Greetings from beautiful BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from beautiful BC

Hello, fellow GS owners. Nick here from Coldstream, BC.

I have a 1977 GS750 that I bought new in July 1977 in Fort McMurray, Alberta. It was my first 'big' motorcycle, having only had bikes up to 250cc before. I sold it in 1980 when the second kid was coming along, but got it back in 2013. Longish story. Anyhoo I am now 'retired' from work and finally have time to get it back on the road. It will be my grandson's inheritance ;-)

The pic shows the bike on its first long ride over the Rockies in September 1977.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2019, 12:25 AM.

Hey Nick, welcome to the forum...great bike! We ride in your area a lot...as a matter of fact I'm planning a group ride to Toad Rock next summer...I'm going to move my annual Gold River Island ride over there...I have a buddy in Revelstoke that has some old Suzukis too.
    Shoot me a pm if you are interested in being added to the list.

Cheers
    No signature :(

Comment

Welcome Nick,

I am a new member too from Lavington. I am quite far from retirement unfortunately still at 44 but picked up a gs1100ez this fall to bring back to some semblance of its former glory. Hoping to have it road ready for the spring. But lots of work to be done.

Cool that you got your old machine back. What sort of condition is it in now?

Justin
      82 GS1100E
      01 cbr f4i
      13 ninja 300

Comment

Two new guys from Coldstream in one week?
        What are the odds?
        Welcome to the site, Nic.
        Cool that you got your old bike back. Is it still in close to stock shape?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yes, wonderful to get it back! a nice one too!

Comment

Welcome to the Gsr.

good story. No need to apologize for telling that. Could have been longer with more detail and would have still liked it. (Like, how did you find it after all those years)

i see some othe bc members have already found you. Good.

do introduce your self more, include some current pics.
            Last edited by Redman; 09-23-2019, 04:22 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Welcome Nick, I live in BC as well.

I remember that model well as a friend of mine road raced his in the production classes and was able to beat the Kawasaki Z900's and Z1000's of the day.

Good luck on the restoration, plenty of good help here if needed.

David.
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

The Readers Digest story of the bike is that I sold it to a fellow in Vernon, who subsequently defaulted on his financing so the financial institution took it back. I had rattle can painted it brown (what was I thinking!!!) and he had it painted professionally in black. Fast forward to 2010 and I returned to work in Vernon, having left in 1981 to go back to England (another long story). I had got a permanent position as a driver examiner. My supervisor, Gary, commented that he owned a GS750 and we swapped stories about our respective bikes. Fast forward a couple of years and I was out for a ride and decided to drop in on Gary to have a look at 'his' GS750. It had not been ridden for 20+ years and was buried in his garage. I recognised it immediately as my old bike, and it turned out that he had bought it from the financial institution.

I have had it repainted back to close to the original colour red
                and have a few little jobs to do, like rebuilding the front brake caliper, which is proving to be a bit of a chore. The exhaust looks great but is being held together by the chrome, so I have a stainless 4 into 1 from Motad in England to put on that is 'period correct'.

This is the way the bike looked after my cr@ppy paint job. Again, what was I thinking!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2019, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Here is the bike buried in Gary's garage, with an ugly windscreen fitted. The rack gave it away as my old bike.
                  Attached Files

Comment

After I de-windscreened it and got rid of the dust it didn't look too bad.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nickjtc View Post
                      After I de-windscreened it and got rid of the dust it didn't look too bad.
                      Looks great!

Comment

And here it is, repainted. Yes, the decals are not quite right and the red is not exactly as original, but I was able to get a collector plate for it. Now to finish it off.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice 750! Looks good in red.
                          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by nickjtc View Post
                            And here it is, repainted. Yes, the decals are not quite right and the red is not exactly as original, but I was able to get a collector plate for it. Now to finish it off.
                            Better in red...

Comment

Cool history and nice bike! I think that's really neat to have found your original bike like that. I had a 79gs750 when I was a young man. Bought out of cherryville but I'm guessing/betting it's long gone. It was quite a ratter when I owned it but still holds fond memories for me. It was my first street bike. I was early 20's and honestly quite lucky to have survived it.

Jusr a heads up as I'm sure you are probably already aware of but all modifications(including period correct exhaust) done to the bike after receiving collector plates need to be documented/approved with icbc otherwise they can decline coverage. Just mentioning it as I've recently heard a horror story of a bike that lit on fire and had modified the exhaust after approval of collector status. Haven't heard the final outcome on whether they've been covered or not.
                              82 GS1100E
                              01 cbr f4i
                              13 ninja 300

Comment

Working...
                              X