Got in a terrible bike accident yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got in a terrible bike accident yesterday

I got in a terrible motorcycle accident yesterday. Let me set up the scenario.

I am heading to church yesterday morning around 7:30. I have to get there kinda early to do welcome and announcements and worship. It's a slightly chilly morning, so I don a jacket along with my helmet and khakis. I am heading north on Wauwatosa Rd, a wide open 40mph road. I come to the first cross street about 1 mile from my house. A white Camaro pulls up to the intersection on my right; she's about to turn left. She has a stop sign and I don't. Well, she pulls out. I think to myself, "That's pushing it. She's kinda close." I move to the right side of the lane to avoid her.

Well, another car pulls out right behind her. He didn't even look to his right or left. I immediately know I'm going to get hit. I hit my horn, slam down my brakes and throw my body to the left. He stops still. I slam into his front bumper and go flying. There was about 1.3 seconds there where I thought, "I'm going to hit this guy and there's nothing I can do about it." Then came the sickening crunch. I don't know exactly what happened between hitting him and ending up lying on my back twenty yards down the road. I remember hitting my head and my helmet confirms that fact. Other than that, I don't know the sequence of events.

So I'm laying the middle of the road thinking, "What the heck just happened?" and getting pretty upset with that guy. He comes running full speed from his car, already on the phone to the police and getting an ambulance. I'm sure he thought at least for a moment that he had killed me. But he sees me sitting up and starts shouting, "'I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, oh my God, oh f***, I'm so sorry, I'm calling the ambulance, this is all my fault, I'm sorry."

I call my mom. I've never been in an accident and I don't know that I'm coherent enough to trust myself at that point. She comes right away, actually beating the police there. I also call my pastor to let him know that someone else will have to give announcements. He doesn't answer. I call everyone I know will be at the church, and none of them answer.

Ben (the new youth pastor) actually calls my house looking for me, and my dad answers. Ben asks if I'm at home and my dad says that I left 20 minutes ago. He also discovers my mom is gone. He figures that my bike broke down and that mom came to get me, naturally thinking that if it was more serious he would have been informed. But he wasn't; my mom knew I would survive and wanted to give him some more sleep before jarring his entire world.

Back to me. The police and the paramedics show up. They're ready to take me to the hospital, but no blame has been assigned yet, though the other guy admitted it and it was pretty obvious. If it is in any way my fault, I can't really afford to pay for a hospital visit since my deductible is about $2,000. I know I'm ok, so I figure I'll wait for a while. For liability reasons the paramedics have to recommend that I go immediately, but I choose not to.

The police ask what happened, and we both give the same story, which is nice. It turns out that the white Camaro that pulled out in front of him is being driven by his mom and sister. They're all heading to Chicago, so he just followed them right out. The cop gives him a citation for failure to yield and I don't get a citation at all.

At this point everything is pretty much over. The bike is trashed. The engine is caved in, the front fender has a huge dent in it, the gas tank is smashed in, the front forks are scratched up, it won't turn over... The biggest thing is the back right shock. It should be straight up and down, but it's bent at a 90 degree angle. I'll post pictures soon.

So, that's the story. I walked away from a crash that should have killed me. I went to the doctor today to look at my leg because it's kinda numb between the knee and the ankle, and he just kept looking at me, amazed that I was standing in front of him.

I'm very lucky. I attribute it to God watching over me, but why me? This has raised a lot of questions for me--questions about God and why some people walk away and some don't. Maybe it was just gravity and aerodynamics and anatomy. I don't know, but I doubt it. I have a lot more thinking to do.

Now I have to figure out insurance stuff. How much is the bike worth, how much do I get for pain and suffering, sending in receipts and stuff. Also, I have to figure out if I can go on the Wilderness Trip for our youth group a week from today. We'll see...

By the way, my helmet saved my life. No doubt about it. WI is not a helmet state, but I was wearing one. I advise you all to do the same. I'll have pics up of the bike and helmet and myself soon.

Sounds like you were very lucky if you walked away from the accident. But you should have gone to hospital for a check up. The insurance company for the driver who caused the accident should pay all medical bills. The same insurance company should pay for damages to your bike, helmet, clothing, pay for lost wages and any "pain and suffering".

