Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new member from Manitoba

Hey all;

Just picked up this girl a couple days ago and put on a couple hundred kms to get acquainted. 1980 gs1000 g.

She's got lots of extra stuff with the vetter and such and I'm think I'm gonna start removing some of that bulk. Looks like I'll need to get my hands on a headlamp and front signals.... Hoping that getting the vetter off isn't too much of a hassle. ... Any tips??
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Dharma-man View Post
    Hey all;

Just picked up this girl a couple days ago and put on a couple hundred kms to get acquainted. 1980 gs1000 g.

She's got lots of extra stuff with the vetter and such and I'm think I'm gonna start removing some of that bulk. Looks like I'll need to get my hands on a headlamp and front signals.... Hoping that getting the vetter off isn't too much of a hassle. ... Any tips??
    Welcome to the site.

I used to have a Vetter, backrest, luggage rack, etc., but now I feel less is more. So while I can't offer specific tips (though I do remember the Vetter came on and off in minutes), I agree: remove the bulk, increase the fun.

Welcome.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome Dharma! A 1000g is the absolute most comfortable Suzuki made. My 1100g is second best with a bit more grunt. Try to find the proper bucket and trim for that bike and consider a brichter replacement bulb. I went with an ADVmonster 35w LED bulb but there a few to choose from, from other sources. Loosing the Vetter is a good thing.
      Last edited by Charlie G; 06-08-2019, 04:33 PM.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Welcome Dharma! A 1000g is the absolute most comphortable Suzuki made. My 1100g is second best with a bith more grunt. Try to find the proper bucket and trim for that bike and consider a brichter replacement bulb. I went with an ADVmonster 35w LED bulb but there a few to choose from, from other sources. Loosing the Vetter is a good thing.
        Cool... I'll look into that. And yep she's quite a bit more comfortable than she looks really. !

Comment

"Losing the Vetter" is a matter of taste.

If you never encounter bugs, sand, gravel, rain or cold weather, yeah, go ahead and lose the bulk.

However, if you encounter any of those items with any regularity, having a large deflector in front of you really helps.

It also depends a lot on your riding style. Even though your bike is a shafty, it's still sporty enough to hang in there with most of the other bikes. It's the rider that is usually the limiting factor, not the bike. If "sporty" riding is what you are after, ditching that 30+ pounds of weight over the front wheel might be the best thing that ever happened.

If you happen to like to ride around, see the sights, maybe visit the next Province over, you will appreciate that 30+ pounds of bulk in front of you.

Your bike, your choice.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If you never encounter bugs, sand, gravel, rain or cold weather, yeah, go ahead and lose the bulk.

However, if you encounter any of those items with any regularity, having a large deflector in front of you really helps.

It also depends a lot on your riding style. Even though your bike is a shafty, it's still sporty enough to hang in there with most of the other bikes. It's the rider that is usually the limiting factor, not the bike. If "sporty" riding is what you are after, ditching that 30+ pounds of weight over the front wheel might be the best thing that ever happened.

If you happen to like to ride around, see the sights, maybe visit the next Province over, you will appreciate that 30+ pounds of bulk in front of you.

Your bike, your choice.

You make some great points.... But I think she still has too much junk in her trunk... 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Your bike, your choice.
              I remember visiting cousins in rural south Jersey and seeing the amount of crap that accumulated on their Vetter windshields, and thinking, "Yeah, I get it."

I was there to buy their best friend's Z1, with Vetter, from the young widow. Yeah, an authentic 'widow-maker'!

With NY City rush hour lane splitting I found I was using it less and less, until I eventually removed the mounting bracket.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                I remember visiting cousins in rural south Jersey and seeing the amount of crap that accumulated on their Vetter windshields, and thinking, "Yeah, I get it."

I was there to buy their best friend's Z1, with Vetter, from the young widow. Yeah, an authentic 'widow-maker'!

With NY City rush hour lane splitting I found I was using it less and less, until I eventually removed the mounting bracket.
                Absolutely, that's kinda where I'm at as well.. This bike is a senior citizen and it's purpose now is for low speed, short distance rides with the kids or wife on board to go enjoy the breeze and get ice cream.

Planning to get some full face helmets to defeat errant bugs and such... I'll soon begin the process of stripping off the extra bulk and giving her a good amount of tlc.

Comment

Fun fact... You can just barely fit a forty pounder in each of the Vetters storage pockets... 😁👍🏻

Comment

Fun fact... You can just barely fit a forty pounder in each of the Vetters storage pockets... 
                    40 lbs of what? Babies?!?

Comment

40 lbs of what? Babies?!?
                      Ummm. ? Like really?
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

So what's a forty pounder? Bowling ball?

Armstrong RBL canon from 1860?
                        Last edited by Rob S.; 06-14-2019, 02:44 AM.

Comment

So what's a forty pounder? Bowling ball?
                          Around here is a 40oz bottle of liquor! 😁👍🏻

Comment

Around here is a 40oz bottle of liquor! 
                            Ohhhh...around here they're just called "40's".

I suppose you could mix and match. Just be careful. In New York it's illegal to carry a baby at the same time as an open bottle.

Comment

Ohhhh...around here they're just called "40's".

I suppose you could mix and match. Just be careful. In New York it's illegal to carry a baby at the same time as an open bottle.
                              🤣😁👍🏻 Great tip! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X