Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How ugly was your bike when you got it vs. now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How ugly was your bike when you got it vs. now?

I grew up riding dirt bikes and 3 wheelers. My first street bike was one given to me by my Brother In Law, a Honda 125, if memory serves. A good little machine but I wanted something bigger (coudn't really get any smaller). A friend at work who's landlord was charging him extra, month after month, to keep this non-running '82 GS750T under his porch roof had been begging me to buy his bike. After promising me that it only needed a battery (new battery didn't get it running), then telling me it only needed a new starter (starter tested as good didn't get it running). All the while paying to keep this bike on his landlord's property, friend finally had enough and told me if I want it come and take the d@#$ thing. As my signature states, I did get my GS for free. Well, OK, There was the matter of $1 on tranfer form at the tag place. Close enough.

Last night I found, apparently, the only picture I took of the bike the shape in which I received it in 2004, along with a detail of a living case of tetanus pretending to be a motorcycle seat.
    The bike really only needed a new starter solonoid to get it running. I put on new tires, a new chain, front brake pads, rear shoes (stupid drum brake). After a year or so, I did some body work on the tank and side panels and had them painted. Had a local guy make me a new seat cover on a good pan I found on ebay. Other ebay bits and pieces in better shape than what I had have been swapped out since then. Carbs were rebuilt by a trusted professional 2 years ago. Recently I got the charging system sorted out thanks to all the help here. I have winter projects lined up (fork seals, broken or stripped exhaust bolts, overhaul front master cylinder and calipers/pads). I now know I can accomplish all of these things and whatever else I come across to keep my bike running like it should, with the help of the fine folks here on the forum. I'm so glad I came here!

Before:

After:
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

You dont even want to know brother!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When I got the Ratzuki it was ugly. How ugly you ask? When I rode by children screamed, strong men covered their eyes and women just went inside where they didn't have to see it. It's still ugly but now it runs, so who cares.
      Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
      1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
      1981 GS1100E

Comment

It sat for ten years before I got it....

After

No signature

Comment

Trevor, your bike was never ugly. It just needed someone to love it. You definitely have given it a great second life.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

mine was new and spotless and beautiful. Its a high maintenance hag now. Drinks and chain smokes.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              mine was new and spotless and beautiful. Its a high maintenance hag now. Drinks and chain smokes.
              Priceless.
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11
              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Heres one that literally had everything rusted, corroded, or sun burnt to death. Note thee are 2 threads..one from the onset and one from when I got around to finishing her.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, that Kawasaki I see beautiful. Nice work!
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this is how I bought mine last September, so almost a year:

And this is how it looked on Saturday at a local 'street' bike show

Comment

Nice work eddy. That's a beauty!
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Nice work eddy. That's a beauty!
                        Thanks, been documenting my progress here https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...Spec-UK-import

Comment

Rich, thats a nice turnaround.
                          Mine is slowly going the wrong way, although there have been occasional small improvents.
                          The number one goal with mine is keep it mechanically functional first, cosmetics second. I hope to give it its proper due..... someday...
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 10-07-2018, 12:16 PM.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Mine was new when I bought it,I was 32 then and it’s been a lifelong commitment to keep it from looking ugly. Not as fresh as the day I rode it home but still damn nice.9124B0C5-8AEA-4481-8C1D-7AC7C19B4F34.jpg

Comment

Nice bike red. Looks like you've taken real good care of it. My next paint job just might be that red.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X