X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been There, Done That, Couldn't Afford the D#mn T Shirt!:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'd go for it! I don't get away for long rides very often, but my bike seems to run better and get stronger the farther we get from home!

Enjoy the ride - I think the age of the bike makes it a little bit more satisfying when a long trip is completed.

Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by drcoopster
        Is it common to break clutch cables? I've broken 2 in probably 2 months.

-Ian
        Yikes, that there is a problem. Is it breaking right at the lever? At the barrel that installs into the lever itself? Use a genuine Suzuki clutch cable. They have the plastic sleeve that covers the barrel and allows that barrel to move as the lever is pulled.

Mine usually take over 3 or 4 years to break, but when they do, you'll wish you had a clutch cable with you (I always do now).
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Dress for the ride...

The bike will likely be fine. Be prepared for everything and nothing will happen. Dammed goofey the way it works, but it does...

Make sure to dress for the ride. By that I mean stay covered! I always get a charge out of seeing people riding in 100 degree heat (living in Texas, I see this a lot) and wearing nothing more than a T-shirt! I'm a bit against more conventional wisdom in that I really don't like mesh either, especially on a bike with no fairing. Here are some thoughts, and please excuse me if you've heard them before. My wife calls me a safety nazi...wish my insurance company thought the same;

1) Your body more like a water cooled engine rather than an air cooled engine. Both types of engines need air flowing, but water cooled engines need water to carry the heat for exchange.

2) If your body isn't covered when riding, two things occur. A) The sunlight gets an unimpeaded shot at your skin giving you a nice slow roasting. Not good. B) Your body is working like mad making persperation to carry off the heat, but before it can, the persperation is blown off of your skin, preventing maximum heat exchange. Because of this, your body goes into persperation producing overdrive, causing you to dehydrate at an even faster pace.

3) Blocking the sun's rays while regulating the volume and velocity of air around you will pay huge dividends in how well your body will cope with the heat.

I get funny glances all the time in the summer because I wear a full aerostich (www.aerostich.com), tall Combat Touring Boots, and a full faced Arai helmet, regardless of temperature. When stopped, I begin to slow roast very quickly, and it's MOST uncomfortable. However, when moving, I stay reasonbly cool in temperatures over 100 degrees for hours on end. This is because the suit allows me to control the flow of air (slows it down) and carries the heat off. The sweat doesn't evaporate too quickly, and I don't dehydrate as quickly.

Sorry for the lecture! I'm not a know-it-all (closer to know-not-much), but I've been laying down miles in big numbers for a few years (mental illness:-D )and I've learned a trick or two from some veterens.

Most of all, have some danged fun! Rip it up!!!

Allen
          "Ever seen a Brinks truck following a hearse?"

Comment

I have to say I agree with using a regular, non-mesh jacket for longer rides. I wear a nylon Joe Rocket Atomic with a damp t-shirt under it. As long as your moving, it's like having the A/C on. Works really well.

Comment

Marvin, I did 840 miles round trip on the Westates GSR rally a few weekends ago. On the ride home I was punching through 105 degree heat most of the way. The 1100 held up exceptionally well. I on the other hand, felt like I was in a blast furnace. I think I found the only shady spot in Tracy, Ca and took a break for half an hour. We made it home, safe & sound.

I hope your trip will be fun & memorable. Take lots of pics!

Comment

Piling the miles up.

Just some notes...A while ago when I had my 79 1000 I made a run from Portland Oregon all the way down near the border at Medford...a droning straight shot on I-5 Interstate some 300+ miles. It was in the high ninties and in retrospect the flow of air thru my leather jacket WAS of paramount importance....true when I came to a stop (Gas) the percieved temperature made for the previously mentioned slow cook. As a footnote ,during my stay in Medford (100F+) I took it upon myself to cruise the local downtown at night & I promptly overheated my machine & she still got me home without so much as a wimper.
                _____________________________________________Rick. .........

Comment

How do you know if your GS is overheating though?

Originally posted by Rick
                  .....during my stay in Medford (100F+) I took it upon myself to cruise the local downtown at night & I promptly overheated my machine & she still got me home without so much as a wimper._Rick..........
                  Question: How do you know (on an air-cooled motorcycle) that it's "overheated"? Does it just quit and refuse to turn over, or what? Its never happened to me, so I'm at a loss how one would know it's happened.

Otherwise, I'd just get on the bike and GO MAN GO. I think most of our GSs are ROCK SOLID. Just plan for easy little problems, and drive sensibly.

Comment

Originally posted by wharrah
                    Question: How do you know (on an air-cooled motorcycle) that it's "overheated"? Does it just quit and refuse to turn over, or what? Its never happened to me, so I'm at a loss how one would know it's happened.

