I wish I understood it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I understood it.

I went for a short ride of about 20 miles tonight. I was on a two lane county road, dark, light traffic and with cross intersections about every 1/2 mile. My road was through traffic, no stop signs. I'm cruising the speed limit of 45 mph when I see a semi tractor trailer rig, no lights and not running, parked on the right shoulder, maybe 300 feet ahead. The road is dark and there is no traffic for maybe 1/2 mile ahead. As I reach the rear of the rig, I get an odd, flush feeling, the kind you get when when something is really wrong, but there was nothing wrong, nothing there and no one in sight. A small voice whispered to chop the speed and get on the brakes. I did and as I reached the back of the cab, a car that was parked in the dark, in front of the semi, lights off, pulled onto the road and then turned on their lights. Had I continued at the speed limit, I would have been in the space the unlit car pulled onto the road at. This type of thing has happened more often that I can attribute to chance. Maybe I've been riding so long that I've developed some kind of odd instinct. It certainly isnt any concious thought or directed effort. It just happens. I almost scare myself sometimes. I wish I knew how I know.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Glad you had that second thought Earl. The way things are nowadays on the road is down right scary
    It seems you have to be on your guard even more than 100%
    Even driving in the car the things that happen make me glad I ain't on the bikes at the time.
    Doug [b]aka[/b] crag antler
    [img]http://home.ptd.net/~megabyte/misc/byejojo.jpg[/img]
    [B]83GS1100E, [I] gone[/I][/B]
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    [B]Please wear [/B][B]ATGATT[/B]
    [img]https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/CTFLGAMEMANHNYNCSCTNVTVAsm.jpg[/img]

Comment

Good Call Earl! I know I've ridden nowhere near as long as you have, but I have the exact same thing happen to me all of the time. I just get a feeling that I need to slow down and do it, then something comes out of nowhere in my path. I learned to always listen to my instinct at a young age. If it wasn't for that I can honestly say I wouldn't be here now. Glad you're still with us!

Comment

" I learned to always listen to my instinct at a young age. If it wasn't for that I can honestly say I wouldn't be here now. "..................... I feel the same way. Its almost like some kind of 6th sense. I wish I knew how to keep it engaged all the time. :-) I really dont like surprises. LOL

I havent been riding THAT long. :-) 34 years ......seems like yesterday that I pulled onto the road for the first time on my CB350.

Earl

Originally posted by jtcrespo
        Good Call Earl! I know I've ridden nowhere near as long as you have, but I have the exact same thing happen to me all of the time. I just get a feeling that I need to slow down and do it, then something comes out of nowhere in my path. I learned to always listen to my instinct at a young age. If it wasn't for that I can honestly say I wouldn't be here now. Glad you're still with us!

Comment

Earl,

Maybe you have ESPN!
          [COLOR=red]IBA# 24077[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=blue]'15 BMW R1200GS Adventure[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R
          [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]
          [/COLOR] [B][COLOR=black][FONT=&amp]"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

Comment

:-) :-)
            Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
            Earl,

Maybe you have ESPN!

Comment

Glad you sensed something ahead. I have the same ability, whatever it is. It's helped me a few times, even when driving the Blazer.
              I think riding for as long as I have has made me a better driver too. I seem to have eyes in back of my head. I get some "false alarms" now and then, riding and driving, but I always listen to this extra sense.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!;)

Comment

Earl, LOL! Your 6th senses are real buddy. It's common for us with our everyday routine type lives to think that everything has to be logical and explainable but the simple truth is that our lives are not ordinary! That little voice/warning alarm/intuition/ call it whatever you want, it's real. It happens to many many people and I would think that a lot of those who claim it doesn't may be not listening. Or maybe for them it doesn't. Sounds like your is working just fine

Glad to hear that your still listening Earl and as such are OK

Comment

I wouldnt have crashed with my Kawa if i had listened to the inner feeling.

Good point Mark

Comment

Earl, you actually took her off the pedestal, out of the display case, and into the dirty, corrosive outside?? 8O

Oh, man... :roll:

What's happened to you? :?

Comment

I think it would be interesting if everyone that has had similar experiences would chime in with what has happened to them. It could be more of us are strange than we think. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                      Glad you sensed something ahead. I have the same ability, whatever it is. It's helped me a few times, even when driving the Blazer.
                      I think riding for as long as I have has made me a better driver too. I seem to have eyes in back of my head. I get some "false alarms" now and then, riding and driving, but I always listen to this extra sense.

Comment

I catch myself with those kind of feelings on occasion and whether I'm in the car or riding the bike I pay attention to them. One of the roads I drive quite regularly for work narrows and goes through a short tunnel with quite a sharp curve, it's marked for 60 KMH, about 40 MPH. Anyway this particular day I slowed more than I usually do for some reason and right in the middle of the tunnel an approaching semi truck was coming at me well over the centreline, I was on the outside of the curve so he was running really wide. Because I had slowed it allowed me to veer to the outside without hitting the wall and get me through a hole that was only about two feet wider than the car. I was driving the Accord at the time so it wasn't a very big hole. If I was going any faster I probably would have hit the wall, spun out and been driven over by the trailer wheels. We grow old because we listen to our instincts and premonitions.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site [URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/[/URL]
                        [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4306\/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          I think it would be interesting if everyone that has had similar experiences would chime in with what has happened to them. It could be more of us are strange than we think. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                          Earl, it happens quite regularly to me. All my life too. An extreme example however is a very old one, not bike related but still sends chills down your spine if you fully grasp it.

Me and my buddies (all of us like 13 to 14 years old) were hanging out late at night in the school parking lot right beside the one guys house. We were smoking cigs and just being teen kids when all of a sudden my thingy went off. I was no stranger to that feeling by that time in my life so I spoke up immediately and said "we need to get out of here RIGHT NOW!!! My buddies asked why and I told them I don't know but we have to go NOW!!! And I started to run into my friends yard behind the tall hedges. They all knew me by then and everyone followed but one kid who was new to hanging with us was saying we were retarded and refused to run so as he walked over with us the oncoming threat had time to see him. A car full of guys (most likely older drunken teens) came driving up and saw him duck in with us behind the hedge so they stopped and started to open fire on us with BB guns. We could here the shots snapping trough the hedges and some of them hitting the siding of the house but we had all hit the dirt so to speak and no one was hit. They sped off and his older brother came out of the house asking what that was he heard. He called the police and we gave our story. Since we claimed only being in his yard no one was sighted for curfew.

That stinking story got spread though the whole school and I had to endure ridicule as being a physic freak for years just because I cared enough to speak up but so be it. I've learned to listen to that voice in my life and I still do. Sometimes I may not hear as well as I used to but I do still hear it. Danger Danger Danger!!! When you hear that, listen.

Comment

I got a bad feeling when i first met Earl in Sebring. My first instinct was to get away from him. :?

Maybe thats why I got lost and he had to come back and find me to show me the way back to the highway???? 8O

Comment

Quite understandable Scotty. It was a treacherous, 1/10th mile of winding, hilly road ending in a "T".

Earl :-) :-)

Originally posted by scotty
                              I got a bad feeling when i first met Earl in Sebring. My first instinct was to get away from him. :?

Maybe thats why I got lost and he had to come back and find me to show me the way back to the highway???? 8O

Comment

Working...
                              X