First GS, Third Bike, 1978 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GS, Third Bike, 1978 GS750E

Howdy folks, just thought I'd introduce my bike. I've always LOVED the look of the classic UJM's, and was super pumped to find a 1978 GS750E for a reasonable price, despite it being maybe a couple hundred high for the needed work! Picked mine up for $1350 with 11,518 miles on the clock. Mildly concerning considering that same clock also reads 41 years, so this bike has done a lot of sitting. It's in mostly good shape, though, and I think it will be a great introduction into the world of owning a classic bike.

side.jpg

My to-do list is fairly short, but so far I've got: rebuild ALL brake calipers/master cylinders, deep clean/resync carbs, replace top end gaskets, check electrics and replace R/R if not already done, get rid of the tiny barely visible turn signals PO put on it and get something people will be able to see.

The good: Bike runs, and moves, and stops.

The bad: Rear brake caliper is going to be a project, and I'm not convinced there isn't something structurally flawed on the bike. A few scratches through the paint on the tank and rear fender bit.

The concerning: The bike was clearly in a low-speed slide, with most of the aesthetic damage being fixed, I'm not sure what might be lurking, but I'm sure that's true of ANY 41-year-old bike. The engine sounds good, but I have limited experience with air cooled machines. I'm a little concerned I heard some non-valve tapping near cylinder 4 on the exhaust side, but checked with my stethoscope and didn't hear anything terribly extraordinary.

I look forward to sharing more with the community as I start to work on the bike!

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Welcome to TheGSR.

THanks for introduction and picture.

Seems like you are experienced.

Are a few GSR members in Ohio.
      MOre than a couple in DAyton are , more than a couple in Cinci area, and a few scattered about.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

What part of oHIo?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome! Nice 750!
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

What part of oHIo?

Currently southwest Ohio.

Comment

Welcome.... it looks in decent shape & uses Hagon rear shocks. I wonder if it's a bike known to anyone on the forum...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
                Currently southwest Ohio.
                well, then, kinda close to south central Indiana.

Get the gs in good order, and look for posting this winter for the rally in Bedford Indiana in June.

Comment

You're near both Steve and I if you are in the Southwest corner of the state - he's in Centerville and I'm in Miamisburg
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think this bike may have passed through Josh's (thecafekid, a former member) garage about seven years ago.

The handlebar/grips/end cap setup is not stock, and looks like what he had on the black '78 he picked up, got up to speed, and flipped.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

And what a great year 1978 was - the women, the motorcycles...

In '77 the GS750 challenged, and in '78 the GS1000 beat King Kaw. Those were the days.

Nice looking bike.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        You're near both Steve and I if you are in the Southwest corner of the state - he's in Centerville and I'm in Miamisburg
                        Cool stuff, I'm super close to you two. Are there any classic bike community type events that are worth checking out?

Comment

Every summer, Williams Vintage Cycle in Xenia has a vintage bike day. Good amount of people show up and compete their old bikes. Fun to walk around and look at. One of our members entered his 850g one year (Storm) and won something. I am also on the north end of Dayton near Huber Heights.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                          X