Otherwise, I'd just get on the bike and GO MAN GO. I think most of our GSs are ROCK SOLID. Just plan for easy little problems, and drive sensibly.
                    ___Well during the "cruising" we were all going a walking speed for some two hours or so in the high heat...first symtom was she started blowing blue smoke...second was the clutch started chattering.. third...noting something was up & I pulled it over & shut her down this loud mettalic 'clinking' sound....the same heat sound you get off an exaust system...tink, tink, tink, tink....
                    I did abuse her during that cruise...but what did I know??..Now I know better....They all need airflow thru the engine to cool properly....hours of walking speed & high temps conspired against me.
                    ________________________________________Rick.....

Comment

Update from the Cassville Library!

Well. I'm Here! Rode it Straight Through, 425 Miles (A Record 1 Day Ride for Me) Got to Casseville about 10:30 Last Night after a Couple of Trips into Arkansas due to Faulty Directions from Locals! Bike Did Great and My Butt is Recovering.:-D Great Roads Here Folks, Get here Sometime!

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
                        Well. I'm Here! Rode it Straight Through, 425 Miles (A Record 1 Day Ride for Me) Got to Casseville about 10:30 Last Night after a Couple of Trips into Arkansas due to Faulty Directions from Locals! Bike Did Great and My Butt is Recovering.:-D Great Roads Here Folks, Get here Sometime!
                        Good! :-D
                        Remember: If anything major happens, just call me.

Best regards,
                        Jeff

Comment

A few weeks ago when I was on a GSResources ride 1000 miles from home and in another country I asked myself if I was crazy to be doing this on a 23 year old bike.

Made it there and home no problem.

Don't worry about the bike and enjoy the trip!! These bikes will always get you home!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have always had the thought that, if it feels good to ride, then ride it.

When I bought the GK it felt good....a month after that I drove from Toronto to and through most of Nova Scotia.

I did have a problem when the R/R failed while sitting on a highway at night...no where to go as the highway was closed. The bike shut down instantly, so it needed a push to the roadside.

I pulled off rear box and seat, disconnected the R/R, waited for traffic to clear and rode on. (sounds easy, but there was almost no light at all, so it took a while)

I had a few tools in the saddle bag, so I was able to replace the stator and R/R when I got the bike back to my daughter's yard. She had a voltmeter and a soldering iron, (required because I used a Honda R/R) otherwise I needed nothing.
                            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'm Back!

Rolled in about 6:00 this Evening. Here are the Facts: Total Miles Wed. through Today 1100 +, Average Fuel Mileage 42 mpg, Total Bike Trouble 0, Having a Sore Butt from Riding and Sore Face from Smiling So Much, PRICELESS!:-D

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbutt View Post
                                The bike will likely be fine. Be prepared for everything and nothing will happen. Dammed goofey the way it works, but it does...

Make sure to dress for the ride. By that I mean stay covered! I always get a charge out of seeing people riding in 100 degree heat (living in Texas, I see this a lot) and wearing nothing more than a T-shirt! I'm a bit against more conventional wisdom in that I really don't like mesh either, especially on a bike with no fairing. Here are some thoughts, and please excuse me if you've heard them before. My wife calls me a safety nazi...wish my insurance company thought the same;

1) Your body more like a water cooled engine rather than an air cooled engine. Both types of engines need air flowing, but water cooled engines need water to carry the heat for exchange.

2) If your body isn't covered when riding, two things occur. A) The sunlight gets an unimpeaded shot at your skin giving you a nice slow roasting. Not good. B) Your body is working like mad making persperation to carry off the heat, but before it can, the persperation is blown off of your skin, preventing maximum heat exchange. Because of this, your body goes into persperation producing overdrive, causing you to dehydrate at an even faster pace.

3) Blocking the sun's rays while regulating the volume and velocity of air around you will pay huge dividends in how well your body will cope with the heat.

I get funny glances all the time in the summer because I wear a full aerostich (www.aerostich.com), tall Combat Touring Boots, and a full faced Arai helmet, regardless of temperature. When stopped, I begin to slow roast very quickly, and it's MOST uncomfortable. However, when moving, I stay reasonbly cool in temperatures over 100 degrees for hours on end. This is because the suit allows me to control the flow of air (slows it down) and carries the heat off. The sweat doesn't evaporate too quickly, and I don't dehydrate as quickly.

Sorry for the lecture! I'm not a know-it-all (closer to know-not-much), but I've been laying down miles in big numbers for a few years (mental illness:-D )and I've learned a trick or two from some veterens.

Most of all, have some danged fun! Rip it up!!!

Allen
                                "Ever seen a Brinks truck following a hearse?"
                                I was guessing that I was the only Aerostich year rounder on this forum.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X