper maintenance to tour on. With the info on this forum, a shop manual, and some determination on your part you'll have it running right. The cost doesn't sound bad especially if it runs. You can plan on dropping twice that in parts if you do the labor. One of the GS downfalls is the charging system. Pay close attention in the electrical forum and look for GS charging system health. There's plenty of guides and tutorials to help you along.

Here's a great place to start.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

500 for a running bike, could be a good deal.
      But do plan on probably needing to spend more. Say, tires or brakes or clutch.

Do find out more about "slow gas leak". If that is a pin hole leak in the tank... there probably are many more close to leaking in an area about to break thru. If is the carbs overfilling, maybe its just the petcock left in the PRIme position.

Next time you look at it, take a voltmeter. CHeck battery voltage before start it, and then start it and rev to about 4k, check voltage again, should be higher, well into the 13s or low 14s.

You have pictures? ... a link to an add?

Last edited by Redman; 07-24-2017, 07:24 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

you say you want a bike to learn things on.

THe 850 I had taught me a lot.
        First I learnt not to take it to a dealer.
        And I learnt about the charging system.
        I learnt about adjusting valves.
        I learnt about the hub/spline in rear wheel.
        Last edited by Redman; 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Cosmetic stuff is high. The carb boots to the head are high. Most everything else is pretty reasonable. When you get to the brake calipers, you probably only need the O ring and the o ring between the two halves (in back) and maybe the pistons. I don't worry overly about a little pitting on the pistons, they don't seal, they just slide. The aftermarket kits are not a good deal. Stay away from carb rebuild kits. just buy the o ring kit from Robert Barr. I think he has the carb boot O Rings too.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Learning quickly that cosmetics are insane. Was looking for a sissy bar to strap my pack (camping and fishing gear, along with tools) to. Almost as much for the sissy as I'm paying for the bike.
            Cosmetics are not as rough as my 1960 F-100, but she's not going to win any beauty contests. The tires are a definite replacement item. I wouldn't trust these to make a 1 mile test tide.

Burque73, sounds like it would be a good one for me all the way around.

Unfortunately I didn't get pics, and it isn't posted online. I'm fairly sure the fuel leak is in the carb. Once I get it, I'm going to wrap newspaper around various parts to try to locate the leak, and to make sure I know where all the leaks are.

I have not bought anything for it yet because I really don't want to buy stuff, than have someone else get it before me. If I do get it, I will post pics and updates.

Comment

I bought a set of Vetter hard side bags off of a 79 GS 750 from a member here for $50 and with a little modification made them fit my 83. Then fabricated some brackets for a luggage rack to attach to the Vetter stuff. If you get creative you'll save a bunch of money and have fun at the same time.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

I'm going to have to do some fabricating on other stuff anyway, I think I'm going to take some measurements and fab a rack specific to my needs. Time will tell what route I take.

Comment

Rejuvenating these old UJMs (universal Japanese Motorcycle) is a process.
                  Remember you are buying something that is likely 30+ years old; with dubious maintenance history, and a diminishing supply of parts -
                  I have had the pleasure of doing several bikes over these past 5-6 years and the 850 is the only one I am keeping !
                  The reason for that is it is a TANK once you get it going correctly - reliable as a hammer - quick enough to get you into trouble in a hurry and easy to work on (and learn on) - The 850 will deliver 40+/- MPG all day long at nearly any speed. Once you have it right you will love it.

My process is as follows:
                  1) Get it running well
                  2) get it stopping well
                  3) Make it pretty and comfortable

Reasoning ?
                  If it don't run - why spend money on pretty ?
                  Spend your energy on doing the engine things first - that being said the tires and brakes fall into this and category #2 -
                  Don't test ride it on bad tires or slack brakes - you may injure yourself. - Count on buying stuff that will make it better -
                  Carb o-rings - air hoses for the air box and into the engine - a good air filter - maybe coils - spark plugs, wires etc.
                  Sounds like maybe a new petcock ? Certainly new rubber bits (vacuum hoses, fuel lines, etc.)

Get it stopping !
                  This should go without saying --
                  Tires and brakes can save your skin - make sure they are new and working right !
                  Brake caliper rebuilds are reasonably easy to do - and cheap enough to do - just because you KNOW they are done
                  Brake lights - headlights- turn signals all have to work and start to lead you to --

Make it pretty -
                  Comfortable is the goal here -
                  Can you ride it 50 miles with no discomfort ?
                  Windscreens ,seat upgrades, pegs, handlebars all will need to be addressed
                  But not until it is worth doing...

You will be amazed at how quickly you become a good wrench (better than you are right now) -
                  And this forum has ALL the support and information you need.

Good Luck

Comment

Wingsconsin, I have apparently been doing my homework correctly, as most of my plans fall in line with what you just said.

I have seen her running, as the guy that is selling it hopped on and ran it down his drive. She scoots along nicely with a quick acceleration and stop. I just don't trust how long things will hold out.

Plans are as follows, in order...
                    1. Valves, and carb strip and dip, w/ new o-rings and boots.
                    2. Find and fix fuel leak. New hoses and or petcock
                    3. New tires, and completely going through the break system, with new rubber.
                    4. Test ride to see what else needs addressing.

Currently doing as much research as I can to avoid as many costly noob mistakes as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Trilug View Post
                      Consider braided stainless steel brake lines instead of rubber. You can make your own by purchasing the line banjo bolts etc. and crimping them together or have a set made for around $100. Of course with your reading through the forum you may already know about that.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      1982 GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Trilug View Post
                        Plans are as follows, in order...
                        1. Valves, and carb strip and dip, w/ new o-rings and boots.
                        2. Find and fix fuel leak. New hoses and or petcock
                        4. Test ride to see what else needs addressing.
                        I would seriously reconsider #3.

If you have a break system installed, REMOVE IT. Maybe install a BRAKE system, instead.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Roger, I hadn't thought about that, but riding in deer country, anything that improves brake response time would be a welcome addition.

Steve, Nice catch. The bike as a whole would be a break system. Part of why I want one is to get away from everything.

Comment

Keep your eye on the classifieds here. Often someone buys something with a rack or bags, and doesn't want them. I put a sissy bar and rack from a 1980 850G out by the street for someone to take, because I wanted Samsonite on it instead. Find a rack inexpensively here.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                            X