Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got some rainy days to get a little work done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got some rainy days to get a little work done!

Well, I finally got some time (rainy day, ... didn't feel like suiting up) and got around to setting my points on the old 79. I found a little bit of buildup between the points, so I took a piece of emery paper and put it between and cleaned them up real good. Then set it to the dead center of the range in the shop manual.

Now, I was not expecting to see much difference, they were not WAY out, but WOW! Idle came up about 150-200 rpm, she will run with much less choke when starting, and in fact I can take the choke off almost immediately and keep it running with the throttle (before the choke needed to be on for about 1-1.5 minutes). The idle smoothed out, it's much smoother under load, it is amazing!

After having that much luck with the points I took on the front brake light switch which was not working. Found that what looked like a place for a spring had a little pile of rust sitting on the contact, everything was corroded and looked like crap. I cleaned up the metal contacts, stole and snipped up a spring out of a pen (perfect fit) and presto, my brake light works perfect. Unfortunately in the process I ended up having to invert the brake cylinder to get everything together so I had to bleed the brakes, no problems there aside from wishing for longer and several more arms!

And the result of that was impressive as well, not only do I have a brake light, but I no longer have a nasty screach in the brakes every time I use them!

After all this luck I decide that I would replace a couple of bulbs in the instrument cluster, which went perfectly, and now I can see the speedo at night and I have a neutral light!

Oh, and I lubed up the kickstand which seems to need constant attention or it gets sticky. Anybody ever found a good way to keep the stupid things moving freely?

I know they are just little things, but it sure does feel great when everything seems to go right and you actually get things accomplished!

I felt so good about it that tonight I went out between rain showers and gave it a really good wash that it has been desperately needing. I must admit that when the weather is good the cleaning takes a back seat to the riding.

Have a good one!
    Jeff

Sounds great to have a day with all the repairs going the way they should. I wish I could have one of those days. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      Sounds great to have a day with all the repairs going the way they should. I wish I could have one of those days. :-)

Earl
      8O Teddy needs repairs?! 8O How can a garage ornament need repairs?

:mrgreen:

Comment

In Lecanto fl. we are waiting for the rainy days to stop 8O 8O

Comment

Nah, Teddy doesnt need anything. She's sittin on her pedestal, enjoying the accent lights and acting the hussy she really is.

Earl

Originally posted by Desolation Angel

Earl

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Nah, Teddy doesnt need anything. She's sittin on her pedestal, enjoying the accent lights and acting the hussy she really is.

Earl

Originally posted by Desolation Angel

Earl

That spoiled brat!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
              Hmmm, now that I have it working properly I am in the same situation. It is supposed to clear up tomorrow and be sunny until sometime next week.

Well, ... sunny in the daytime, I suspect the nights will still be dark! hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
                Originally posted by scotty
                Hmmm, now that I have it working properly I am in the same situation. It is supposed to clear up tomorrow and be sunny until sometime next week.

Well, ... sunny in the daytime, I suspect the nights will still be dark! hahaha
                This is definitely the time of year to be in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                X