If you do need some medical attention I'd strongly suggest seeking out a lawyer to take care of things for you. I lawyer will take care of all communication with the car drivers insurance company. You will probably have to work out some arrangement to pay for the medical bills, but at the end of the day you will get that money back.

The only problem with a lawyer is that they will take 30% of the settlement, so there's a question of wether it's worth it or not.

Be very careful when talking to the car drivers insurance company. They may ask if they can record a conversation with you over the phone. Do not agree to this. Never admit any guilt what-so-ever. Best to say as little as possible.

You should also start keeping notes about all that happened and about how the accident is affecting you day to day life. Keep a journal and make daily entries.

Good luck.

Comment

If you need to speak to the insurance company regarding the incedent, call your insurance company. Explain the situation to them. Since they wont be paying you for the accident they will be easier on you as far as asking you questions that may make it seem as though you are partially at fault. From there have your insurance company make contact with the other insurance provider to make the claim.

I am sorry to hear of your accident, it sounds like it was a miracle that you walked away from it.

Good luck with the insurance end of the accident.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad luck,but glad to hear your ok.

Comment

Close One! Smart Man to be wearing a Helmet, It's always safest to assume that every car you see will pull out in front of you because sooner than later one does! Take Care!
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Safety gear is golden. So glad you ended up safe enough to be here telling us about this instead of being in the Hospital on life support. I hope all goes in your favor, any wounds heal, your bike gets fixed/replaced and you gain mucho knowledge about cage drivers from all this! So glad your going to be alright man.

Safety gear! A motorcyclists friend!

Comment

Glad youre ok. Sorry to hear this.

Glad you were wearing a helmet. That is 1 thing I always wear.

Good Luck. God was surely taking care of you.

Comment

Bradley, I'm relieved to hear you're ok. You're very smart to have worn your helmet and gear. Someone taught you well. Just take it easy for awhile. If you go camping, it might go against getting a settlement for pain and suffering. Talk to your lawyer.

Take care,

James

Comment

Wow...what a bummer dude. Hope things work out for you.
                  Remember just because you may not be hurting to bad now doesn't
                  mean problems won't arise in the future.

Do as "oregonDave" stated above.

Comment

Thank God you are alive. Don't ever deny your faith. We are all put here for a purpose I believe, And yours has not been forfilled yet. Take care, heal up, And if it helps, at least the bike can be replaced, you can't.

Comment

Ouch!

I'm glad to hear that you're okay. Safety gear definitely helped, and while there are many GS's out there to be ridden, GS enthusiasts are irreplaceable.

You may be going over and over in your head ways you could have avoided the accident, but I don't think you could have, from the way you describe it.

Comment

Glad you're okay, Brad. Take it easy and make sure to get any and all injuries checked out. And be patient, it will take some time before you see any insurance settlements regarding your injuries. Your bike, on the other hand, will be settled on quickly. If you decide to keep it you'll probably lose a little on the settlement. If you have receipts for your helmet, etc., make sure to get them to the insurance company. If you don't, try and get price quotes from retailers that sell what you lost.

Someone was watching over you on Sunday! Best of luck and keep us updated.

Brad tt

Comment

go through your insurance company. They have a team of lawyers that they use for instances like this. property as others have said can give an immediate return... the injury stuff will come later unfortunately... keep in good spirits and i hope everything works out...

Comment

Thanks everyone. I decided to have an initial consultation with an attorney regarding the accident. Two reasons: 1) the insurance company is out-of-state and 2) I have no idea how much money I should expect to get. Hopefully this will give some sort of benchmark. I'll meet with the attorney today. Who knows, he may say it's not even worth it to him to take the case, but at least then I'll have some idea of how to proceed.

Thanks again for the advice and kind wishes. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Wow! thank god you had your gear on, sounds like it saved your life. it really burns me when cagers don't look just because they are following someone. It is easier for them to catch up to who they are following than it is for whoever they hit to recover whether it be a car, bike, pedestrian etc. Failure to lend right of way is the leading cause for motorcycle accidents where the cyclist is not at fault. I personally think license test should be harder for this reason. (I still held those beliefs before I rode btw).

ok I will get off the soapbox now

I will pray for a speedy an uneventful recovery.

Comment

Working...
                              X