Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000EC first start (for me)

Hi all just wanted to share the good news,

she started first try ! Sounded a little noisy (to me) but quietened down after a few mins when off choke - she had been sitting for maybe 6 or 7 years and the carbs obviously haven't been vacuum synced yet. I did put some oil down the spark plug holes first.

A sincere thanks to all !
    Thanks to all the GSers past and present, while i've only posted a few times I've read 100's if not 1000's of threads on here learning what to do and what not to do. Bikecliffs site has been ever so helpful to find the guides from the guys here and of course the manual and parts books all in one place etc .

so far completed
    full carb rebuild, no short cuts i swear .
    new intake boots, new filter, new cleaner - airbox boot, waiting on some air box to carb boots, the old ones needed lots of hairdryer to get them on (nearly all the way on just 1-2mm short)
    adjusted the valve clearances, only one out of spec #2 ex at 0.10, had the right shims to sort the others-- waiting on a new shim to fix that one)
    new oil
    new plugs
    new AMG battery
    cam chain tensioner rebuild
    SH775 rec reg plugged in, still planning the install and shuffling around the bits on to the board. stator not tested yet, only just started last night yet, will do that before i remount everything to fit
    petcock rebuild with suzuki bits - old diaphragm is OK
    Koni shocks off to the Ikon factory for a service
    tank inspected and its pretty good ( winning), so just getting the 8% vinegar treatment for a few days per side, hopefully that will clean out anything i cant see.
    already has a dyna

so you can see why I'm ecstatic as I've invested a bit too much time into a bike i only heard start and run like crap the day i paid for it 2 years ago.. the gs400 took longer than expected

underway, or in the queue;
    stator / charging test etc
    front fork rebuild -- have all the bits, commenced but stopped to get her started first
    new bearings front and back
    new tires (which ones?)
    front and rear caliper rebuild and paint, have them all dismantled, and have all the bits and pads ready except the caliper axles/ spindles for the front, on way from japan , slow boat i think. Got the braided line kit from Goodridge too !
    swap out foam on seat to a new to me seat pan with zero rust, add new seat cover and install

then:
    ride it ride it
    pull it all down, clean out all the wiring, paint frame, paint engine, polish polish polish etc etc win lotto and buy stock pipes lol

cheers
    grant
    Last edited by angrypants; 06-17-2020, 01:30 AM. Reason: crappy spelling
    Sydney Australia
    1978 GS400 military police bike...on the road
    1978 GS1000...restoration underway

Excellent.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Great feel'in ain't it. Congrats on a job well done !!!
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Nice work, Grant.
        First startups always feel great.
        Also nice to see a mechanical to-do list first and cosmetics to-do list second.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Very nice! A milestone for sure!
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X