Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of "first" for a new rider. Busy week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of "first" for a new rider. Busy week.

Well this has been an interesting few days. I took the MSF BRC last week and have been riding my bike quite a bit. I had the pleasure of many firsts for me and my bike this week. I have had my first tailgater, first inacurate weather forecast (supposed to be sunny, i had my rain gear with me just in case), first ride in the rain (not as bad as I thought it was going to be... full face helmet would have been nice though), first ride at night (it gets a little chilly up here in maine at night this time of year), and the best part...... MY FIRST FLAT FRONT TIRE! Driving to work on tuesday morning and luckly I was only going 15 and within 1/4 mile of the house when all of a sudden the handle bars started to shake violently. I remembered from the BRC that when this happens that means the tire is starting to go slack, so I pulled over immediately. Pulled a u-turn and pushed it back to the drive way. GS1000E's are heavy bikes to push a 1/4 mile with a flat front tire. I have the truck in the back of the truck and will be dropping it off at the bike shop. The best part is that the tires are brand new and have only been on the bike for 1 week. less then 75 miles on them. It seems like something malfunctioned in the tube.

Sounds like a fun week....good luck with the tire and ride safe.

Comment

And now you know to carry a can of fix-a-flat with you at all times ;-)... It may not work in all cases, but it's sure nice to not have to push that far..

Comment

Welcome.

Flats are a fact of life but they are getting to be pretty rare occurances with new tires.

Unless you go cruising around construction sites, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
          Welcome.

Flats are a fact of life but they are getting to be pretty rare occurances with new tires.

Unless you go cruising around construction sites, that is.
          Around here you can't hardly drive without going through a construction site! One year I got 4 nails in my rear tire (different times, plug...nail..plug...nail...arg).. Gotta put a mud-flap on the front ;-)

Comment

hey, it has been a fun week. the bike should be ready for the road by early evening. I've got my gear with me so I can ride home tonight from my second job. I work 40 hours at job 1 and 25-35 hours at job 2 per week. I almost always have weekends off though.

Not sure if the fix-a-flat would work. the valve stem is not connected to anything right now. not sure if that is why it went flat or if something went wrong with the tube.

Luckily it didn't go completly flat until I got it back in the driveway. It made pushing into the bed of the truck very interesting though. It didn't want to roll very easily. Probably doesn't help that my driveway is dirt and we have had a bunch of rain. Needless to say my driveway is a mud pit. Very hard to get traction with the boots. Almost did a face plant in the mud.

Comment

Re: Lots of "first" for a new rider. Busy week.

Originally posted by d.j.b
              and the best part...... MY FIRST FLAT FRONT TIRE! Driving to work on tuesday morning and luckly I was only going 15 and within 1/4 mile of the house when all of a sudden the handle bars started to shake violently. I remembered from the BRC that when this happens that means the tire is starting to go slack, so I pulled over immediately. Pulled a u-turn and pushed it back to the drive way. GS1000E's are heavy bikes to push a 1/4 mile with a flat front tire.

Dood, please see this thread of mine. Don't risk your life for a few bucks please! 8O

Comment

Got the bike back on thursday of last week and have already put 150 miles on it this weekend. That is with working at both jobs. I went on the highway for the first time last night. Just a little cruise from Bangor to Orono (all you Mainers will should no where these are). Only "problem" I had was a rig came up beside me with out me knowing he was there. I moved over towards the right 3rd of the lane to avoid the windgust, but didn't quit make it in time. Kind of buffeted me for a while but managed okay. It is just a great feeling to be out on the bike. After a long day it is a good way to unwind before going home. I'll be taking a trip down to Ellsworth this weeked, weather permitting (i have rain gear, but that is a long trip to take if it is raining).

I have lost track of how many people have come up to me and asking about my bike and giving compliments about how it looks and runs. And I have barely started doing any work on it yet. By next season she should be looking pretty good. I plan on getting the exhuast cleaned up (the previous owner spray painted the piped black and it is chipping off). I will also probably be getting a new paint job. It is red right now, but I am fairly partial to blue (must be because I am in the Air Force). I wonder if I could find the Air Force blue color and get it painted with that. Also been thinking of getting the Air Force Logo "ghosted" on the top of the tank. Not sure yet what I'll do with her. I have so many ideas in my head of how I want the bike to look, I just have to start figuring out what I need to do to get it there. I'll keep everybody posted on my progress. And of course post pictures when it is finished. Even though nobody ever "finishes" upgrading a bike. There is always something else that can be done to them.

Comment

Re: Lots of "first" for a new rider. Busy week.

Originally posted by d.j.b
                  ...GS1000E's are heavy bikes to push a 1/4 mile with a flat front tire. ......
                  Oh yes....I feel your pain.

Comment

80GS1000E - have you done any modifications to your bike like changing out the seat, putting on saddlebags, etc... If you have can you send some pictures. i am looking around for some ideas of how to put saddle bags on my bike for some extra storage.

Comment

Working...
                    X