Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

So, i recently bought a 1983 gs550L. It's pretty cool. My first bike too. But it's not running so great. I have lots of questions, because i want to make this bike run properly so i can take it to all sorts of cool places. I'm reasonably adept with auto mechanics but bikes are a whole new world for me. Looking forward to being here! Snapchat-173200266.jpg

Looks solid and complete, occasionally we talk about bikes on this forum so you should get good info . Just ask.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Welcome aboard! More pics, please. That seat shouts 1970's (& early '80's)! I like it.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I don't actually have that many yet! I bought the bike about a week ago, and I've been so preoccupied by trying to get it running normally. Two days ago the bike jumped to life first try and ran beautifully, i was able to take the bike out and get this photo. I've had no luck ever since...Snapchat-791379229.jpg

Comment

Hey JAPA. Welcome.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nice Bike!
            DO get the shop manual. (link below) and Cruise the Bass-cliff site generally. Much applies to your bike, much being common among GS bikes of the era...
            BikeCliff's Website

Parts fiches help a lot when manual doesn't show all the bits and placement. Bass -cliff has a lot of fiches in the BIG file but it's worth having. Otherwise, I like

CMSNLparts

Looks to have low-mileage so IMO, usually it's the carb jets plugged with old detritus . Old battery-but seeing as it fired up, leave that aside awhile...

DO look inside the tank and the fuel filter for rust. Take it offGive it a rinse too. shake out the rattly bits! A tank can look pretty good from the outside
            Do learn about the bike even if you don't want to do the work yourself..but most people here do. They are quite easy in many respects being without radiators and fairings and fuel injection and computers...
            There are general issues that pop up a lot. Charging and petcocks mostly.

Do get the shop manual and check the valves-it's something that gives little trouble if you maintain....drive chain, sprockets too..etc. and feel free to ask in the appropriate section AFTER you read the manual. Try to learn the search function Practise with all the settings it has. EVERY QUESTION has been asked many many times (sigh)

Comment

Welcome JAPA. You've found the right place. A lot of GS answers around here. For many of the GS questions, someone around here has already been there & done that. Get to work, riding season is already half over.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
              X