What a weekend.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a weekend.....

So, this weekend, I planned some routine maintenance for the 450; oil and filter change, switch out the clubman bars for superbike bars, new front brake switch, new brake pads, and bleed the brakes.

Sounds easy enough.

Started by draining the oil and removing the filter and let it drain while I was doing my other maintenance. I took off the clubman bars and got the superbike bars on, replaced the switch while the bars were off, and went to put it all back together.

#1 snag. I touched the brake light switch to something and caused my main fuse not just to fail, but actually explode. Sounded like a gun shot.

OK, so I went on GSR to find out where the fuse was . Got it replaced and moved on.

#2 snag. The o-ring for the filter cover seemed a bit to big, but I used a little grease to keep it in the groove and put the cover back on. Then I filled the case with oil. Went back into the house for a well-deserved iced tea (It was VERY hot here this weekend) and sat on the couch for an hour in the AC.
    I had a surprise party to go to, so I decided to let the brakes go 'til Sunday. Sunday morning, I find a puddle of fresh oil under my bike and noticed the filter cover o-ring was sticking out (I don't know how I missed that on saturday). I took the cover off, removed the now severed new o-ring, and thankfully had my old one handy. I put the old one back on (it wasn't too bad) and tightened up and didn't think about it. Took the bike to work monday, and noticed a puddle underneath my bike again. I thought maybe I didn't tighten the cover enough, so I tightened them, and wound up stripping one of the studs, I think. (it was leaking from the filter cover. i never had a leak before this weekend).

#3 snag. On sunday when I was doing the brakes, replacing thepads went smoothly, then I tried to loosen the bleeder screw and snapped it off flush with the caliper. It didn't come loose, so I'm not losing brake fluid, but I need to bleed the system. I went ahead and found a used caliper on ebay and bought it.

So now i have to replace the caliper, get that one acorn nut off (I also bought 3 new studs, nuts, washers, o-ring, drain plug and drain plug gasket from bike bandit), replace the studs, basically change the oil again, and bleed the brakes...

At least my front brake light switch works now .

-charles

At least you didn't ride it....

One of my most interesting special moments...

I did the same thing, pinching the o-ring, but it wasn't sticking out, just out of its grove. So I stopped to make a left turn. Then started to pull up and turn, except I did a 180°... The o-ring had spit out and started pouring oil onto the ground, and of course the tire went through it. In retrospect, this could have been A LOT worse.

I have found that by cleaning the groove so its DRY (screwdriver and rag), then using dielectric grease to hold the o-ring in place works well. It is very sticky, and does not like to deform as much as a thinner grease.

Keep It Vertical!
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I severed the o-ring once. after that, I started to put a thin layer of oil in the groove and the o-ring has always stayed in after that. Works great.

Comment

Welcome to the F!@ked up world that all mechanics get to enjoy!

Comment

At least you didn't strip the oil pan drain plug.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            At least you didn't strip the oil pan drain plug.
            That's the next oil change!

Brad tt

BTW I had a similar problem with my 1100's filter cover gasket. I replaced the filter, but not the gasket (re-used the old one). It dripped oil onto the exhaust and smoked horribly. I thought for sure that someone was gonna hop out of their car and start hosing me and the bike down with a fire extinguisher.

Comment

I have had the leaky gasket problem too. Like said before, clean out the grove and put in some fresh oil before and a little on top. It shouldn't move. I also stripped an acorn nut and stud. After the pain of getting it out I just installed a bolt and tightened it carefully. The price you pay when you self mechanic on a 26 year old bike. Sometimes it is fun to tinker with though.

Comment

more problems, only one fixed...

Well, I replaced the studs, gasket, nuts, and washers and all seems good on the oil end.

HOWEVER (), after I finished with this, I went back inside without covering my bike. It was a hot, beautiful day, no clouds, no humidity, not a shower forcasted for a week. Well, that night we get a gigantic thunder storm. I went out in the morning before work and tried to start my bike and it was only running on one cylinder. I changed the plug to a new one, and still only running on one. I check the spark against the head, and it was blue, but looked pretty wimpy. I'm thinking the coil went. Could that have been a result of the nasty storm?

I have pods on the bike, so I was also thinking I sucked in a little water. I put a bottle of dry gas in the tank and now the bike will fire on both cylinders, but only when choked (while before i NEVER had to choke the bike because it was running rich to begin with).

So, now I have to ditich the pods, go back to stock jetting with the stock air box and switch out the coils.

I still haven't replaced the caliper, but I haven't driven the bike, either.

headaches for nearly a month now!!! not to mention that i get the standard "All you care about is working on your bike..." lecture biweekly.

:?
                Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

What was that line from the Beatles song.........
                  And in the end, the love you save is equal to the night? or something like that.........
                  point is how much better do you feel knowing you fixed it?

As a tip, take the filter cover gasket and heat it up a little.'Just set it on your seat for a few minutes. This makes it more pliable.
                  A drop of fresh oil into the clean groove of the cover and it will sit right in there for you.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                  X