so last night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so last night....

not a road story per se, but at the least a street story........, sorry :roll: ....I was riding ('82 1166E) home from the auto parts store last night after picking up a thermostat for the car, it was rush hour, which has substantial traffic here, near Sacramento Cal... 2 lanes each way with a turning lane in the center (speed is generally around 90-100 mph....... or 0) Traffic was stopped for the usual 1/4 mi. due to traffic light cycles at upcoming intersections. Lane splitting is legal for MCs, so I'm rolling at 5-10mph up between the parked cars, ... to the light....then comes the GIVEAWAY WARNING!!!! van in left lane has car-length space in front of it....solid van..... can't see through the windows,...... leaving large spaces in front of any particular vehicle in stopped traffic is a common occurence, .....usually dependent on the age, nationality or experience of the driver, I wasn't able to determine which...... the car in right lane has no space in front of it.....so I'm not thinking of the ever-common 'left turn in front of you' scenario, but still watching the open space....turns out the van on the left was indeed making way for, and masking a PU, going in the opposite direction, turning left across my path....the car on the right moved up, and dude making the turn went across...I was watching the open space as I rolled, and saw his grill as he entered my path, so I locked up both wheels,clutch out, ....too close and happening too fast to get much brake modulation feel before skid, watched his rear quarter panel pass... I missed ......but really barely...... I must admit I fixated on the fender as it went by, instead of the clearspace behind it.... and could have swung farther left as I skid(kind of worried about sliding under vehicle to my left though too)..... I did do some, but could have done more...you really do go where you look, is my point. I Didn't go down, or really even close to it, most importantly ...I did miss..... but I did stall.....since I've mostly been riding the other bike which is heel/down to upshift,(rocker shifter) toe down to downshift, Suzi is toe up to downshift, toe down to upshift( reverse of usual).....so naturally ....I kicked her (toe down) right into 3rd, started it up, let out the clutch...and stalled again....hmmmm I thought...so I kicked her down again into (now) 4th,....... started up, let out clutch........and(surprise) stalled yet again!! Then my brain (barely functioning piece of $!## that it is) lumbered in....ummmmm different bike stupid.... I kicked it UP! 4 to 1st, started up, let out the clutch ...... and rode off....the spectators were all very polite and I didn't here a horn blow or anything,did do it fast though..... no-one missed a light. ....But I lost the damn thermostat...even went back to look for it

Take thanks in that you are able to walk (ride) away from this.

Comment

You're not the only one to ever have a momentary loss on which bike you're riding.

When I was in the service I had a Triumph Trident, Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki Rebel T350, and a Yamaha R5 (350), In the first couple of blocks in would almost invariably either try to shift with the brake pedal or stop with the shift lever. The result would remind me of what I was riding and I would be ok until I switched bikes the next time.

Comment

What kind ogf goof uses a reversed shift pattern. You are just asking for trouble. Gee Dave

Comment

Whenever I ride my bicycle I find myself looking for the mirrors and trying to tap my rear brake w/ my right foot. Brain Fart!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
            What kind ogf goof uses a reversed shift pattern. You are just asking for trouble. Gee Dave
            Thats not the worst thing I've ridden. How about old Kawasaki's with fully rotary shifters. The shift from 5th to 1st can be really exciting.

The actual shift pattern is N 1 2 3 4 5 and an upshift again is N then 1. It wasn't uncommon for people including myself to think they had missed 5th and put it in 1st.

The only thing that saved me when I did it was that we were racing down a gravel road so when I hit 1st the rear basically locked up --- the rear wheel was actually still turning only it was going much slower than when the bike was in 5th. I saw a guy do it on an Avenger at 100 and he made very small pieces out of his tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
              Thats not the worst thing I've ridden. How about old Kawasaki's with fully rotary shifters. The shift from 5th to 1st can be really exciting.

The actual shift pattern is N 1 2 3 4 5 and an upshift again is N then 1. It wasn't uncommon for people including myself to think they had missed 5th and put it in 1st.

The only thing that saved me when I did it was that we were racing down a gravel road so when I hit 1st the rear basically locked up --- the rear wheel was actually still turning only it was going much slower than when the bike was in 5th. I saw a guy do it on an Avenger at 100 and he made very small pieces out of his tranny.

I Almost got killed riding one of those Mike.

Comment

HeeeHeeee!! Sounds like we're onto something here....a rotary shifter on the right With a front and rear brake linked pedal on the left... a real crowd-pleaser maybe move the clutch to the right handlebar lever.......add a reverse gear operated by a jockey shifter on the tank

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
                  HeeeHeeee!! Sounds like we're onto something here....a rotary shifter on the right With a front and rear brake linked pedal on the left... a real crowd-pleaser maybe move the clutch to the right handlebar lever.......add a reverse gear operated by a jockey shifter on the tank
                  Dave I know you are creative and very capable also.
                  Now I add totally wacko to your list of qualities.

JAN TOLD ME BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS THE WHITE RUSSIANS TALKING

Comment

. (snip)
                    Now I add totally wacko to your list of qualities.

JAN TOLD ME (snip)

It's the one quality that makes the others bearable and the reason She loves me 8O

Comment

Working...
                    X