New Member From Canada With An 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member From Canada With An 1983 GS1100E

I have recently purchased a 1983 GS1100ED. I have been a motorcycle enthusiast for 55 years and owned British bikes, Metric bikes, European bikes and of course a Harley. Along with my new Suzuki acquisition I currently have a 2016 BMW K1600GTL, and a 1983 Honda CB1000c.
    I really like the mid 1980’s Japanese bikes because they had many innovations that appeared, then disappeared only to reappear on motorcycles in later years. For example, the first attempts in anti-dive forks, air suspension, oils temperature gauge, fuel gauge etc. This GS1100ED is complete however typically needs some work and clean up.

I am curious about the fuel petcock on this bike. It has three settings, On, Res, & Prime. The lever wiggles and is not seized and I do not want to force it however I can not seem to move it from one position to another.

This will be my next winter project and I will be looking for information and help via this forum. I hope I can also contribute through my restoration experiences

IMG_0479.jpg

Do not ride faster than your angel can fly
    2016 K1600GL BMW
    1983 Honda CB1000c
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E recent purchase

Welcome! Did you buy that here on the Island?
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

I didn’t think Trevor left any mid 80’s GSs for anybody else to buy. I thought he had them all. Guess he missed one.

Welcome to the forum Ourgang.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-26-2020, 08:30 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I found it in Abbotsford for $3500 CND. About 56000 KM's and has been unused for about 8 years. It appears complete but currently has a 4 into 1 exhaust. I found a stock exhaust on eBay and next spring probably sell the 4 into 1. I prefer the quieter sound of stock pipes. So do my neighbours. The brakes callipers I am sure are seized due to the amount of effort it takes to get them to stop the bike however these are all of the things that will keep me busy in my therapy shop this winter.
        2016 K1600GL BMW
        1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          I didn’t think Trevor left any mid 80’s GSs for anybody else to buy. I thought he had them all. Guess he missed one.

Ha! Sometimes Mark, Rob or I score one too.
          2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
          2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
          2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ourgang View Post
            I found it in Abbotsford for $3500 CND. About 56000 KM's and has been unused for about 8 years. It appears complete but currently has a 4 into 1 exhaust. I found a stock exhaust on eBay and next spring probably sell the 4 into 1. I prefer the quieter sound of stock pipes. So do my neighbours. The brakes callipers I am sure are seized due to the amount of effort it takes to get them to stop the bike however these are all of the things that will keep me busy in my therapy shop this winter.
            Cool. I was wondering if it was Mark's as his has a rear top-box too.
            2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
            2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
            2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

Welcome to the site.
              Lots of variety in the bikes here, feel free to post a pic or two of your other rides.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

Haha...very funny.

Welcome to the forum...the 83 is a great bike...I used to have a blue one...don't ask...lol

If you ever make it over to the island, send me a note....oh and please get rid of that barbecue on the back of the bike....
                No signature

Comment

FYI: There are many, myself included, who consider the 11ED the culmination of the air cooled Superbike era. I think you may be a member of this club.

4-into-1 is okay, pods would be okay, but there seems to be something stuck to the rear of your bike.

Welcome to the forum!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Haha...very funny.

Welcome to the forum...the 83 is a great bike...I used to have a blue one...don't ask...lol

If you ever make it over to the island, send me a note....oh and please get rid of that barbecue on the back of the bike....
                    You used to have two blue ones.
                    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
                    2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      Haha...very funny.

The barbecue is only part of it. The previous owner gave me the tank bag and the soft saddle bags with it as well. If I put all that gear on it you would not see the red in the bike. The Givi box and windscreen will be coming off for pictures. Our Government Insurance has a "Collector" plate program for vehicles older than 25 years that gives us very affordable insurance for pleasure use vehicles.
                      2016 K1600GL BMW
                      1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

The barbecue is only part of it. The previous owner gave me the tank bag and the soft saddle bags with it as well. If I put all that gear on it you would not see the red in the bike. The Givi box and windscreen will be coming off for pictures. Our Government Insurance has a "Collector" plate program for vehicles older than 25 years that gives us very affordable insurance for pleasure use vehicles.
                        Yes, I have a "Multi-collector" plate for all my old bikes...one plate.
                        No signature

Comment

I also have a Collector plate for my 1983 Honda however I am not aware of a Multi-collector plate. How does that work?
                          2016 K1600GL BMW
                          1983 Honda CB1000c

Comment

Welcome. Nice looking cycle. One of my favorites.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I also have a Collector plate for my 1983 Honda however I am not aware of a Multi-collector plate. How does that work?
                              I never pursued the collector plate option as I used my motorcycle for work. It's not as great an option as it was years ago, and it could use some tweaking like the rest of the system ICBC has given us, but Trevor can give you the details in at least how it works for him.

I'm just across the river and East Richmond, if you ever need a hand in the shop and COVID eases up.

- Derrick
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X