Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is your bike worth? (56k warning:long-winded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is your bike worth? (56k warning:long-winded)

No, I don't mean how much it would sell for, or how much some book says its worth,but whats it worth to you?

my question comes from a conversation with one of the previous owners of my bike, he was a tenant of my buddies, and gave him the bike for some rent money, and I bought the bike.

So we are walking out of the house and into the garage and he off-handedly jokes "Hey, You got my bike about ready for me yet?"

I had to stop and think for a second, starting to add up all the expenses both financial, and labor costs. I responded that he probably wouldn't wanna pay the price. we all had a chuckle and cracked another beer.

but that got me thinking, just what value does this bike have to me? theres the initial cost-500 bucks, thats an easy one. I have reciepts for at least 1000 bucks in parts, some maybe not so necessary, but with my "inside contacts" manage a hefty discount on all my purchases, so retail value is much higher, say 1500 in parts and pieces, with a couple hun in new rubber and brake pads in the near future.

then the man hours, Ive spent probably a hundred hours in the garage, but Im not hittin it like its a job either. lets say 55-60 hours of hard work. thats including alot of wiring work, a particularly stubborn bolt removal. major engine workk, etc. details aren't really important.

SO- 2000.00 in cash and 60 hours at , whats my time worth, at least 20 bucks an hour although youd be hard pressed to even get me to do this for someone elses bike, for any price this side of reasonable. lets say 20 bucks an hour and add 1200 bucks.

3200 bucks. way over what the bikes worth and gonna be more soon. and in no way is the bike worth that on the open market. but she's not for sale, Im riding her till she won't go no more

So whats your bike worth to you?

How much is my bike worth to me? Hmmm.
    My bike is like a part of the family. I bought it new almost 26 years ago for my 23rd birthday. In '99, just before I started the rebuild, I first went to all the dealers to see if I liked any of the new bikes. I had an open mind but none of the new bikes did anything for me. I didn't like the crotch rockets, the cruisers, etc. I knew a complete rebuild would be expensive, but I knew I'd be happy with my bike completely re-done and with a lot of upgrades. My bike always fit me just right and if I could rebuild it better than new, why not?
    I budgeted about $5,000 to $6,000 for the whole job. I went over budget and spent $10,000. I did shop around for engine work, various parts, powdercoating, etc. I like to save money too, but I wanted work that I had confidence in. I simply found out that a total ground up restoration costs bucks. I scrimped on nothing and money wasn't really the main thought here, just being happy with the results was.
    Not one washer was over-looked on my bike. Anything that didn't look like it could go another 100,000+ miles was changed. I put in every single spare minute over a 5 month span doing all the work, except the engine. The engine went to V&H and the crank and clutch was welded/modified back east. I can't say how many hours I spent on it though. A LOT!
    I learned a lot about the bike and though there were some PITA moments, I look back at it all with fond memories. The bike runs great, it's more powerful, handles better, and I get a lot of attention and compliments on rides.
    I do realize I could have bought a 'Busa or something else for the money I spent, I'm asked that once in a while, but in the long run I'm really glad I kept the bike and decided to rebuild her! The bike does everything I ask of it. I plan to always have the bike and in good running condition.
    So that's my story. $10,000 and a lot of hours. But when you factor in sentimentality, being able to do maintenance work myself, cheap insurance, cheaper tires, etc, the cost comes down quite a bit over the years, when you compare it to a new bike.
    The compliments I get on the bike and the bonding I made doing the work make it a good deal for me.
    Everyone has there limit, but to be honest, I wouldn't sell the bike for $20,000 at this time. Like I said, it's not about money sometimes. $20,000 wouldn't change my life that much. Not having my bike out in that garage would change my life.
    And I can put this in another perspective. Earlier this year I beat a V-Rod in a quick drag. He gave up after 3 or 4 gears actually. I even let him jump me a couple bike lengths. Gave me a good feeling knowing the old girl can still compete against newer technology. Little things like this make it fun owning an older bike. She's worth every penny I spent on her.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!;)

Comment

Well said, Keith.......was that you on "Pinks" ?

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

[QUOTE=themess;1993470] Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
        Well said, Keith.......was that you on "Pinks" ?

Tony.
        No. That same V-Rod wouldn't have pushed it to 2 out of 3 against my bike.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!;)

Comment

Damn Keith...I know your bike is sweet, but I did'nt realize you put that
          kind of money into it. I know how you feel concerning being part of the
          family....even though my ride has only been in the stables a few years
          her and I have a understanding....she gets me where I want to go and
          I keep her cleaned, polished and rust free till death do us part :roll:

Comment

nice bike man, thats a keeper for certain. I can't see a day when Ill be ready to part with the GS. I've been riding all day today, and I rode to work a few days last week, and Ive quickly grown to love the bike. smooth, powerful, quiet, and stable. and thats on almost used up tires. cant wait to start dialing in the suspension a little

Comment

I'm unbelievably fortunate in that my 1000S was given to me by the first owner. Simply stated, it's priceless! I'll never sell it...I'd be more inclined to continue the good karma by offering it up to a deserving home first(don't call me, I'll call you : ) ). I've had most of the little problems that I see others here hasseling with, and every time I spend a dime on it, I feel as though it's the best money I ever spent. I can't imagine any other bike(and I've had several) giving me that same feeling.
              Hugh

