First suzuki owner, 81 gs550t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First suzuki owner, 81 gs550t

Been lurking the forum since I picked up my first suzuki the other day. Seems like an awesome place to share and learn! Got a 1981 gs550t 2 days ago for 600 dollars. Drove it home 40 miles with relatively no issues. Feels like I have a pretty good start! Going to start maintenance and inspection soon. It has trouble starting when warm. Cant wait to dig into it!

Welcome. An uneventful 40 mile ride is a good sign, but be sure to catch it up on required maintenance that likely hasn't been done in decades.

And we like pictures.
    Also, it's good practice to put your bike model particulars in your signature so we easily know what you're working on.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I believe I got the signature thing down.
      Tried uploading a picture and it says it failed I'll have to figure that on out. And already ordered the oring kit plus valve cover gaskets to check clearance. Fresh fluid and spark as of this morning

Comment

Oring kit for the carb dip of course

Comment

There’s a link to using imgur to upload pics to the forum in my signature. I think it’s the best way.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That's a good start. Just done a similar thing myself, although the bike didn't quite make it home lol it broke down at a set of traffic lights. But it did at least make it most of the way so I thought that was a good start too.

Comment

Comment

There she is, used a site called postimage.org
                Super simple just copy the code thanks!

Comment

Looks like a cool bike. I like the "T's" although I have never had one.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I was planning on talking him down from 600.
                    After test driving it and looking it over I couldn't find anything to haggle over. Just insured it today so it'll be legal as of midnight. Tomorrow morning will be the first big ride!

Comment

Looks like good bones! Have fun. How are the tires for age and tread?
                      1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Welcome to the site!

A running 4 cylinder bike for $600 sounds excellent. And you got it just in time. Doesn't the riding season up there end in a few hours?
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Someone just put a set of tires on it. Lucky me. Drove it a good while today and everytime after a long drive if I kill it for more than a minute or so it doesn't start until you let it sit. Cant wait for some parts to show up!

Comment

Working...
                          X