Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GLZ - Western Canada

Hi there!
    bought a 82 GS650L last year to get into riding, pretty much only rode enough to get my license and then it started to run pretty poorly. Pulled it out this spring and found you guys - been super helpful! Checking my valve clearances, rebuilding carbs, trying to find an airbox because it came with pods... and having a fair bit of fun all round. Name's Peter, age 21, live in interior British Columbia which is awesome riding country. looking forward to getting on the road!
    Doing my best to stay on the road.
    1982 GS650GL

Welcome Peter.

You came to the right place. Sounds like you’re on the right track. After you handle the required engine and carb maintenance you’re already doing, be sure to take a good look at tires and brakes. If brake lines are original, you’ll want to replace those. Then you’re potentially into the master cylinders and caliper rebuilding. They can be lots of “fun” too. And don’t forget, we like pictures. I see you already figured out how to make a signature. Well done.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hi Peter! yes, you might have to look far and wide for an airbox locally. Ebay might be your friend. New brakelines are nice but I still have my old brakelines on my 650. They are in good condition-no cracks or flaws. Get the bike running right first, IMO. n Lots of good stuff at the link below.

BikeCliff's Website

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, I will keep that in mind next. I have noticed there aren't a lot of airboxes around, fingers crossed. BikeCliff's site has been very helpful!
        1982 GS650GL

Comment

thoughts after initial ride since carb rebuild and valve maintenance:
          1. I have a significantly more powerful bike than I realized: I feel both ripped off by PO and relieved.
          2. Rebuilding a carb and adjusting valves is way more effective than it sounds - thanks everyone
          3. riding in the rain with buttless chaps gives the impression that you wet yourself very badly.

Tuning and a carb sync is needed but I am very pleased - thanks for the comprehensive info everyone!

20200613_162556.jpg
          1982 GS650GL

Comment

Riding in the rain with buttless chaps is a Level Five pursuit. Normally only carried out by owners of big twins.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Funny!

...if you do get round to looking for better riding gear, it's important to pay especial attention to the rear end because water pools at the crotch. In rain Dress up like a fisherman or...well, I have some joerocket overpants and it's a complaint that it's the only place they seem to leak- the "breathable" rain liner lets it past, I guess. They probably should have had a waterproof insert under an extra patch there. ...

Comment

Years ago I discovered a set of wet over-leggings made by a bikewear company called Baleno. I had a couple pairs of them, but one got accidentally tossed on a bonfire (don't ask) and the other eventually wore out.
                They were fantastically waterproof and very stretchable, and only in recent years did I find they're still being made, the magic word is "Flexothane". Baleno seem to have disappeared but the fabric is still being produced and turned into waterproof overtrousers for fishermen, farmers, construction workers, etc.
                Whether Flexothane is the trade name for it in other parts of the world, I don't know, but I scored a pair of bright orange railway worker overtrousers a few years ago, made of the magic material - and they have 2" wide 3M reflective stripes all the way down the pants leg.
                It's of some small comfort, that in the doom, gloom and murk of a dirty, filthy wet day, the drivers on the road might see a flash of glaring orange when /if they glance in my direction or even look in their mirrors once in a blue moon.
                Otoh, I might just score another set of more subdued ones, as they're quite plentiful and cheap.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Pman View Post
                  ...riding in the rain with buttless chaps...
                  My policy is riding in the rain is permitted if you are 21 and going to school or work. Grimly?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    My policy is riding in the rain is permitted if you are 21 and going to school or work. Grimly?
                    21 is probably a good age to find if buttless chaps agree with you or not.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      21 is probably a good age to find if buttless chaps agree with you or not.
                      Is your name Prince? I knew he was still alive.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I will keep my eyes open! at the time, cheap was the only thing I was thinking about
                        1982 GS650GL

Comment

Originally posted by Pman View Post
                          ... at the time, cheap was the only thing I was thinking about
                          Several sayings come to mind regarding that.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Buy once, cry once.

Yes, buy cheap (inexpensive, if you will) when necessary to get something done, but do shop around.
                          You might be able to get something a LOT better for just a little more money.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X