Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member starting a 1980 GS1000 G Project - What to look for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member starting a 1980 GS1000 G Project - What to look for.

Hello everyone. Please forgive what is probably a much-repeated question for the forum. I found great support in the KZ forum when I rebuilt my 1980 KZ750 and from what I see, this group is just as helpful. Looking forward to getting into another bike project.

Found a 1980 GS1000 G. Was well maintained back in the day as I understand it. The PO covered a lot of miles, Niagara Falls, Arizona, etc. All stock except an oil cooler was added. He owned several bikes so I suspect it was well cared for.

Problems: (1) high mileage, 87k. (2) It's been parked (literally, in a barn) for 10+ years. (PO passed away.) It's not running but it was when it was parked. My KZ was in a similar state so I'm expecting to replace all the rubber, brake lines, boots, etc. Carbs have been cleaned (not sure how well). Tank will need work. Not sure what else. Cosmetically the bike looks ok, not great, but ok. I can deal with the cosmetics. Not making a show-bike would like to bring it back to retro-coolness.

I've read Ed's post about newbie mistakes. Since this isn't my first rodeo I think I understand mostly what I'm getting into, and I know my limits. But it is my first Suzuki.

I'm getting the bike for $600 so I'm willing to invest a bit more, just trying to prioritize.

Any thoughts on where to start and what to look for would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, since it's not your first rebuild, you should well equipped. As listed in Ed's post, basically the same applies to the GS'es as with any other vintage bikes: Valve Adjustment, Brakes, Carbs, Air Leaks.

Order is up to you, but employ common sense; no point in fiddling with the carbs if you don't have the valves checked/adjusted.

Somewhat specific to the GS'es, you gotta have a close look at the charging system (Item 7 in the newbie mistakes).

Costs should be the usual as with any rebuild; replacing consumables and perishables (O-rings, lines...). Unless you run into surprises.

There were some shafties that had a weak rear spline, but I don't think your model is one of them. Somebody will be along shortly to confirm.

Edit: Oh, and welcome, do keep us posted about your progress. We also like pictures! (as with any forum... )
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I like this guy already. Shows a location. Has a signature. Has some experience. Bought a shafty.

This is also very refreshing to see:
      Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I'm getting the bike for $600 so I'm willing to invest a bit more, just trying to prioritize.
      Too many times, we see someone balk at getting a tool or a part because "that's more than I paid for the bike". The way I look at it, if you paid very little for the bike, that just means you can better afford to fix it properly.

Where to start?
      - Valve adjustment. Clearance is MUCH smaller than you are used to in the KZ bikes. Because it is so small, it is CRITICAL.
      - Carb rebuild. You did say they had been "cleaned" and you didn't know how well. A proper rebuild will make things a whole lot easier. If you are comfortable doing them yourself, there is a tutorial available on how to do it properly. If you don't wnat to do them yourself, there are a few of us that will be happy to do them for you (for a modest fee, of course).
      - Charging system check. A stock system can last quite a while, but there are upgrades that you can do that will enhance its operation.
      - All the usual stuff, like tires, brakes, etc.

Even though this is not your first rodeo, there are some quirks in the GS, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
      Along with all of the other tutorials that are available, feel free to take advantage of the offer in my signature.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks to you both for the insights guys. Very much appreciated. I should have the bike this week. I’ll post some pix. I’m likely to send the carbs to one of you. I know better. And I’ll start with your suggestions. Sounds like valves and electrical. Dan

Comment

If you can remove and re-install the carbs correctly then I would suggest cleaning the carbs and replacing the orings yourself. I recently finished up a cleanup of my 1100l and was an absolute novice at everything when I started. I took the carbs off and stared at them for months trying to decide on whether to send them off or a DIY job. One day I just started dismantling and was really surprised at how simple it was as long as I followed the great instructions available on this forum.
          1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
          16 Valve DOHC
          Original Owner

Comment

Thanks - I'll definitely read the instrux. Appreciate the heads up.

Comment

Thanks for introduction, and welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, do post pic when you get the bike.

Is at least one other GSR member in Knoxville TN.

AS far as the carbs, if you are going to clean them yourself: Do find Cycle O-Ring web site (another fine GSR member doing us all a fine service).
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thanks for the tip, will do! Dan

Comment

Steve, Thanks for the carb rebuild tutorial link. What a great post. http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

Dan

Comment

Finally getting some time to post shots. I've since removed all the big footrests, the crash bars, the crazy horns, the tank is at the radiator shop, the carbs are going to Steve, and the pipes are off. Everything was great until the pipes. The good news is, of the 8 bolts holding them on, 2 of them didn't break. I'll post my questions about that and some shots of the build on the appropriate forum.

IMG_5990x.jpg

Comment

Left side shot.....
                      Attached Files

Comment

IMG_5995x.jpg

That footgear was ridiculously heavy.

Comment

Too late now but if you use a small 1/4" drive handle ratchet wrench and work carefully, with a propane torch and PB Blaster, it's possible to avoid breaking off all those exhaust bolts. Main thing is to NEVER use brute force or they will snap. You need to turn carefully, both ways, in and out, with lots of heat, and eventually they will crack loose. Once you get them to move they should come out the rest of the way, again using heat and pent spray. Work both ways and slowly you can work them out. Grab a wrench and try to take them straight out and they will bust off more times than not.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed, I'd read the forum beforehand and tried, I thought, to avoid it. It just feels like these things had become one with the head. I'm sure you guys see it all the time based on what I read. I sprayed and heated and prayed over 2 days, took my time, but still ended up here. Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X