Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Sydney Australia

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm Grant from Sydney and somehow at 44 years of age i have the GS bug?? I've been lurking around here since may 2017 with the odd post. Joined up to the site when my girl friends 16.5 year old son Daniel bought his first bike; a 1980 GSX 240ET, (not running for reasons unknown, and we are both new to bikes). So when looking around the net for info and help i found this place and it has been a savior, it truly has - so first up thanks to those that answered my posts and thanks to those who have shared their knowledge on the forums for all to see and use...and a big thanks to "Bass Cliff" for filing all the info on that great webpage of his!.... and thanks to the "advanced search" feature so i didn't have to clog the forums with newbie questions

With help from site members and reading the vast amounts of info here we had the bike running in two weeks. We have been working through the known issues list and the 15 tips for GS happiness whilst avoiding the top newbie mistakes (well, some of them anyway ). With the bike now running and stopping well it is almost ready for registration. So far we have reconditioned the starter, installed a new starter relay, performed the stator/charging check and sorted out some wiring, serviced the petcock, completed an oil and filter change, reset the cam chain tensioner, serviced the front shock, new oil and seals, installed new rear shocks, reconditioned the front brake master and caliper, we are just about to sort out a "blinker stays on when the brake is applied wiring bug" and do the valve clearances (yep i now know we should have done this first), then it's off to the mechanic to get the Blue slip/road worthy certificate required for registration . I'm really amazed, all these jobs done and pretty much without incident or drama, all from info gained from this website, we must have saved a bucked of cash in labour - my only prior mechanical experience was about 25 years ago trying to keen a Mazda rotary on the road for a couple of years.

Anyway so with the 250 near done i thought i should get myself a couple of bikes, a big one for later that i can restore and smaller one that i can (restore quickly) and legally ride on my learners licence .

some pics below -

OK that's about it -- i'm sorry this post has ended up a rather long winded, so thank you for your indulgence

Grant

PS I'm open to all and any advice you guys have on all things bikes

Daniel's 1980 GSX250ET as it was when purchased (or a photo of an identicle one ??) , who would have known so many hours of fun/work were hiding there . He wants to cafe racer mod it over the next year or so.

this is my GS400C (1978 i think; judging by the spokes and single front disc?? -- any thoughts?
    it is an ex Australian military police bike, has only only 14000km on it and never registered according to the Govt records, interestingly its' Australian compliance plate is Sept 1980 - it recently came out of barn in the outback of South Australia, you can see the red dust all over it in the photo before it got hosed down. i have just started to work on it, I'm told it went in the barn running perfectly albeit a long time ago, so i'll follow the procedures outlined here and hopefully be on the road by Christmas. This is of course staying original, well as original as it was when delivered to the Army. Q: Do i keep the exiting points or go electronic ignition??

a period photo from the seller it was his late fathers bike ( my guess is early '80s judging by the cars in the background)- here it has lights, and a siren or mega phone at the front right? the wires are still there but no hardware :-( still has what i think is a siren at the RHS rear will find out when my new battery arrives this week

after a wash, seat is near perfect and the saddlebags are just a little dry, i have a farrier mate who is getting me some saddle conditioner / saddle soap or something he says will bring the leather back to like new

on the way home is my 1978 GS1000EC 56000km ( has a sticker on the bars calling it the "Eliminator" !?!). It starts, but runs a little rough with 4 year old petrol, it needs the front fork seals done and the front brakes rebuilt ASAP ... and the seat frame has rusted at the front, but it will get the full treatment over the next year or so and hopefully end up a clean 'close to stock' bike when I'm done (it already has Dyna elec ignition and a 4-1 pipe which i think i will leave as is).

home (home is the garage at my girlfriends place ... my boat had to go out on the street to accommodate it though)
    Last edited by angrypants; 10-22-2017, 11:58 PM.
    Sydney Australia
    1978 GS400 military police bike...on the road
    1978 GS1000...restoration underway

Welcome to the forum Grant. You've found the right place.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Nice collection.

By the way - Eliminator is a brand of handlebar.

Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks guys ... brand of bars lol oh ok red faced ..might just name the bike the eliminator just to celebrate my naivety!
        Sydney Australia

Comment

Hey Grant, welcome! While we're the same age I've had the GS(X) bug for a bit longer... got my 450 back in '98 then had it off the road for nearly 10 years before getting it done back at the end of 2011. Onto my Kat now which won't take as long but is still slow going.

Good luck with your GS'!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

thanks pete
            Sydney Australia

Comment

Welcome Grant. Cool story on the MP bike. I was checking out the ‘thou in the albums section. Looks good.
              Good luck with the bikes.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks glen
                Sydney Australia

Comment

Hi Grant
                  welcome to the forum, it is full of good advice and a very dedicated bunch who run it.

See you on the putty one day
                  steve
                  79 GS 750 E

Comment

Originally posted by gssteve View Post
                    Hi Grant
                    See you on the putty one day
                    steve
                    thanks steve, yeah i'll be the slow guy on the putty (at least in the near future)
                    i like to fly fish as well so i think i can get a travel rod and my waders strapped on and go out west via the bells line ;-)
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                    X