1982 gs650gl project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs650gl project

Hey all how's it going? My names Lando and this is my first bike. My buddy helped me pick this up last year from one of his friends for a few hundred bucks. The previous owner bought it but never got it running and all he knew was that it had a clutch issue.

I'm a car & truck transmission mechanic so we brought it back to where I work and got it running with a jump and some starter fluid but it wouldn't stay running for long.

I bought a new battery, new filter, fixed a gas leak, drained the floats and put some fresh gas in it. We eventually got it to run but it would not move in any gear and came to the conclusion it was not just a clutch cable adjustment.

After realizing it was not an easy fix I knew it would cost a little money to get it running safely plus title/insurance and gear so it sat on the back burner till this year. I also lost the key in the process and had to take the ignition to a locksmith and had a few keys made.

After pulling the cover off and seeing metal chunks I ordered a used clutch off of ebay for $40. I ordered the used one instead of a new one because I figured it would wear it out while learning and plan to get a new one after my first season. Or sooner if it is too worn but thought $40 was worth the gamble to see if it moved.

Good news! After installing it did seem to move but would only run with the choke on and would die with any throttle input. My boss who's an old school guy instructed me to take the carbs out and break clean them up. It runs better but still does without the choke

After lurking the forums a bit I ordered the all the carb o rings/gaskets as suggested. Planning on installing as soon as they arrive plus valve adjustment soon after. My basic parts list so far include:

Oil filter
    Air filter
    Spark plugs
    Wires
    Pads
    Rotors
    Tires
    Petcock rebuild
    Valve shims
    Diesel oil?

Is there anything else that's a common problem on these? I realize the gl is not the most popular model on this forum but it's pretty clean and a great seat height for a short guy like me. I plan to cafe it out and actually have all the parts (new lights for everything/relays, clip ons, grips, rear hoop, still not decided on seat/mirrors) but am gonna ride it stock before I chop it up.

I'm all ears for advice and love tackling new projects so getting this running is fun for me. As a younger guy this is a learning experience with carbs and motorcycles in general. I will be posting pics/updates and asking a few questions but it seems alot of faqs have been answered already. I also have the Clymer manual
    Thanks for all the help.

BTW what is the preferred hosting site here? It seems the pictures off of my phone are too big to upload. Thanks
    Here's a imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/OsK7VKT
    Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2020, 03:45 AM.

You forgot the part where you completely dismantle and dip all carbs and parts. (Except orings and diaphragm.) follow the carb cleaning tutorial on BikeCliffs. (Link in sig) Don’t just throw parts at it. That doesn’t work.

I also have instructions in using Imgur to host pics. Also linked in signature.

welcome to the forum
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      You forgot the part where you completely dismantle and dip all carbs and parts. (Except orings and diaphragm.) follow the carb cleaning tutorial on BikeCliffs. (Link in sig) Don’t just throw parts at it. That doesn’t work.

I also have instructions in using Imgur to host pics. Also linked in signature.

welcome to the forum
      I left out the disassembly/overnight dip but that's what I meant by installing them. I've been lurking for about a year now and will get that sorted first

Comment

I use postimage.org.
        Upload a pic and copy the link it gives you for forums
        Paste on here and go to next line down for multiple pics

Comment

Petcock rebuilds are not that popular, as there seems to be a low success rate with the process. New petcocks are not all that expensive, but there is a baffling array of them out there. I've bought a few that have all come in "Suzuki" OEM boxes. There are definite differences in build quality, making me wonder if someone is just stuffing "Amazon" petcocks into Suzuki boxes.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Once you've got the clutch sorted it should last for quite some time: 10-20k miles (15-30k klicks) would not be unusual, ,,,,,,,unless you're drag racing it.
            Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
            1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Lifttech81 View Post
              I use postimage.org.
              Upload a pic and copy the link it gives you for forums
              Paste on here and go to next line down for multiple pics
              Thank you, this works great.

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              Petcock rebuilds are not that popular, as there seems to be a low success rate with the process. New petcocks are not all that expensive, but there is a baffling array of them out there. I've bought a few that have all come in "Suzuki" OEM boxes. There are definite differences in build quality, making me wonder if someone is just stuffing "Amazon" petcocks into Suzuki boxes.
              Where do you recommend picking one up from? The one on the bike works for now but is really stiff.

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
              Once you've got the clutch sorted it should last for quite some time: 10-20k miles (15-30k klicks) would not be unusual, ,,,,,,,unless you're drag racing it.
              Haha I will definitely not be drag racing it. This is my first bike so ill be taking it easy and getting comfortable riding. After installing it does move but it dies while giving it gas or without the choke.

Im having a really hard time removing the pilot screw out of 2 carbs. I soaked them in the carb dip anyways hoping it would somehow help. No dice. I flipped them over and sprayed penetrating oil on the other side of the screw and have been for the last 2 days. Has anyone used heat on these?

Also what are reasonable prices for the handlebars/seat/rear chrome bumper/all lights? Theyre all really mint besides one of the turn signals orange lens is broken.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2020, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I'll be dammed. I think you may have my old bike there. I sold it almost 10 years ago in Bradley, Il.

Welcome to the GS world. That is a great bike to start out with. I still have a burgundy one in my garage. You can apply a SMALL amount of heat to the housing around the mixture screw. It may help get it to break loose. Good luck, they can sometimes be a real pain...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                  I'll be dammed. I think you may have my old bike there. I sold it almost 10 years ago in Bradley, Il.

Welcome to the GS world. That is a great bike to start out with. I still have a burgundy one in my garage. You can apply a SMALL amount of heat to the housing around the mixture screw. It may help get it to break loose. Good luck, they can sometimes be a real pain...
                  Haha its a small world. The bike is pretty stock(I think), any clues that discern it was yours? Thanks for the welcome.
                  Yeah it looks like an awesome beginner bike. I got a great deal on it, and it's cleaning up real nice.
                  I'm trying all kinds of penetrating oil and letting that stuff soak in before I try it again.

Comment

So i soaked them but it didnt help me.I ended up stripping them by accident. I didnt want to drill them out so I used a fine tip dremel to make a groove deep enough for my screwdriver to bite. I got them out! I dipped them and they should be going back together in the next day or 2.

After I get the bike running decent I really want to jet it and get air pods and mess with the exhaust. Anyone know where to get quality jets?

Also im in search of rear set kit, adjustable levers, cartridge emulators. If anyone can direct me to some quality parts that would help alot. Thanks

Comment

Ordered the dynojet stage 3 kit and some pods. Won't post up my exhaust idea till it's done. Little update on the stance

Comment

Working...
                      X