Nice ride, poor judgement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice ride, poor judgement

I should have listened to my GS 750 when it told me it wasn't feeling welll instead of listening to the mechanics that assured me "It sounds OK"

My neighbors have had no need to complain about the exhaust note from my GS. I was elated to have my bike back from Montana Power Sports. The top end was clattering and in need of adjustment. The motor still had the same mechanical clatter it had before I took it in for repair. I returned to MPS and had them listen to it and was told it was OK.

The lure of a sunny day in the wind outweighs the foreboding noise and better judgement.

Sunny, Sunday morning; Rex, one of my favorite riding pals and I decided to take advantage of the day and set forth on a journey to points unknown. As we traveled east on the Baker highway, I thought of a loop with one of my favorite stopping places, an overlook that defines SE Montana so we headed out around the Mizpah, over the Powder River and on towards Kinsey which would eventually lead back to the Baker Highway and pavement. Rex's BMW, Paris/Dakar loved the back roads and so did Rex. With the exception of about one mile of new scorrio(sp?) the roads were in good shape and we took turns swapping the lead. Rex, an adventuous soul, had never been in this part of the world before and I think he was enjoying the new scenery. It was a good day, sunshine, motorcycles and open roads.

Back to the highway; After a stop to let the bikes rest and bask in the quiet of the landscape it was time to head back towards town. As we left the overlook we were greeted by the only Homo Erectus we had encountered so far. It was a couple in their Ford truck. After confirming that we were not making improper advances towards the livestock, we had a nice visit. It was time to head home. As we made the final turn toward the highway, and a long run of dry, hard, gumbo and gravel ahead I could see that Rex wanted to give the PD it's legs. With my GS weighing in at five hundred plus pounds and wearing street tires I was obliged to watch as he disappeared into a cloud of dust. Just wait til we get to the highway.

The highway; As we turned on to the pavement it was my turn to show Rex what the "four cylinder universal Japanese motor" was made of. It is tough, it is dependable, it is FAST!. The exhilaration of acceration has never changed for me. What a great way to end a great day, by blowing the fairings off of a good friend and his Teutonic, machine. Wellll......up through 3rd gear, the day had been perfect. Somewhere, just below red line, things went ka-runch, ka-pow, Pop-Pop-Pop then quiet. I saw a yellow plastic blur whiz past on my left. Rex must have been pretty focused on not falling to an imperial foe as he was almost out of sight as my Suzuki crunched to a halt on the asphalt shoulder. Silent, broken, defeated, the day was over. I returned to town on the back of Rex's BMW.

I waited a few days after towing the GS home to pull the head. I feared the worst, I just didn't want to confirm it.

Rex would suggest from time to time that "the summer will slip away and you will miss it, hurry (he assured me) it's probably just a loose wire."

Journey of Discovery; All, yes, each and every rocker on the intake side was lying in pieces on top of the head, two on the exaust side were missing adjustment screws and in ruin. I stopped for the day. I couldn't take much more carnage. The second trip back to my garage exposed one loosened cam bearing which still baffles me and my missing cam chain that was retrieved in two pieces. God, the horror! Where is the humanity?

Anyone out there have a lightly wrecked GS for sale? Sorry Rex I still haven't found that darn loose wire.

Re: Nice ride, poor judgement

Yep, if it doesnt sound right, you can be sure it isnt. :-)

Which model 750 do you have. I have an almost complete 750 engine that I dont need.

Edit: After reading your post again, I note you refered to rockers and adjustment screws. That indicates a 16 valve engine. I have a 79 750 8 valve engine that uses valve shims. I dont believe that head can be installed on a 16 valve engine and I am pretty sure the engine mounts on the 8 valve case would not line up with your frame if you have a 16 valve engine.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks

Mine is an 1982 and yep, it is the TSCC engine. It has an 816 kit with hotter cams and Mikuni carbs. I really dont have much hope for a reasonable repair so I'm hoping for a chain drive replacement engine, 750 through 1100.

There don't seem to be many wrecks on e-bay. I live in a small town in Montana so my options are limited. I think I will expand my search to a larger demographic and hope for the best. A rebuild with the extensive damage I am finding would be cost prohibitive for me.

Comment

Re: Thanks

Well, I also have a 1980 1100 16 valve complete engine, but no carbs for it.
        The engine has 20k miles on it. I got in in a bike trading deal, so have never run it. If youre interested, I can look more closely at it to try to give you a better idea of its condition.

Earl

Originally posted by tuckart
        Mine is an 1982 and yep, it is the TSCC engine. It has an 816 kit with hotter cams and Mikuni carbs. I really dont have much hope for a reasonable repair so I'm hoping for a chain drive replacement engine, 750 through 1100.

There don't seem to be many wrecks on e-bay. I live in a small town in Montana so my options are limited. I think I will expand my search to a larger demographic and hope for the best. A rebuild with the extensive damage I am finding would be cost prohibitive for me.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

your 1100

Earl

Could you measure the distance bewteen carbs and let me know what you want for your engine? I really like the Mikunis and think they might fit. I think the 1100 conversion could be good..

Tucker

Comment

Working...
          X