Just pass it on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just pass it on

My wife and I purchased our first motorcycle a little over a year and a half ago. I noticed that as I rode around town other motocyclists would wave as they passed by. I like to think of myself as freindly, so I quickly became acustomed to the wave, and started looking forward to it as I rode.

One weekend we decide to get out of the Mesa, AZ heat by riding up through the northern part of the state. We left of friday afternoon, and spent the night in Payson (about 80 miles north), with the thought of getting an early start.

The next morning we start out at 8:00am. About 15 miles north of Payson, at about 60 MPH, the back tire picks up a nail off the road and blows out. By shear luck we didn't go down, but coasted wobbilly over to the side of the road. A little shaken by the blowout, and without a cell phone, we figured we better take some water and begin walking back to the nearest location with a phone.

Just then a large Ford F250 pulled off the road and a young man of about 25 yrs jumped out and asked if we were okay. I explained what had just happened with the tire. Without hesitating, he picked up his cell and called a friend of his who showed up in about 10 minutes. They helped us load the bike up onto the truck and he began to explain: "Theres a bike shop just down the hill from Payson, they know me there. They usually give me 20% off on tires, and I'll see if they'll do it for you."

He drives us to the shop, speaks with the owner and we unload the bike. He tells me that it'll take them about 45 minutes with the tire. He invites us to a quick soda and sandwich while we wait, and he hangs out with us until the bike is complete. He tells us about his bike, and recommends some great ride routes as we pass the time.

Were it not for him, we would have really had a hard time. When I asked him what I could do to repay him for all his time and kindness. His anser: "Hey... just pass it on."

That right there is what comes to mind everytime now when I see someone else riding past me and I raise my clutch hand to wave. It's the automatic comradery. It reminds me that I need to "just pass it on."

That's the way it was meant to work. God bless him.
    Glad you met up with such a nice person.

Comment

Good Story and Good Advice! 8)
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Very cool story. Nice to know there are nice people out there.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I think there are still a lot of people like that around they just don't get much press.

I know I have found several when I needed help and I have helped a few people out, I think that I have been willing to go the extra bit of distance because of people who did it for me.

Comment

This is one of the great things about the motorcycling brotherhood. If I am ever pulled over on the side of the road someone will always stop to see if I'm okay. This was the theme of a Helen Hunt and Kevin Spacey movie 'Pay it Forward' which is a pretty decent movie and a great idea.

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I'm one of those guys that will help out then refuse payment and say pass it on. I was in a bind years ago and a guy did it for me, I like to think there are hundreds of guys out there passing it on.

Comment

I thought about this thread yesterday. As I posted in Off Topic, I got Lucky and Won a Sony 51" Hi Def. TV at the plant where I work as a door Prize in an Open House over the weekend. As is Right and Proper, I took a Lot of Grief at work Monday for being the "Lucky Dog" who won the Big door prize. I was checking it's size to see if it would fit in my Caravan if I took all the seats out and Realized Quickly it Would Not. One of our Maintenance men who lives out my way Volunteered to haul it to my house in his truck without my asking. When I went to get it after work another Maintenance guy who Doesn't live out my way was there to help us load it up and tie it in the truck. They both helped Me unload it and take it into the house.

When we finished, I thanked them and offered them something to drink which they declined. They noticed that my Garage door was messed up, and as I was explaining that the day before a shovel had fallen into the track as it was closing and I had called a Garage door Repairman, they went to work on it. In fifteen minutes the door was Fixed, they were gone, and I was hooking up my new TV. As a side note, the Heat index here yesterday was near 110*F. YES, there are GOOD folks around and sometimes they find you before you find them! 8)
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                X