Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post after a lot of lurking. 81 GS850G.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post after a lot of lurking. 81 GS850G.

I picked up an 81 GS850 back in April, it's a work in progress. I got it charging, breathing clean air and new tires on it now. I found a lot of useful information on this forum! I plan on tearing it apart this winter, valve clearance, carbs, clutch springs/disks, seals, gaskets and rebuilding/servicing the suspension. Right now I'm amassing parts and tools. If anyone has any ideas from their own experience on what to look at, take care of or replace while it's down for maintenance, please let me know. I'm not sure how well it was maintained or how long it was sitting before I picked it up.

New Bike.jpg

Changing tires.

Tire change.jpg

Comment

What tires are going on?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Definitely brakes. Bleed new fluid through at a minimum. Strongly consider stainless steel brake lines. Might as well pull the Master cylinders and calipers apart while you have the wheels off to inspect all the components. If they’re grungy, a full clean and new caliper and MC pistons or at least new seals may be in order. Bike looks like it was well loved. Nice find, and welcome to the forum. Definitely take Steve up on his offer of his valve adjustment spreadsheet.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Definitely take Steve up on his offer of his valve adjustment spreadsheet.
          Would you believe that he already did that?

I sent him one five weeks ago.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Too bad there aren't more 850 shafties owners here.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nice !
              Last edited by Redman; 10-11-2019, 01:06 AM.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Welcome to TheGSR.

I see you have already found Steve.

Good that you got it charging. (that is often a new members first post)

You asked what else to check on your 81 850G.

- Hub in rear wheel. Maybe called "spline". Is called joint assemebly in the microfische.
                They wore more on 82s, but I would suggest checking it on your 81. If no one ever lubed it it could be worn and near failure. It should be lubed with every tire change. Anyway, do learn about the hub in the rear wheel. I could yack more about it. Maybe you still have th rear wheel off. Look at the splines in the hub IN the rear wheel (not on the final drive, but IN the rear wheel). And dont just look at the end that can see easy (that end doesnt wear). Try to look inside its entire depth. Better yet, remove the hub for better inspection.
                Last edited by Redman; 10-11-2019, 01:05 AM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

My favourite colour of the G's...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    My favourite colour of the G's...
                    Mine too.
                    I remember seeing one here a couple years ago with that paint and a matching S fairing. It was beautiful.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If the spline is steel gray in color, you are lucky enough to have a good steel one. If it is gold(ish) in color, chances are it is worn and needs replaced.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

If it's worn you'll be able to see it... My 1100G has a gold one but no noticeable wear.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I put the Dunlop 404 tires on it. They seem to be a nice handling tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Definitely brakes. Bleed new fluid through at a minimum. Strongly consider stainless steel brake lines. Might as well pull the Master cylinders and calipers apart while you have the wheels off to inspect all the components. If they’re grungy, a full clean and new caliper and MC pistons or at least new seals may be in order. Bike looks like it was well loved. Nice find, and welcome to the forum. Definitely take Steve up on his offer of his valve adjustment spreadsheet.
                            I contacted Steve a while back and got the spreadsheet. It's stopping pretty well, but the rear rotor is a little worn for my liking. Might as well replace some 38 year old seals while it's apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical_Porkchop View Post
                              I put the Dunlop 404 tires on it. They seem to be a nice handling tire.
                              Be careful as you ride - these tires turn really evil when they get old.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X