Winter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter projects

Man look at the snow come down! Decided to go ahead and get the Jardine 4 into 1 header system for my GS1000E, ordered from MAW for $347 including shipping. Also plan to powder coat the wheels and put on new Lasertecs. Trying to check the compression this morning, but the hose on my guage has a bad leak. Well thats the way it goes. One step forward and two back. Off to look for a replacement. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

That's the spirit! Project time is here!

Comment

Not a whole lot on the plate this year.
      Just a possible 530 conversion and a seat rehab/recovering. 8) 8) 8)
      What else are you gonna do in the snow
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

What's snow? :?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE

Snow is not frozen rain. Snowflakes are created inside clouds by tiny ice crystals colliding and sticking together. Most snowflakes melt on their way to the ground and fall as rain. Only when the air near the ground is cold enough will snowflakes fall as snow. All snow crystals are six-sided (hexagonal) and no two snow crystals have ever been found to be identical. Some snowflakes can grow to be 5-7 cm (2-3 in) across. When fresh snow is moist enough to stick together, snowrollers may form on hillsides or in large fields. A ?snowroller' is like a cylindrical snowball in shape and is blown by winds of more than 32 km/h (20 mph) until it grows too large to travel any farther. Snowrollers can reach nearly 1.5 m (4 ft) in diameter.

Snow can be Wet or Dry
          When it is very cold, "dry" snow falls - the ice crystals do not stick together easily and the snow is fine and powdery - in very cold dry conditions ?diamond dust' ice crystals may fall. At less cold temperatures near freezing point, "wet" snow falls and large snowflakes form, especially if there is no wind. There are lots of different types of snow, as skiers know only too well. The Inuit people of the Arctic have lots of different words for snow as they live among it all year round and so understand it extremely well.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Lots of plans for the GS850 this winter and spring

After 4 months (or whatever) of screwing around, picking up my ceramic coated 4 into 1 Jardine this week. Old exhaust just couldn't cut it. Whatever carb work that is the result.

Cam chain tensioner rebuild
            New intake boots and O-rings, clamps etc.
            New shocks and front fork springs
            Allen bolt kit
            Tires
            New trim, crack fixing, and parts for the Windjammer
            New splines.
            Rear brake pads.
            All that and I'll still have stock ignition, a nice dent in the gas tank, so it will still be a little "ratty".

Love it. Rather have a nice rat bike than a nice new bike!

P.S. If you're looking for snow, come over to my place. Still plenty left.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler

Snow is not frozen rain. Snowflakes are created inside clouds by tiny ice crystals colliding and sticking together. Most snowflakes melt on their way to the ground and fall as rain. Only when the air near the ground is cold enough will snowflakes fall as snow. All snow crystals are six-sided (hexagonal) and no two snow crystals have ever been found to be identical. Some snowflakes can grow to be 5-7 cm (2-3 in) across. When fresh snow is moist enough to stick together, snowrollers may form on hillsides or in large fields. A ?snowroller' is like a cylindrical snowball in shape and is blown by winds of more than 32 km/h (20 mph) until it grows too large to travel any farther. Snowrollers can reach nearly 1.5 m (4 ft) in diameter.

Snow can be Wet or Dry
              When it is very cold, "dry" snow falls - the ice crystals do not stick together easily and the snow is fine and powdery - in very cold dry conditions ?diamond dust' ice crystals may fall. At less cold temperatures near freezing point, "wet" snow falls and large snowflakes form, especially if there is no wind. There are lots of different types of snow, as skiers know only too well. The Inuit people of the Arctic have lots of different words for snow as they live among it all year round and so understand it extremely well.
              Sounds like somethin' I wanna avoid. 8O Will I know it when I see it?
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

[quote="KEITH KRAUSE"][quote="crag antler"]

Sounds like somethin' I wanna avoid. 8O Will I know it when I see it?[/quote]

Oh yeah 8O 8O 8O
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

This is what I was doing last winter and spring, complete tear down including engine top end. No problems in there, but lots of nasty things in the carburators. Finally got it going as shown in the last picture. Added an oil cooler from a GSXR1000 later in the summer. The Jardine 4 into 1 arrived yesterdayand after a brief struggle, it finally slipped into place. The #3 pipe was a little out of perfect alignment, but I did manage to get it in there. The header really did wonders for the old Suz, seems to be just what the doctor ordered at this altitude, was running on the rich side and not as smooth as with the header. And does it sound nice!!! I will add pics of these as soon as possible.
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Very nice :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Thanks Craig, Now I've got to do something with the wheels then mount new tires. I haven't gotten to the point of calling it a season though there are fewer and fewer nice riding days left. Went for a spin yesterday, mostly to enjoy the new header, the weather was cool and windy. Supposed to snow again today and tomorrrow - RATS. Take the bad with the good and think about next spring. Ray
                      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Cold now. Highs in the 30s, lows in the teens. And it's supposed to stay like that all week. Brrr.

Ray, what did you do for the oil cooler adapter? Those seem to be unobtanium. Want to put an oil cooler on my bike next summer but that's a big problem.

Debby
                        1979 GS1000N
                        2019 Kaw Z900RS
                        plus a few more

Comment

Hi Debby, I was able to find a used Lockhart adapter at Boulder Cycle Salvage. He was pretty proud of it, we settled on $35. He didn't even know it was out in the yard, but after finding and inquiring about it, the adapter and well worn cooler became a very sought after item. Such is the life of us older bike riders. I didn't see any others in his yard, but I think Steel's in Denver may possibly be able to come up with one. The other choice is ebay, which is where I finally got the GSXR cooler for a very reasonable $20 even had the oil lines thou they required a little reworking for the GS. I have seen several coolers and adapters there but never was sucsessfull in getting a complete system there. Still another choice is our fellow GSer Sherrifscotty(?) who makes a quality unit. I think there is a thread in product reviews for him. Another possibility would be using mine as a pattern at a machine with an automated milling machine. I think that may be a little pricy. If you want to try that route let me know, I'd be glad to help you. Well enjoy the blustery day. Ray
                          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

OK. I give up. It's winter allready. 15 degrees and dropping like a rock and light snow. I hate winter!!!!!
                            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Hey Debby, I'd look for you at Steeles, but probably wouldn't know exactly what to look for if it bit me.

If you want to come down this way and look, give me a shout. I probably could stand to walk around the yard again, but try to pick a warmer day than today. I show 10 here now.

Ghostgs1, my garage is holding my 550. In the tech section you'll see a thread about reinstalling the engine. I got it that far, but haven't had warm enough temps to finish it up. No new mods for it this cold season, but a figure installing a tranny is enough for this year.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X