Ride to get paid, get paid to ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride to get paid, get paid to ride

My day job is driving for a courier company. I use my own vehicle, get paid mileage, and all that fun stuff. Most of my deliveries are larger than I can fit in the saddlebags or strap onto the back, so I usually use my minivan. However, I said "most," not "all." On occasion, I get to make deliveries on my GS, and get paid to do it. :twisted:

There are two drivers based out of Lewiston. We switch off, week to week, doing a daily bank deposit run for a local company. I do it one week, he does it the next, etc. Frequently, in decent weather, and if I'm not heading straight there from another job, I'll leave the 22mpg van at home and take the 50+mpg GS to do it - I get paid the same mileage either way. It's only an 8 mile round trip, but it's something, and it's a whole lot more fun on the bike than a cushy minivan.

A few weeks ago, I got called to pick up some medication from a hospital pharmacy in Portland and deliver it to a hospital in Lewiston. Very small cargo, and it was a perfect day, so I took the GS. Even snagged my work EZPass to blow through the tolls. :twisted: (I have an EZPass of my own that I use on the bike, but let work pay for it if I'm working ) Due to the speed necessary, I took superslabs most of the way, rather than the fun back roads. That's the downside to doing courier work on the bike - I need to take the quickest route rather than the most fun. Still, it was a great excuse to get out for a ride.

The bike saved my behind a couple of weeks ago. I was rolling into the middle of Lewiston with 2 envelopes and a small box left to deliver, and my van overheated. Engine fan was dead. I was blocks away from home, so I let it cool down, then drove straight home - parked safely in my driveway, I could deal with the van later. Then I swapped the packages and paperwork over to the bike, went out, and finished my deliveries! In fact, it was much easier to navigate around Bates College on the bike, where U-turns are nothing compared to a minivan. Then I went home, borrowed a housemate's car to go get a replacement fan (too big even for the bike), and fixed it.

Many of my deliveries are from the local hospital's blood bank to other area hospitals. There are two standard size, insulated Red Cross boxes that are generally used. Unfortunately even the smaller size is a bit difficult to secure to the GS. However, the thought has crossed my mind of building some type of contraption to hold these boxes on the bike so I can gain the speed and maneuverability advantages of a bike for the blood deliveries. That, and unlike a plain looking minivan, if people see me screaming up behind them with boxes clearly marked "Red Cross, Human Blood," they might just get out of my way - or, at least, not be upset if/when I blow past them...

Re: Ride to get paid, get paid to ride

Originally posted by Zook
    and unlike a plain looking minivan, if people see me screaming up behind them with boxes clearly marked "Red Cross, Human Blood," they might just get out of my way - or, at least, not be upset if/when I blow past them...
    and God forbid if you had a serious accident and needed blood, chances are they would have enough!

Comment

Re: Ride to get paid, get paid to ride

Originally posted by Zook
      My day job is driving for a courier company.

Many of my deliveries are from the local hospital's blood bank to other area hospitals. There are two standard size, insulated Red Cross boxes that are generally used.
      I used to work for a courier company years ago. The people I worked for supplied the vans. One of my jobs a couple of mornings a week was to pick up stuff from the local hospital and take to my office. In my case the boxes fit very nicely in my saddle bags. The boxes I had contained infectious blood products. I asked the people at the lab if it was safe to carry on the bike and was told not a problem as there are so many layers of plastic and cardboard (seven in fact) that even if I lost the cargo it wouldn't break.

It was soooo much nicer to take the bike instead of my van to work as my office was about 25 kms from my house.

Comment

Working...
      X