Comment

Someone would have to offer me at least $3,000 to consider selling the bike. I paid almost $2k, put in another $600 (not including disposables like tires and brake pads), and spent countless hours working on it. $3000 might get me to think about it, $4000 would be no question.
                Currently bikeless:(
                '81 GS 1100EX - [SIZE=1]"Peace, by superior fire power." [/SIZE]
                '06 FZ1000 - [SIZE=1]"What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B]"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I can't think of anything that would make me sell mine. When I bought it, it was the one of the ugliest bikes I think I had ever seen. But every time I insert the key, and hit the ignition, it fires right up. I've spent countless hours cleaning it up, painting it, removing the things I didn't want on there. I just finished rebuilding the instrument cluster and it's working like a charm now. This is the only vehicle I've ever owned that has gotten better while I've owned it. Trust me, I'm automotive death!

But it's not the work that I've put into it. Whenever I've needed time to clear my head, I hop on, start it up, and go. Any time, day or night. Something about the sound of the engine, the sound of the wind, and the feeling of it. I'm sure I'll own more bikes in the future, but I know that I'll still have this one.

Comment

Let's see, I have an '82 GS450TX. Seems like I paid about $500 for it. Then $200-$400 to Suzuki to make it run, then around $250 for paint job. I've spent $600, maybe 800 in NOS parts including new tires....

I won't count my time working on it 'cause it's not all that much; a few Saturday mornings.

I'm probably into it for $1600, maybe a couple hundred more.

Hmmm, Kelly Blue Book says (Retail) > $885

N.A.D.A Guide says (Retail) >>>>>>> $400

There's a guy selling the exact year/model on ebay now starting bidding at $1500 with reserve not met http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2823&rd=1&rd=1 . Someone last year tried to sell one for over $3000 (it was NOS bike).

It's a lot of fun, but I'd sort of like to buy another BMW and there's not room in the garage for a third bike (not comfortably), hmmmm.

I might be arm twisted into selling it for $1500. Heck it's low mileage at 10,000, gets (I think) 60mpg, is mechanically perfect and almost cosmetically perfect (need a NOS sprocket cover), and looks pretty darn cool if I do say so myself.

Yep, $1500 would get it.

Here it is before the new magneto cover, engine guards, and luggage rack/backrest combo.

Comment

Nice lookin' bike.....
                      Hugh

Comment

I have only had my bike for a couple of months, but I would struggle to sell her...For one, I can't replace it for what anyone would be willing to give me. For another, It's hard to let something go when you have brought it back to life. When I got her, she was dusty, dirty, starting to rust, and not ridable. Now, shes not great (good from far, far from good), but it looks passable, and she ridable. I think this is one of those "priceless" things.

Comment

how much is your bike worth?

Yea, I agree. the book value dosen't take consideration all the work put into our bikes. Insurance companies aren't into giving anyone what it would cost to replace a bike with one restored to my liking, as mine will be when I get done.---Taz 81 GS750L

"making a smoking section in a resturant is like making a peeing section in a public pool". ---beerguy

Comment

I bought what I like and they don't make anymore - a naked inline 4. The 1200 bandit is about as close as it gets to a GS, but for the money I could have 3 GS bikes.

I look at it this way - anybody can buy a new bike, try finding and maintaining a classic like the GS. I get more comliments at a gas station surrounded by Harleys than they do. Even had a HD rider at a light, on what was probably a 30K custom job, compliment ME on my ride. After all, I was on the 25 year old bike that still looks new.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My story is very close to Keith's. I actually bought my bike (the 850) in December, 1979, one month after he bought his and on the othe side of the country. I did my rehab starting in 1999 (December), 20 years and over 100,000 miles later. Crankshaft up rebuild of the engine, brakes, custom seat, paint, clutch, steering & wheel bearings, etc. I have also replaced the suspension and of course the rr & stator. I did not restore to original appearance and 'only' spent the $5-6000 Keith had as his original target.

I also checked on the new bikes over the years. Prior to my GS I had averaged a new motorcycle every 2 years, but from that point year after year I found nothing that seemed to suit me and my riding better than what I already had. That is still the case. Lately I have been tempted to get something that would give me better gas mileage but even if I do, I wouldn't sell or trade the 850 for any price. 25+ years is longer than I have had any wife, girlfriend, house, car, job, business, or piece of furniture. It stays.

To me it feels special having a 25 yr. old bike that performs better and more reliably than a new $18,000 one. I trust it more than newer bikes because of its simplicity. I know everything that is likely to go wrong on it and most of it I can fix with a few dollars worth of parts from Bike Bandit.
                              No computers, no mapping, no expensive diagnostics. I can pack up a few tools and parts and take a long trip with confidence.

The only way I could have that kind of assurance with a new bike would be to buy often enough to always have one in warranty. It wouldn't be the same.
                              [B]Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.[/B]

[B]Nature bats last.[/B]

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X